Josh Norman Was Really Benched

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I dont get Rivera. He states that hes going to play the young players so they can gain experience etc and so that the coaches can get a look at them but then benches them for making a mistake.

He benched young players that don't show enough good to make up for the mistakes/learning.

Cam, Luke, Fua, McClain, Alexander, Norman.....all where given tons of playing time and starts.

Norman just week in and week out allowed the same stuff to occur.

#47 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

But my issue is when we were playing "soft" coverages teams weren't picking on Josh Thomas. Norman played soft coverages even softer than intended IMO. Rivera would consistently address the manner in which Norman played the zone coverage.

He is a 5th round CB from a small school. too early to give up on that bc he didn't play like a first round rookie thrown into the fire

You are exactly right about Thomas. He hammered NO at the LOS--I was amazed. Moore actually was knocked off his feet a few times. Thomas is the real deal. Once I saw him miss a jam, and the WR did a swim move over him. Burned, I thought. Thomas recovered very quickly and was in the WR's hip pocket in four strides. I could not believe it. The announcers were busy talking about alligators in swamps or something and missed it.

My criticism is that CB has been ignored by Hurney (no worse that WR or DT have been ignored--before Cam, we could add QB to that list) and RR had to play a fifth rounder. A big, veteran WR and a veteran QB with a rocket arm throwing slants at a rookie, 5th round CB from Coastal Carolina. I am not sure Norman will ever have the physical tools or experience to win that battle.

#48 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

It's pretty simple--Norman got outplayed by Thomas and Dockery. Norman has a higher ceiling, but needs to improve.

#49 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

It's pretty simple--Norman got outplayed by Thomas and Dockery. Norman has a higher ceiling, but needs to improve.

Norman is athletic....might lack the speed and quickness to play CB though. Something to watch.

Might also be a young guy who needs to study more. Don't forget we have defenders who were called out this year on that. He might simply not understand what teams were doing to him being such a cocky young guy. Takes more than talent when teams start drawing up gameplans

#50 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

I don't think outplayed has anything to do with it

I think 2 things

Somebody mentioned his lack of knowledge on the plays being called which may be the reason he played off sometimes and then bumped other players (which he has done, you can back and watch the games)

Simply giving others a chance

#51 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,301 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I don't think outplayed has anything to do with it

I think 2 things

Somebody mentioned his lack of knowledge on the plays being called which may be the reason he played off sometimes and then bumped other players (which he has done, you can back and watch the games)

Simply giving others a chance

I personally think he was one of the defenders called out in regard to their work habits.

My football IQ isn't very high....but even I could call the downs and plays when opponents where going to hit slants on Norman. Too easy. Don't think it was a talent issue.

Young kid. Needs to learn what opponents are trying to do in certain spots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.