Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruff

Darin Gantt brings up the idea of Ken Whisenhunt to the Panthers

69 posts in this topic

good coach? maybe

better than rivera? maybe

better than rivera to the point of being worth it to fire rivera and make the switch? i doubt it.

This is kind of the way I feel about it. Sure, he is probably a better coach than Rivera, but is he so much better that we scrap what we've done for two years to get him? No, I don't think he is.

However, if Rivera was to be let go, and I were the GM, I would definitely interview Whisenhunt.

How is Whis not a upgrade? He has tons of HC experience and went to the SB recently

an upgrade potential as a HC in terms of game management. He can't do what Rivera did with out D.

Biggest factor is we need to be consistant around Cam. That alone probably is worth not doing anything this year with our coaches. Cam stability in the short term likely pays bigger gains for us big picture.

1 person likes this

Rivera HC

Ken/Norv OC

Lovie DC

This is upgrade

3 people like this

I'm all for getting rid of Ron as long as we hire a clear upgrade. Wisenhunt and Lovie don't fit that bill.

A dead fish would be a clear upgrade over Rivera.

Doubt Rivera fires Chud if he stays.

Magnus mentioned Newton and Shula might nrt have the greatest relationship (no real confirmation, just stuff he's heard)

Norv as QB Coach would work.

1 person likes this

Doubt Rivera fires Chud if he stays.

Doubt it would be up to Rivera.

How is Whis not a upgrade? He has tons of HC experience and went to the SB recently

I wouldn't call 5 years ago recently. Plus he got to the SB on Warner back. Warner didn't need coaching. Warner already been to the SB before been a Cards. QB. Warner had been a good QB before joining the Cards. So Whisenhunt hasn't proved he can groom a good team. Warner is the only reason for the Cards going to the SB. Period.

Rivera HC

Ken/Norv OC

Lovie DC

This is upgrade

Lovie at DC isn't realistic. Lovie essentially fired Rivera off his staff after Rivera had that unit turned into one of the top units in the NFL.

No. Darin Gannt is an imbecile.

don't shoot the messenger, I think Ken could be an upgrade too, his biggest problem is that he's not had a QB, and we have one.

also fwiw Darin Gantt while I do not always agree with him is still the best Panthers Beat writer we've ever had.

2 people like this

I'm all for getting rid of Ron as long as we hire a clear upgrade. Wisenhunt and Lovie don't fit that bill.

I definately agree with getting rid of Rivera ONLY as long as the replacement is a clear upgrade. This is one reason why I prefer him over a cooridinator or college coach.

My biggest fear no matter what though is another horrible start to next season and we are back to having questions at HC, regardless who has the job next year.

Doubt it would be up to Rivera.

If Jerry doesn't fire Rivera, I doubt he's gonna force staff changes on him.

Head coaches just about always have final say on their staff.

don't shoot the messenger, I think Ken could be an upgrade too, his biggest problem is that he's not had a QB, and we have one.

also fwiw Darin Gantt while I do not always agree with him is still the best Panthers Beat writer we've ever had.

Couldn't agree with this more.

Especially the part about Gantt. He may sometimes be sarcastic, he might sometimes be a jerk, but he is infinitely more awesome than that tool Joe Person, and he he was also responsible for getting us more national attention on PFT, like it or not.

And back to Whis, you're right. His one problem is that he couldn't get the right QB. But, dozens of coaches could say that. It's not like QBs grow on trees.