Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,090 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

Presented without comment.

http://finance.yahoo...Y3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Gore confirmed the sale Wednesday, saying in a statement that Al-Jazeera shares Current TV's mission "to give voice to those who are not typically heard; to speak truth to power; to provide independent and diverse points of view; and to tell the stories that no one else is telling."

Al-Jazeera, owned by the government of Qatar, plans to gradually transform Current into a network called Al-Jazeera America by adding five to 10 new U.S. bureaus beyond the five it has now and hiring more journalists. More than half of the content will be U.S. news and the network will have its headquarters in New York, spokesman Stan Collender said.

Collender said there are no rules against foreign ownership of a cable channel — unlike the strict rules limiting foreign ownership of free-to-air TV stations. He said the move is based on demand, adding that 40 percent of viewing traffic on Al-Jazeera English's website is from the U.S.

"This is a pure business decision based on recognized demand," Collender said. "When people watch Al-Jazeera, they tend to like it a great deal."

Previous to Al-Jazeera's purchase, Current TV was in 60 million homes. It is carried by Comcast Corp., which owned less than a 10 percent stake in Current TV, as well as DirecTV. Neither company announced plans to drop the channel.

In 2010, Al-Jazeera English's managing director, Tony Burman, blamed a "very aggressive hostility" from the Bush administration for reluctance among cable and satellite companies to show the network.

#2 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Gore was heard exlaiming Allahu Ackbar

#3 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,944 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Al Jazeera would be less of a religious extremist channel than Fox News....I welcome it

#4 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Can't wait to hear the segment explaining global warming on Israel sacrifices of Palestinian children.

#5 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,898 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

They had him at Al.

#6 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Can't wait to hear the segment explaining global warming on Israel sacrifices of Palestinian children.

Have you ever actually watched Al Jazeera? Now I don't know what kind of stories they run in Middle Eastern countries, but I watched their American station regularly when I lived in DC because it was one of the only 24 hour news stations available through antenna. Their news coverage kicked the crap out of anything found in America because they actually reported on real news happening around the world. They reported news as news without an op-ed like slant. They saved that for specific op-ed sections unlike news stations here where they just work their opinion in like fact.

News in America is a joke.

#7 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,523 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Have you ever actually watched Al Jazeera? Now I don't know what kind of stories they run in Middle Eastern countries, but I watched their American station regularly when I lived in DC because it was one of the only 24 hour news stations available through antenna. Their news coverage kicked the crap out of anything found in America because they actually reported on real news happening around the world. They reported news as news without an op-ed like slant. They saved that for specific op-ed sections unlike news stations here where they just work their opinion in like fact.

News in America is a joke.

Was going to post the same thing. Al-Jazeera is a great place for news.

#8 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,121 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

al jazeera is a respected news network and qatar is a close trade partner and ally of the united states

they get along moderately well with israel ffs

#9 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,944 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...9--finance.html

#10 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,661 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Arab sounding words!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Was the sale expedited to avoid taxes?

Shame on Gore the liberal. Akin to moving money to Bahamas and very un-American.

/sarcasm

#12 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,384 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

LOL @ the title.

Good move. I like that every time someone says Al Jazeera they have to say "jizz."

#13 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

don't expect anything approaching unbiased reporting on qatar from al jazeera but fug it g5 you clearly think they're all terrorists anyway

don't call him a bigot though

#14 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Who's calling who a terrorist.

Live from Qatar...it's Cantroll.

#15 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Gore was heard exlaiming Allahu Ackbar

not even a hint of bigotry there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com