#46 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

how did you control for the socio-economic statuses of each of the individuals in your sample? without specific knowledge of each one your conclusion is fundamentally flawed, and as such completely expendable, and arguably dangerous because you're tossing around unsound data under the guise of scientific derivation.

If your socio-economic status is such that you can't afford to leave a proper tip, then you do not have the disposable income to be eating out in the first place.

I have reached no conclusions, in my opinion it has to far more to do with culture than anything else.

Race has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I do not tip less than 20% EVER.

#47 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Pretty easy to get actual statistics...why not just do it.

#48 TbTeRRoR

TbTeRRoR

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

quick change your argument entirely and disguise it as though it's what you've been saying all along! then say something that makes you look like someone everyone can relate to! then peace out! no one is a match for TBTeRRoR

Dude I just finished my left overs and I went back and read my first post and what are you talking about? "Is that racism?" yeah I know it is. It's called sarcasm. I've not flipped on anything. I've moved from here to there a bit, but that's me in any conversation I have about anything. My mind races and just can't find the finish line.

I will plainly state my view. Yes it is racial/cism. You should treat them the same regardless of what you think your chances of a good tip are. The other thing I asked is it Racism for me to Go into a job thinking this probably won't pay off? Is it? Experience is the only measuring stick here. You don't know whos got money and who doesn't.

#49 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

When I was living in Chapel Hill, one of my best friends went to this little breakfast place up off Frankiln St. A typical "Rams Club"-type place. A lot of snooty white folks acting like the place is all theirs and such... He walks in, the waitress hurriedly rushes up to him and says, "You want to come have a seat in the back?" It wasn't a question it was more like a nicely stated demand.

Only black guy in there and coincidentally, he is asked if he would like to sit separate from the rest of the patrons.

That kind of stuff is why I laugh at people convinced everything is "even" now, lol.

#50 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,112 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Servers treat young people different too, for the same reason that they're perceived as poor tippers.

Just as wrong or no?

#51 TbTeRRoR

TbTeRRoR

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Servers treat young people different too, for the same reason that they're perceived as poor tippers.

Just as wrong or no?

My wife has said the same. Also older white people with money (country club types/ lower/ high society types) don't tip very well either.

Now the guys who own things like Murphy farms and stuff like that are more down to earth and tip well.

There is a line of perception across a few different fields. They are blurry because of the exception to rules type, but they are there none the less

#52 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• HUDDLER
  • 6,688 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Black people not tipping is common knowledge, right or wrong.

#53 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Just as wrong or no?

Ageism is wrong, too.

Dunno if it's "just as wrong." I don't really like trying to classify which types of discrimination are worst.

#54 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

it's amazing how quickly people will start to discriminate when you monetarily incentivize them to.

#55 GAme

GAme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I don't blame them. Stereotypes are funny because they are true. This happens because they are repeatedly treated that way by black patrons, not prejudice.

#56 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Well, after a lot of back and forth, it seems that there still might be a bit of prejudice, but by and large, it is a monetary issue.

Who is gonna give you the bucks? That is who I want to serve. Hard to grasp?

Just think, the goverment giving out bucks and guess who gets behind them? All who get the money. Money talks.

#57 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,148 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

from the comment section of the Daily Fail:

Posted Image

The first comment was made by Peter North. :)

#58 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

I don't blame them. Stereotypes are funny because they are true.

You've just sided with Grits 'R Great saying that Cam sucks because black people can't play QB.

#59 GAme

GAme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

You've just sided with Grits 'R Great saying that Cam sucks because black people can't play QB.

No. Some black people can play qb. Just like some black people tip. lol

#60 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

And sink to the bottom with the submarines.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationOut in God's country.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

You also have to throw in the manner in which people learn how to tip. Some people don't even know how to calculate a tip. So education plays a role in this as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com