#77 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,497 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Could be, though I think the Browns may promise the moon to try and get him.

#78 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless Riverboat Ron

• HUDDLER
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Don't take the player loyalty too seriously. Many players on this team are overpaid and change threatens that.

Well, I don't know about that...I take player loyalty very seriously. But I'll admit it's one of those lockerroom factors we simply can't see. Kinda like the folks who can't stand Rivera being calm on the sideline, and assuming that is his demeanor 24-7....we simply don't know. I do see Rivera pulling together a top 10 defense with scraps...and I also see a green HC who probably has been reluctant to stick his nose in the OC's game planning...I'm sure the writing is on the wall there, and with micromanaging the clock/playcalling late in games....he either learns those things and becomes a far better gameday coach, or he is what some here fear, not the answer. I believe in growth and development by those with good football minds. I think Ron is special in his Defensive coaching abilities, I also think he can grow into a special HC.

#79 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,648 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Are you kidding me? I hope you're not joking.

#80 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,497 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Are you kidding me? I hope you're not joking.

Uuummm...what? :blink:

#81 iampantherman

iampantherman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I just do not understand why pro football players, many of who are paid millions, need so much time to learn how to win.

Because the NFL is a highly competitive mudder-fugging league.

#82 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

I'm torn at this point. This team turned a corner this year but we thought that last year as well. The players seem to like him and gives him shout outs on social media. His game management skills are out right terrible such as using timeouts wrong etc. what I don't like is this offense. Too many gimmicks and "trick" plays. I don't mind it here and there but we run them too many times. I remember watching that option get blown up by Tampa week one and then the giants. It didn't take rocket science to figure out it doesn't work well.

I wouldn't mind a new OC and keep Rivera though. Look what happened in Atlanta. They kept mike smith but change the OC/dc and now they have the best record in the NFC. I am just no fan on our offensive play calling this year. My two cent.

Sorry for typos and grammar issues, I made this post on my phone

#83 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Well, I don't know about that...I take player loyalty very seriously. But I'll admit it's one of those lockerroom factors we simply can't see. Kinda like the folks who can't stand Rivera being calm on the sideline, and assuming that is his demeanor 24-7....we simply don't know. I do see Rivera pulling together a top 10 defense with scraps...and I also see a green HC who probably has been reluctant to stick his nose in the OC's game planning...I'm sure the writing is on the wall there, and with micromanaging the clock/playcalling late in games....he either learns those things and becomes a far better gameday coach, or he is what some here fear, not the answer. I believe in growth and development by those with good football minds. I think Ron is special in his Defensive coaching abilities, I also think he can grow into a special HC.

People are using that as a reason to retain the coach. It is a factor, but not the primary factor. Leadership comes from many sources and motivation comes from many places. Yes, the coach is judged by player's effort, but I am not ready to overlook management issues, personnel decisions, indecision, etc. because players were going hard. Too many reasons for them to play hard that are not related to the quality of coaching.

I would be careful about assuming 2 things:
1. A great coordinator becomes a great coach
2. We have the players to win now, so waiting for the coach to grow is part of the plan. (however, I see your point--we did not hire a veteran coach).

#84 hitman80

hitman80

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Am I the only person who doesn't buy into the whole idea of the players playing their butts off for Rivera? I see it more as they were playing hard for their jobs since it seemed obvious that a new coaching staff was going to be brought in.

#85 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,497 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Am I the only person who doesn't buy into the whole idea of the players playing their butts off for Rivera? I see it more as they were playing hard for their jobs since it seemed obvious that a new coaching staff was going to be brought in.

They specifically said they were playing for Rivera.

#86 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

rivera = status quo = job safety
of course they want to keep him
what they think shouldn't factor into this, they aren't paid to make those decisions
i suspect most of them can barely read

#87 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

But were they playing for Rivera because change means them too?

#88 hitman80

hitman80

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

They specifically said they were playing for Rivera.

That's the polite thing to do. Who knows if they actually feel this way.

#89 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

rivera = status quo = job safety
of course they want to keep him
what they think shouldn't factor into this, they aren't paid to make those decisions
i suspect most of them can barely read

General Custer's men fought their tails off. Does not mean the leadership put them in a position to do otherwise---

These guys are pros with high character. Most know only 1 way to play. Giving Rivera credit for that is like giving him credit for teaching them to walk.

If they QUIT playing hard, then it becomes a factor.

(I agree)

#90 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless Riverboat Ron

• HUDDLER
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I'm still saying that 2011 put Rivera way behind as an HC....Cam salvaged that year by playing lights out with a taylor made playbook...remember, he looked horrible in pre-season.....now 2012 comes on, Chud craps the bed....Rivera works the D and mistakenly leaves Chud to sink or swim....Hurney fired and we get chaos.....players stick with Rivera, and we seem to be turning the corner with few personel changes...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.