Photo
- - - - -

Luck, Griffin, Wilson, Kaepernick, Ponder, Dalton, Fox. All in playoffs.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 footballisasport

footballisasport

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Griffin/Ponder have been helped by a really great run game. I doubt they would have made the playoffs without Morris/Peterson.

Wilson has been helped by his team greatly overachieving and having a gritty defense.

Kaepernick was dropped into a DREAM situation for a rookie QB.

John Fox made the playoffs with The Golden Calf of Bristol....it was a given that he was going this year with Peyton.

Andy Dalton's success really surprises me because on the surface the Bengals don't look that good. I'm going to chalk it up to some great coaching.

What Andrew luck has done just defies all logic. He was put into an awful situation and has somehow made the Colts playoff contenders again. Maybe he really is the next Manning?

What really annoys me is that I think the Panthers are more talented than all of those teams. Cam really seems like the only person on the team who cares at times. I don't know if it's to blame on the coaches or if it's just pansy players.

In all honesty, if the Colts wanted to invest time helping their back-up QB succeed in 2011 and forgo gettng Luck they could have. I'm not buying the whole Luck came in and save the day stuff. Especially when this team was a Play-off contending team a season before with Peyton and could have been had they kept Peyton instead of trading him for Luck. This seems like another made for TV hype like the one with The Golden Calf of Bristol.

The guy had more Ints than Cam. Supposedly did what Cam did last year in passing stats and his team gets to the play off comfortably his first season and Cam didn't with all that he did his rookie in both passing and rush TDs that season. Yeah right. The Colts, as a team, was not as bad as projected by the media.

#52 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

In all honesty, if the Colts wanted to invest time helping their back-up QB succeed in 2011 and forgo gettng Luck they could have. I'm not buying the whole Luck came in and save the day stuff. Especially when this team was a Play-off contending team a season before with Peyton and could have been had they kept Peyton instead of trading him for Luck. This seems like another made for TV hype like the one with The Golden Calf of Bristol.

The guy had more Ints than Cam. Supposedly did what Cam did last year in passing stats and his team gets to the play off comfortably his first season and Cam didn't with all that he did his rookie in both passing and rush TDs that season. Yeah right.

Luck accounted for less overall yards, less overall TDs than Newton. Luck had more turnovers.

Team sport. QB play is important.....but they don't actually win and lose on their own.

#53 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Stewart - trading up to get a great RB, but we already had Williams.

carolina didn't trade up to get stewart.

#54 footballisasport

footballisasport

HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Luck accounted for less overall yards, less overall TDs than Newton. Luck had more turnovers.

Team sport. QB play is important.....but they don't actually win and lose on their own.

You're right.

I sometimes believe, for whatever reason, some on here put way to much emphasis on the role of the QB.

If a QB has fire in his belly to win. Those around him have to have twice the amount of fire in their bellies in order to win.

#55 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

luck's stats weren't as impressive as Cam's last year but tbh his game winning drivers were VERY big this year. not saying he is as good as Cam or anything like that, but you can't just look at his stats.

that being said I'd probably still vote for RG3 (or fug, alfred morris holy crap) for OROY.

#56 thennek

thennek

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationNorth Carolina
HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

That's right. The Panthers traded up to get Otah, not Stewart.

#57 Fox007

Fox007

HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Wilson should be OROY IMO

RG3 had like what 100 yards passing last night?

RG3 may not even be the best rookie on his own team.

#58 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

luck's stats weren't as impressive as Cam's last year but tbh his game winning drivers were VERY big this year. not saying he is as good as Cam or anything like that, but you can't just look at his stats.

that being said I'd probably still vote for RG3 (or fug, alfred morris holy crap) for OROY.

yeah but game winning drives is all a team oriented thing. Skip Bayless would argue it isn't and was just The Golden Calf of Bristol.

Big difference between a QB needing to drive 30 yards with a timeout for a fg winning with 1:45 on the clock......vs. asking a QB to drive 80 yards, needing a TD, no timeouts, 45 sec on the clock. First scenario guy is clutch.....2nd one choked.

I actually think Alfred was more impressive than RGIII this year. RG is hype. His throws aren't impressive. He gets credit for being accurate with them.... Take Alfred away from RGIII and I imagine he would have really struggled this year.

#59 Fox007

Fox007

HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

yeah but game winning drives is all a team oriented thing. Skip Bayless would argue it isn't and was just The Golden Calf of Bristol.

Big difference between a QB needing to drive 30 yards with a timeout for a fg winning with 1:45 on the clock......vs. asking a QB to drive 80 yards, needing a TD, no timeouts, 45 sec on the clock. First scenario guy is clutch.....2nd one choked.

I actually think Alfred was more impressive than RGIII this year. RG is hype. His throws aren't impressive. Take Alfred away from RGIII and I imagine he would have really struggled this year.

We seem to be thinking very similar this AM.

#60 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

okay. it is a team game, I agree... but Luck doesn't exactly have a great defense behind him like The Golden Calf of Bristol did.

let's look at 4 of Luck's 4th quarter/OT winning TD drives...

vs GB, GB up 27 to 22, 4:30 left, drive took 4 minutes. 81 yards, 2 pt conversion.
vs TEN, overtime, Colts get possession first. 76 yards for a TD.
vs DET, DET up 33 to 28, 1:07 left. 1:07 drive, 76 yards.
vs KC, score tied 13-13, 10 min left in the 4th, 6 min drive, 73 yards

There were other drives that ended in FGs to win or preserve leads, and if those were the only ones he had then you'd have a point, but that is NOT the case. He had long fields on multiple occasions, with varying amounts of time on the clock, and he was able to drive his team down the field and help them win the game. yes it's a team game, and it's not like Luck was a 4th quarter god, but I think his game winning drives were very impressive for a rookie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users