87 replies to this topic

#1 bLACKpANTHER

bLACKpANTHER

º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Over the past 5-6 years we have really done a piss-poor job of finding a nice young WR to replace Smitty as our #1WR. We have thrown a lot of mid-round picks at WR but nothing panning out besides Lafell as a solid backup #2WR.. Gettis is the only other one to have a possiblity, but no shot at becoming #1WR.

Drafted WRs:
Rd 2 - 2006 - #45 - Dwayne Jarrett
Rd 4 - 2007 - #118 - Ryne Robinson
Rd 3 - 2010 - #78 - Brandon Lafell
Rd 3 - 2010 - #89 - Armanti Edwards (KR)
Rd 6 - 2010 - #198 - David Gettis
Rd 5 - 2011 - #132 - Kealoha Pilares (KR)
Rd 4 - 2012 - #104 - Joe Adams (PR)

Free Agent WRs:
2008 - DJ Hackett - 13rec - 181yds - 0 TD
2008 - Muhsin Muhammad - 65rec - 923yds - 5 TD
2011 - Legedu Naanee - 44rec - 467yds - 1 TD
2012 - Louis Murphy - 25rec - 336yds - 1 TD

I will mention that we did Trade for Olsen and picked up Shockey in FA and both did well, Olsen still being here.. but that still does nothing for our huge "?" at WR in 1-2 more years.. So my question is - Do we use #14 in this years draft on the best WR available this year or push the problem under the rug again?

#2 MtnJax

MtnJax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

It needs to be done this year. Check out Smith's recent interview on Panthers.com. He's sounding close to hanging I up

#3 Coheed

Coheed

Loves Jon Beason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hard to really have any idea because we still have no clue who the next GM will be. Hurney didn't like to draft WR's high, the next GM might. No way to really know as of now.

If Smith is planning to hang it up soon, I'd expect the team to know and the incoming GM to take that into account in the next draft or two (depending on when he wants to hang it up).

#4 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Lafell and Murphy are good #2/3, with murphy playing better later. I think he'll come around, but i do agree we need to seek an already proven WR.

#5 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Delay it forever

#6 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Idk but I wish it would be sooner than later.

#7 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

There's bigger fish to fry in the 1st round this year. Where we are drafting, we have the opportunity to either draft the best OG or have our pickings of a decent DT. Both line interiors are trash right now and need immediate help.

There doesn't seem to be a strong WR candidate early in the 1st round. If we somehow trade down, then it could become a possibility.

Smitty still has it in him and I am sure he knows that. All the rumors of him retiring are likely based around frustration. I still see him around next year.

#8 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,670 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

i think you grab a guy who's already proven productive in the league and sign him. give cam an immediate top-flight target and take the pressure off of smith.

you want to see steve decide to hang around for a few more years? give him a season where he's playing out of the slot position and catching ten passes a game because he's no longer being double covered. i honestly believe if you threw a greg jennings type receiver outside and put lafell as the flanker and run steve primarily out of the slot (or really just WR2 or WR3 depending on the formation) he'd eclipse his 2005 season in terms receptions and total yardage.

#9 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

We've been delaying it for three years now, might as well go another one....SMH

#10 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

I shudder to imagine where we will be without Smith.

#11 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,231 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Better be done this year! I'm not gonna jump on the wagon of wait for a Lee or Watkins in 2014.

If Richardson or Hankins are gone by 14, we better take Keenan Allen if he's there. If not take someone in the 2nd.

If we have to again and somehow get the chance to draft a Lee, Watkins or Amari Cooper in 2014, go ahead. Add one of them with Allen or whoever we take in 2013. Now well have two amazing threat for Cam to play with.

#12 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

i think you grab a guy who's already proven productive in the league and sign him. give cam an immediate top-flight target and take the pressure off of smith.

you want to see steve decide to hang around for a few more years? give him a season where he's playing out of the slot position and catching ten passes a game because he's no longer being double covered. i honestly believe if you threw a greg jennings type receiver outside and put lafell as the flanker and run steve primarily out of the slot (or really just WR2 or WR3 depending on the formation) he'd eclipse his 2005 season in terms receptions and total yardage.

This is my dream scenario.

#13 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,194 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Better be done this year! I'm not gonna jump on the wagon of wait for a Lee or Watkins in 2014.

If Richardson or Hankins are gone by 14, we better take Keenan Allen if he's there. If not take someone in the 2nd.

If we have to again and somehow get the chance to draft a Lee, Watkins or Amari Cooper in 2014, go ahead. Add one of them with Allen or whoever we take in 2013. Now well have two amazing threat for Cam to play with.

If we didn't have holes at S, OT, OG, DT, CB, and K and ended up with Allen/Patterson and then Lee in the next two years.....

OMG

#14 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

We need help for the offense - a lineman and a wide reciever would be my first 2 picks this year.

#15 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,231 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

If we didn't have holes at S, OT, OG, DT, CB, and K and ended up with Allen/Patterson and then Lee in the next two years.....

OMG

That's why we need to hire a smart GM not named Beane to address some other spot like FS, CB and OG by FA.

And we don't need an Allen, Patterson, Lee. I'd be happy with just a Allen and Lee or Allen Watins for Cam to play with in 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com