Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rumor killer on Chip Kelly wanting 'total control'

57 posts in this topic

Posted

Yes it does.

Your statement was that JR is too cheap to pay big dollars for a coach. He just proved that you were completely and categorically wrong.

NO it dosen't, nowhere did I say he was cheap.

Posted

That has nothing to do with what I posted.

Yea actually it does, your post hints at JR being cheap. Which isn't the case always, I mean Fox wasn't found in the salvage pile when he was hired. JR then paid the man's staff a ton of money to keep them around for as long as they were here.

Also the team's made quite a few splashes in FA or via trade, they just didn't work out too well for the team. You act like JR is against spending money on his Front Office and coaching staff's as well as players in FA. That's not the case and is quite wrong. So yes it does reflect back on the point you were trying to make.

If you want to know what hinted at JR being cheap it was this >

JR won't get into a bidding war for a big name, same thing with FA players. It's like he finds it demeaning, so we always end up digging through the scrap pile looking for a diamond in the rough.

Posted

Don't think JR will get into a bidding war for Kelly:

http://oregon.247spo...n-Philly-109307

just like we weren't going to with harbaugh.

i know he's not "cheap" but i also don't like the fact that he just won't jump in.

JR is a myopic individual with eyes only for his club...the NFL. doesn't matter that harbaugh or kelly could take the team to the top...he's not part of that group so he doesn't get considered.

Posted

There are several reports from NFL officials that still link Kelly with Carolina and that Rivera will be gone by the end of the weekend. Take the rumors for what you will, but the Panther's can't interview anyone right now for a HC spot that isn't currently open.

Posted

Anything that thinks JR is 'cheap' should take a look at the payroll.

Posted

Yea actually it does, your post hints at JR being cheap. Which isn't the case always, I mean Fox wasn't found in the salvage pile when he was hired. JR then paid the man's staff a ton of money to keep them around for as long as they were here.

Also the team's made quite a few splashes in FA or via trade, they just didn't work out too well for the team. You act like JR is against spending money on his Front Office and coaching staff's as well as players in FA. That's not the case and is quite wrong. So yes it does reflect back on the point you were trying to make.

If you want to know what hinted at JR being cheap it was this >

My point was that JR is stubborn and seems like he wants to prove he can make it work with player's/coaches that other teams have no interest in or are done with because of age...and then he pays them like pro bowlers that are in their prime.

Posted

My point was that JR is stubborn and seems like he wants to prove he can make it work with player's/coaches that other teams have no interest in or are done with because of age...and then he pays them like pro bowlers that are in their prime.

OK, Now he is definitely stubborn as hell. However his last two coaching choices weren't exactly bottom of the barrel guys. Fox was a pretty hot coaching candidate when he was hired here, less so on Rivera. If he feels like someone is his guy, he'll get into a bidding war for them for sure. It's just does the new GM feel the same way about Kelly and is Kelly even a target. With the amount of rumors I'd say he's a target if JR decides to let Rivera go. Not sure on that last part though.

Posted

There are several reports from NFL officials that still link Kelly with Carolina and that Rivera will be gone by the end of the weekend. Take the rumors for what you will, but the Panther's can't interview anyone right now for a HC spot that isn't currently open.

Links to these reports?

Posted

Links to these reports?

It's kinda hard to link reports from specific NFL people since they don't usually give the name when mentioning stuff like that. However there a few articles from places using those said sources. There's other articles as well, but this one gives the gist of pretty much what they all say. Kelly is still linked with the Panther's. Just does Kelly get a job before Carolina makes a decision on Rivera....

http://www.ibtimes.c...a-eagles-988498

Posted

I would not be surprised if a GM is hired shortly, Rivera is fired, and we hire Chip Kelly.

At least i wish thats what would happen.

Posted

He'd have to want us pretty bad.

By Friday night, he'll likely already have three job offers.

Us? We may or may not have an opening for a new head coach, or a new GM, by that time.

Posted

He'd have to want us pretty bad.

By Friday night, he'll likely already have three job offers.

Us? We may or may not have an opening for a new head coach, or a new GM, by that time.

The homer in me sneaks out every now and again and says that he probably would want to come here if the job was available before he committed elsewhere. I mean he is an offensive guy and he would have one of the most dynamic and potential laden QBs ever to play with. It's not an unattractive job here.

Then the realist in me takes back over and realizes that the chances are that he'll already have another job, not just offers, by the time we even know if we're going to have an opening. Thus is the curse of the organization moving a glacial pace to do any damn thing. And given our attitude to Harbaugh the year we hired Rivera we likely wouldn't pursue him terribly hard (if at all) anyway. It's just not who we are.