#211 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

oh right you're an "independent"

do the employers not pay unemployment taxes then unemployment if someone is fired?

not sure what that has to do with poo wages

if it disgusts you so how servers are treated you can do a couple of things. start your own company and hire them and pay them whatever your little squeaky little heart wants to pay them.

or run for office and use your adept debating skills you have honed here and make a difference.

false dichotomy

and my takeaways were aimed at most if not all of us but your razor thin conscience took it as it was all about you.

i'm the only one named and i not only addressed that part but also took it upon myself to debunk the rest

im pretty sure if someone isn't making money with tips, they would soon move on to something more stable.

that seems to contradict this:

tip over 15% and quit reducing the role someone plays down to what you think it is. if tipping is so painful start cooking at home.

so which is it?

millions and millons and MILLIONS of people have worked in this industry and transistioned just fine.

[citation needed]
[spell check needed]

also no one's really talking about "transitioning" anyway so i think you might be posting in the wrong topic or just spinning idk

#212 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,996 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Horribly wrong.

Exactly.

I have traveled all over Europe, Asia, and South America on business. I have eaten in avg and very fine dining establishments in dozens if countries. On avg, the service in most other countries is below avg.

#213 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

oh right you're an "independent"

not sure what that has to do with poo wages

false dichotomy

i'm the only one named and i not only addressed that part but also took it upon myself to debunk the rest

that seems to contradict this:

so which is it?

[citation needed]
[spell check needed]

also no one's really talking about "transitioning" anyway so i think you might be posting in the wrong topic or just spinning idk

oh good god. spell check?

you have no life do you? you really truly don't.

the poo wages you cry about and me mentiong unemployment is the fact the ones employing these people are paying that. the owners do pay taxes on those serfs working there.

ya know. i'm not going to waste another nano second with you.

i'm not even going to put you on ignore. i will ignore you the old school way.

#214 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

False: I neg rep you and then I eat breakfast, which consists of a nice healthy balanced meal of Republican tears

you should eat first, then the neg repping would be, you know, like dessert

never neg rep on an empty stomach

#215 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

my mistake. if i had known that you were going to use that as a convenient excuse to ignore the rest of the post i wouldn't have included it. however had i not done that, you prob wouldn't have replied at all

#216 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

you have no life do you? you really truly don't.

the poo wages you cry about and me mentiong unemployment is the fact the ones employing these people are paying that. the owners do pay taxes on those serfs working there.

ya know. i'm not going to waste another nano second with you.

i'm not even going to put you on ignore. i will ignore you the old school way.

Sometimes you gotta go old school.

#217 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,363 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

from what I hear service in countries were tipping isn't customary far exceeds ours.

Depends. Restaurants in tourist areas expect tips and will stop short of giving you a handjob for a tip.
Outside of tourist areas, servers might even take a "hurry up and order, quit asking questions" approach.
Greek and Kuwaiti restaurants have the best service I've ever seen. Most of Europe (outside of tourist areas) don't have that great of servers.
Mexico, for some reason, seems to have better service outside of tourist areas.

Keep in mind, these are sweeping generalizations based on my limited experiences. PhillyB might show up with completely different experiences.

#218 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,692 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Depends. Restaurants in tourist areas expect tips and will stop short of giving you a handjob for a tip.
Outside of tourist areas, servers might even take a "hurry up and order, quit asking questions" approach.
Greek and Kuwaiti restaurants have the best service I've ever seen. Most of Europe (outside of tourist areas) don't have that great of servers.
Mexico, for some reason, seems to have better service outside of tourist areas.

Keep in mind, these are sweeping generalizations based on my limited experiences. PhillyB might show up with completely different experiences.

well mine are sweeping generalizations too as i've never been to europe or africa and i've only rarely been to any upscale restaurants internationally (or locally cause i don't spend my money in stupid ways) so my experience is limited to low-to-mid scale restaurants in central and south america and southeast asia.

in latin america i've found, as a general rule, that speed in greeting, order-taking, and other such important features of the american dining experience are not considered particularly urgent (a clear clash of chronomaniacal western culture with cultures more concerned with interpersonal relationship) but the service is no less personal for it. the dynamic of course changes when you can speak the local language of a place (and my spanish is passable but not much more, which means i don't really get to see if the waiter/waitress are generally chatty.

tip-wise you're profiled if you're a foreigner, which is to be expected i suppose, and tipping is generally expected. in most foreign countries i leave a ten percent tip, which is often not even expected, and as such a surprise and generally very much appreciated.

some of the extra touristy places will try to shake you down for a bigger tip. my first time to latin america started in cancun, and the waiter came out after his 10% tip and demanded more, which we, taken aback, gave him.

southeast asia was about the same (though i generally ate from street vendors and food stalls that didn't have wait staff, so my experience isn't quite up to par.)

#219 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,692 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

as a bartender i am conflicted about the "black people don't tip" debate for a variety of reasons, and watching the debates (and pstall vs GS mudslinging) has made things even more complex for me.

of course the "black people don't tip" misnomer has been deconstructed long ago (and nearly roundly ignored) by my presentation of the simple fact that socio-economic factors are at play. it's not that black people don't tip, it's that poor people don't tip, and a black person is statistically more likely to fit into those lower socio-economic brackets. and then you have the culture of poverty at play, which is essentially a sociological term coined to describe the passing of various societal traits based in and reflecting poverty (such as not tipping) that is passed on in spite of an individual's eventual accumulation of wealth (which is why you often hear of rich athletes who come from poor families tipping poorly.)

i've used my time at the bar to analyze these things pretty heavily. there have been plenty of times where i've gotten stiffed by black people, but i've gotten stiffed by enough white people and hispanic people and asian people to realize that the issue is far more nuanced than people want to admit. there's just a lot of varying factors conflicting and most of them transcend race. it just happens to be that skin color is the most instantly noticeable thing about a person and therefore it's the lazy (read: easy) correlation to make, regardless of accuracy.

#220 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

my whole thing is...it just depends. we all have been burnt by someone who is a dif race to some degree. by no means is that person the official ambassador of an entire race. thats easy.

i just look at the person and leave it at that.

#221 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,205 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

In the UK and Ireland I would always leave a tip of 20% on the first night at a destination. The next few days my wife and I were treated like royalty at every resort, castle, and spa we stayed at.

#222 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,566 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

In the UK and Ireland I would always leave a tip of 20% on the first night at a destination. The next few days my wife and I were treated like royalty at every resort, castle, and spa we stayed at.

Was it the tips, or was it because they thought you were this guy?

Posted Image

#223 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Was it the tips, or was it because they thought you were this guy?

Posted Image

they just didn't want to have to clean up any heads.

#224 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

according to the OP, 40% admit to "changing the way they treat people" here in nc

also stop trying to justify stereotyping

um if you discriminate based upon race due to the fuged up system of which you're a part of, it sure as fug sounds like you're blaming them

Ummmm, don't you stereotype every time you spout off about capitalist swine, and stupid gun toting Republicans?

Stop being so angry and open your eyes, there is a real world out there.

You want to know what....I often gave up my Sunday shifts because of the types of folks that came into my restaurant......you know, after church white folks that were needy and tip poorly. Not to mention the average table cost was lower than every other day of the week.

More work and less tips = No fuzz

I have watched Michael Jordan shaft a restaurant not just for a tip, but also for the entire meal and drinks.....and have also seen Steve Buschemi do the same.

#225 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,632 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Other countries give great service with no tips because they know your using plates they ran through their buttcracks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.