#1 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

http://legalinsurrec...gun-permit-map/

The Lower Hudson Journal News, a Gannett newspaper, caused controversy when it published a map of names and addresses of gun permit holders, and announced that it planned to do so again. The plan for further publication may be in doubt as a neighboring county just announced it was denying the Journal News access to its gun permit database.
In protest, bloggers posted the home addresses and telephone numbers of Journal News editors and staff. Also cirulating was the personal and family contact information for the Chairwoman of Gannett.
The Journal News has hired armed guards for its offices, according to Politico, because of threats.
This privacy war has just escalated dramatically, as a group of self-described ”2nd Amendment supporters” claims it has downloaded and posted on the web what it describes as the “user” database of the Journal News.
Twitter users claim the list is being widely circulated. Although the links are easily available, I’m not including links to any of the websites containing the alleged database for the same reason I did not provide the personal information sent to me about Gannett’s Chairwoman.

Bit of irony with the hiring of armed guards from people doing the same things they did to gun owners. I'm sure they received some threats and protection warranted, but still no less ironic.

#2 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

If they published that as well as owners in the dangerous dog database it be win win. No one would get close.

#3 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,901 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

"law-abiding gun owners"

#4 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

pst314: “Stealing and publishing their personal information (including passwords!) is just evil.”

You mean like publishing the personal information of law abiding gun owners in an on-line interactive map as if they were criminals evil? That kind of evil?

#5 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,924 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Nothing says "don't treat us like criminals" like breaking the law.

#6 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,943 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Now the criminals know which houses have owners that don't have gun permits. I would actually be worried if I was not on the map.

#7 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,006 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

In protest, bloggers posted the home addresses and telephone numbers of Journal News editors and staff. Also cirulating was the personal and family contact information for the Chairwoman of Gannett.

I think that people's home addresses are publicly available data, as long as they own the property. At least it is in North Carolina. So this part of it is just doing to the newspaper personnel what they did to gun owners.

Anybody that threatens them should be arrested though.

#8 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

It's war I'm telling ya.

#9 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

What of this is publicly available information and what is not?

#10 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

basically the stuff pertaining to gun owners and the editors and whoever else

the customer data they obtained by hacking is illegal and I hope they get caught, go to jail, and make national news because of it

triple irony

#11 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,557 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

pst314: “Stealing and publishing their personal information (including passwords!) is just evil.”

You mean like publishing the personal information of law abiding gun owners in an on-line interactive map as if they were criminals evil? That kind of evil?

Posting publically available information the way they did is of questionable judgement and of dubious worth but perfectly legal.

Stealing and posting private personal information is criminal and undoubtedly evil.

#12 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Anything that was posted that was public information is too damn bad. If you don't want this information to be public I suggest you start talking to your local elected officials.

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

1st amendment is a double edged sword

#14 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,006 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

In north carolina and most other states, property ownership is publicly available information. If its the same way in New York, then all you need to do is go to the site for that county, enter a editor's name, and if he owns a house or land, then you can get the address. So the home address of those that own or are buying their house is publicly available information. And its available if they have a listed phone number in the book. Or if they put the address on a publicly accessable website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com