Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So let me get this straight...

63 posts in this topic

Posted

No one has the balls to say and do what really needs to be done in Washington DC.

We hired these men and women to do a job for us, and they refuse to look after the well being of this Republic.

Starting to sound a little scary, but most won't really care if they can still pump gas, and watch their flat screen TV's.

that's what happens when they've gerrymandered themselves into untouchable positions...

Posted

that's what happens when they've gerrymandered themselves into untouchable positions...

some dude on npr the other day said that part of the problem with these gerrymandered districts is that representatives (particularly republicans in this case) are now just worried about getting beyond the primaries, which leads to hyper-partisan voting behavior so that they do not eventually find themselves being defeated in the primaries from the right. it may be true that some representatives are "comfortable" but there are plenty who have to go loony tunes teatarded in order to satisfy their ultra-conservative constituents

Posted

some dude on npr the other day said that part of the problem with these gerrymandered districts is that representatives (particularly republicans in this case) are now just worried about getting beyond the primaries, which leads to hyper-partisan voting behavior so that they do not eventually find themselves being defeated in the primaries from the right. it may be true that some representatives are "comfortable" but there are plenty who have to go loony tunes teatarded in order to satisfy their ultra-conservative constituents

that's the point. on both sides you have people that act like idiots to appeal to the constituency that they've created... as long as you act like a particular kind of idiot you get re-elected, even if you're literally burning washington to the ground. there's no sing vote, no moderates and consequently; no accountability.

these insane districts weren't created by accident.

Posted

that's the point. on both sides you have people that act like idiots to appeal to the constituency that they've created... as long as you act like a particular kind of idiot you get re-elected, even if you're literally burning washington to the ground. there's no sing vote, no moderates and consequently; no accountability.

Even as a mostly conservative dude I think the NC Districts are batshit insane.

Posted

My social security taxes went up 2%...

Posted

The worst of them (the 12th which I live in) was created by democrats in order to ensure a district with a black majority. But they didn't foresee or didn't care that they were taking reliable democratic voters out of other districts such as the 5th, thereby handing those districts to the Republicans for the foreseeable future. At least in North Carolina, the democrats were hoist on their own petard. I would live in the fifth district if they were more appropiately proportioned.

Fwiw, I loathe both Mel Watts and Virginia Foxx. Perhaps if we had more balanced districts, we might get someone a little better.

Posted

These insane districts in NC were created by democrats for decades upon decades. Heck...I wish they'd redone all the districts again and gotten rid of the absurd Mel Watt's 12th district. But it is what it is.

Some districts got closer...and the democrat districts consolidated. 5th through 11th districts were all closer than the 2010 (pre-redistricting) results. The only obvious shifts to more partisan districts were in the 1st, 4th, and 12th.

Blame the Voting Rights Act of 1965 for some of the district drawing insanity.

Posted

My social security taxes went up 2%...

Too much.

The SS tax is probably the tax that I hate the most.

14.2 % of my taxable income going to fund that program. If I make 90K per year, do you think I will ever see more than 5% of the cash that I sent to SS in my retirement years.

Posted

the 7th district was redrawn specifically to defeat mike mcintyre

idc really since mcintyre is basically a republican but it is another example

Posted

While I agree the tax increase will upset a lot...does everyone feel that Social Security, as we know it, be without this 2% funding into current payouts? If you feel the 2% shouldn't be in this, then you're no different than legislators borrowing money against future SS recipients...and the vicious cycle never ends. This is as it's written now. I wish it were different and gut the program and start with something new, but that's not going to happen.

Posted

the payroll tax had to go back to normal

would have been nice if the cap had been lifted though

Posted

the 7th district was redrawn specifically to defeat mike mcintyre

idc really since mcintyre is basically a republican but it is another example

He'll be battling every 2 years. Good. As for redrawn specifically...no. There were many targets. McIntyre was one. Kissell was the other...and strengthening Elmers district. Miller was removed through consolidation of the 1st areas and combining many of Price/Miller's districts (Durham/Orange).

Also, Shuler's district was watered down by splitting up Asheville/surrounding areas.

To the victors go the spoils...and I think the method is genious. It's a reflection of the current political climate while not throwing everything into disarray every 2 years. Where some might disagree with me is that I'd like to see electoral apportionment based on congressional districts. Winners of majority of districts get two sentatorial electorals too. Tie? A senate vote to each.