114 replies to this topic

#41 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationAt the lake
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

This. We had a top 5 offense in the league last year, before Chud changed it.

If we had 2011 offense with (late) 2012 defense we'd be making a deep playoff run.

The 2011 offense got exposed. Teams were playing the read option and keeping Newton in the pocket. They doubled Smitty and played tight man on everyone else. That was different than they did last year and it showed. I don't think the offense run last year was much different than what we debuted this year.

#42 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Maybe it is me, but who in their right mind wouldn't see the way we hit on all cylinders at the end of the year and say that is what we are going to do all year next season.

if it didnt happen last year as well towards then end I think we won like 4 of last 5 or 6 and left most of us anticipating great things this year. who in their right minds wouldnt at least be cautious again. i was in the "if we go 7-9 keep ron camp," so i will stay there.

#43 panfan32

panfan32

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationFayetteville, North Carolina
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

It's just easier to blame the coach then the team, a lot of people don't even consider that players on this team just aren't very good.

Like Josh Norman, any other team in the league and the dude is on the bench and doesn't play a snap this year and people complain that he's getting benched and not starting??? Lol

True. I was not very high up on him at all this season. And our secondary did better once the staff benched his butt. Just because he played well in training camp does not mean hes a starter. 4 INT in one practice is a nice thing but does it mean he can cover his man or was it a case of right place right time or bad passes by CAM.

#44 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

The 2011 offense got exposed. Teams were playing the read option and keeping Newton in the pocket. They doubled Smitty and played tight man on everyone else. That was different than they did last year and it showed. I don't think the offense run last year was much different than what we debuted this year.

The read option wasn't the base offense last year, it was peppered in. Chud tried to run every play out of that formation for the first few games this year.

#45 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• LocationKurby
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Bc when you don't win, you blame the HC. Not the assistants and players, or else Foxy would still be here.

#46 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

I think every panthers fan expects a quick turn around because of John Fox and probably a couple of coaches around the league that made that happen. So patiences is thrown out the proverbial window.

That rarely happens by the way.

i think it's expected because teams that can win are doing it quickly lately. it's becoming more common. we just find excuses for not doing it.

#47 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I beg to differ:

1) Last year, we were in shotgun just over 60% of the time. This year, at least for the first 7 games, we were in shotgun closer to 85%.
2) Last year, we used 2 TE sets frequently. Early this year, we almost never used 2 TE
3) As stated by others, we relied much more heavily on read option plays early this year. Yes, we used it last year after mid-season, by not nearly as much as this year.

The first Tampa game was a perfect example of what was wrong with our offense. We were in 1/1 formations nearly the whole game, and the 1 TE was typically sent out on a pass pattern along with the 3 wide receivers. Tampa applied consistent pressure, and we didn't have enough blockers to counter. The result? We couldn't run the ball (and frankly didn't even try), and Newton was under pressure the whole game.

That type approach continued almost unabated until Hurney got fired. Then out of the blue, Chud decides maybe he should start to change things up a bit. Funny how that worked. That's why I don't know if I'll ever trust Chud completely.

#48 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

there were two offenses last year.

the first half of the season was the pass heavy one. when teams keyed in on that and started running more cover 2 (which seemed to work better against cam's passing game than blitzing him), they started running the ball and killing defenses with that. they adjusted what they did. it wasn't about the read option as much as people make it out to be.

#49 bigdog10

bigdog10

HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

This team has enough talent to be in the NFC playoff race this year, and potentially be the NFC South champion.

The argument that we don't have enough talent was valid last year, this year it is not.

#50 csx

csx

HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's not. We several games because of breakdowns in execution as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users