The Fuhckening has begun

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationValdosta Georgia

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Was that due to coaching?

Or due to picking up Dwan Edwards?

Considering how well our tackling has been in all aspects of defense i'd say his inside rush helped some but the tackle still has to be made and we haven't missed many lately.

#62 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

The reason I'm against firing Rivera now is we would just be scraping the bottom of the barrel for a new head coach

#63 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

So you know he isn't a super bowl winning coach? And you think Chip Kelly or Mike McCoy are? Based on what?

Chip Kelly's offensive skills. And as of McCoy I'd rather give him a shot then know I'm getting a 6-10 or 7-9 season.

#64 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• HUDDLER
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Here's what I'm talking about, and the below pertains to the first 7 games or so this year:

1) No commitment or patience for the run game.
2) We ran minimum protection schemes, with high use of the spread along with 1 TE.
3) We were in shotgun nearly 85% of the time. Under center plays were a rarity
4) We continued to rely on the read option when it was clear it wasn't working
5) Everyone was healthy; injuries cannot be used as an excuse

Then Hurney gets fired, Ron and Chud begin to actually self-evaluate out of fear, and we begin to make the changes that should have occured week 4 at the absolute latest. People are forgetting the early part of the season.

This. Along with the fact that he just doesn't make changes to obvious problems until he absolutely has to. We were floundering with the stupid fuging offensive scheme until JR stepped in and started firing people. That's also when he decided to become more involved with the defense as well. Nakamura was horrible since he stepped onto the field, lost us a divisional game and wasn't benched until he got hurt and the season was already over. Running backs couldn't get into a rhythm because they had something stupid like 6 or 8 carries per game each, finally pick one once the other is injured and watch him magically return to form. We're mostly football dipshits on the board and we knew a lot of these things needed changing waaaay before they were. WTF Ron?

I have all the respect in the world for the guy as a DC. I love our defense right now and it's even more impressive considering who we're trotting out at CB, S and DT. I just don't think he's much in the way of a head coach.

#65 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'm utterly neutral about whether Rivera should stay or go.

But if he's fired, maybe take a look at Kyle Shanahan? Was his success in Washington this year just due to the "new" factor of RG3 and the NFL will catch up? Or is young Shanahan one of the few coaches with the ability to utilize the New Quarterback (i.e. Cam, RG3) correctly?

They baby rg3. Most % of passes behind the line. I think by next year rg3 will be figured out. I'm not a fan of the shannahans at all.

#66 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

I still like Ray Horton

#67 DeeJay

DeeJay

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationHell Paso Texas

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I just do not understand why pro football players, many of who are paid millions, need so much time to learn how to win.

Because it seems most of our pro football players in this team don't feel like winning till the end of the season.

#68 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think Rivera has been terrible as a head coach. Too many close losses and questionable decision making. I'm definitely not in the camp that wants to keep him. If the new GM wants to give him another shot, so be it. Rivera is still young and maybe he's learned something from the past two years. I mean he can't possibly get any worse can he?

#69 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Rivera will get 1 more year

#70 BIGH2001

BIGH2001

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Again another 6-10 or 7-9 season is something you don't know. Chip Kelly could be spurrier 2.0.
McCoy is unproven and didn't set the world on fire when he was here. He's another assistant like Rivera. How is that a guaranteed upgrade?

Chip Kelly's offensive skills. And as of McCoy I'd rather give him a shot then know I'm getting a 6-10 or 7-9 season.

#71 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Was that due to coaching?

Or due to picking up Dwan Edwards?

Its a mix, you have to put players in the best position to win, but I meant towards the end of the year... so guys were starting to gel together. I think unless your dream candidate is out there as a HC, a clear improvement over Rivera, and he runs what you want to run, Rivera stays.. as much as for Cam's benefit as for the teams, regardless of fan approval.

#72 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Rivera will get 1 more year

If CatMan72 is saying it, it must be true.

#73 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Don't take the player loyalty too seriously. Many players on this team are overpaid and change threatens that.

#74 App_Flash

App_Flash

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I think Rivera deserves at least one more year. I don't see a clear upgrade out there and firing Ron just to fire him does not do us any good.

#75 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Maybe a contract is being negotiated

Remember, firing Hurney in mid season was a message. I do not think JR is happy yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.