Photo
- - - - -

This defense has a chance to be special with a safety.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#25 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

I think Ron and Dwan last us another year. I'm 100% on the best FS available at the 14th pick bandwagon.

#26 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

gonna probably be a bigger emphasis on OL than anything in the offseason.

WR and FS would be my first two choices in the draft, but i expect OT to be among the first couple picks.

#27 pantherj

pantherj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

I don't want an average WR from this draft to add to our roster that is already loaded with average WRs. There is no A.J Green or Darrius Heyward-Bey caliber WR who could eventually replace Smith or supplant LaFell imo. Spending an entire season or more training a mediocre WR would be a nightmare. We need safe picks that can start now.

If we're going OG then I'd like to draft Warmack, the best run blocking O-lineman I've seen in a long time. He's a little slow pulling out in space, but in the trenches he's elite. Plug and play, immediate upgrade.

We certainly need a safety who can actually make plays on defense. Martin made a few plays, but RR doesn't seem to trust him. Fine, use this draft and find someone he wants to actually play. I'd prefer a ball hawk safety who plays with finesse, not a big hitter. Big hits = huge penalties in todays NFL. I'm thinking of a player like former Panther Deon Grant.

RR flopped with picking Fua and McClain, so I'm a little worried about who he might be targeting in this draft. NO fatass DTs who are sure to have off and on weight problems, and a host of nagging lower body injuries. Get a big lean DT, or wait until the next draft.

#28 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I don't think it's a popular opinion, but I think we should focus almost the whole draft on the defense. DT and secondary. I think the offense is good enough to succeed already, and with a mid-level o-lineman or two in free agency, we're all set there.

I think Rivera should build his dream elite defense, and the rest will come just based on the loaded offense we already have.

Outside of Steve Smith, we have...no...deep...threat. We have to address that also bro...oline too. Remember everyone thought our offense would be fine this year. If we want to be better at closing out games we need a better push up front so that we can run the ball when everyone knows that it is coming. Besides we can't say draft all defense when we have no idea who will be available when we pick. We can't act like we're loaded on offense(like last year) and put everything on Cam again. He's going into year 3 not 8.

#29 SCMunnerlyn1

SCMunnerlyn1

The Fuhckening has begun

HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Baccari Rambo and Shariff Floyd for the first 2 picks

I would rage

#30 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'd rather invest in DT and keep Nakamura off the field.

Yup

#31 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

I know I'm in the minority here, but what we saw out of DJ Campbell at SS and Godfrey at FS should be encouraging. If a great FS happens to be the BPA at our pick, then fine, but at least in the 1st round, there is usually better value at other positions.

Our biggest need is RG, but as others have said, you can usually pick one up in FA at a reasonable cost.

Should a very good LT prospect be there at 14, they should get very strong consideration due to the importance of that position.

WR should be a priority as well. And not just any #1. We need a big WR that knows how to use their body to wall off defenders in the red zone. That is something our offense is missing.

To me, it's BPA between LT, WR and maybe NT. If nothing worthwhile is there, a guy like Warmack might fit.

#32 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

I know I'm in the minority here, but what we saw out of DJ Campbell at SS and Godfrey at FS should be encouraging. If a great FS happens to be the BPA at our pick, then fine, but at least in the 1st round, there is usually better value at other positions.

Our biggest need is RG, but as others have said, you can usually pick one up in FA at a reasonable cost.

Should a very good LT prospect be there at 14, they should get very strong consideration due to the importance of that position.

WR should be a priority as well. And not just any #1. We need a big WR that knows how to use their body to wall off defenders in the red zone. That is something our offense is missing.

To me, it's BPA between LT, WR and maybe NT. If nothing worthwhile is there, a guy like Warmack might fit.

I agree with the D.J. Campbell assessment, he was a pleasant surprise and I think he deserves a shot, just bring in some free agent competition for him.

#33 Fan01

Fan01

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Johnathan Hankins in the 1st please.

#34 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Johnathan Hankins in the 1st please.

ew

#35 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

I think Ron and Dwan last us another year. I'm 100% on the best FS available at the 14th pick bandwagon.

Nobody worth it homie...Now in the second there are a few worth taking, Jefferson and Rambo. Vacarro and Reid probably go 1st. Elam early 2nd. I almost feel the same thing about WR, DT will have a significant drop off in this class however. Not saying we should pick one, I honestly think that a big body who occupies blocks is sufficent at DT. Suh and Fairley don't have the Lions dominating defensively.

#36 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

SUPPORTER

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Nobody worth it homie...Now in the second there are a few worth taking, Jefferson and Rambo. Vacarro and Reid probably go 1st. Elam early 2nd. I almost feel the same thing about WR, DT will have a significant drop off in this class however. Not saying we should pick one, I honestly think that a big body who occupies blocks is sufficent at DT. Suh and Fairley don't have the Lions dominating defensively.

I think Eric Reid is a solid choice at 14. Much safer than a D-Lineman that could be great or a bust, but either way probably not ready to plug and play.