• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#11 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• LocationLa Grange, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

If we fix the offensive line his footwork will be fine with continual coaching. he was doing much better in the preseason but once injuries started left and right it devolved as the rush started to stick with him. He mitigated some over the latter half of the season but I think the early pounding stuck with him.

#12 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Dude

Have you watched our o-line this year? Especially towards the end

#13 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I think he just needs better guard play.

This.

I forget which game it was down the stretch, but it was a game in which he had a clean pocket almost the whole game. I remembered thinking how much better his mechanics suddenly were when he wasn't running for his life.

As to the OP wanting Cam to get to the next level, I'd say starting his passing career better than any QB in history (from a yardage standpoint) would indicate he is right on track.

#14 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

I think he just needs better guard play.

Big Ben, Eli....lots of good QBs have pooty footwork.

Cam is rewriting record books. People think he should play like Brady 8 years into his career or something. Rivera and Shula seem to be good fits for Cam IMO. I think they know how to handle his development (more than the technical aspect of throwing)

cam made some bad decisions, no doubt, but that OL and having passing plays that took forever to develop caused him to operate in some crazy situations that one doesn't automatically think about footwork...it's just "oh crap i gotta run!".

better protection and getting the ball out quicker will help more than correct footwork.

i want cam to be more productive. i don't think for everyone that the solution is getting more technically proficient. you make him think about his footwork and other areas will suffer.

#15 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

i want cam to be more productive. i don't think for everyone that the solution is getting more technically proficient. you make him think about his footwork and other areas will suffer.

This is a very important point. I remember watching Cam in pre-season and early this season, and thinking he was playing "tight", probably due to thinking too much about the offseason coaching points.

#16 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

SUPPORTER

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Lets hire Matt Moore

#17 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

This is a very important point. I remember watching Cam in pre-season and early this season, and thinking he was playing "tight", probably due to thinking too much about the offseason coaching points.

i remember that when mccoy was fired for basically doing nothing with jake we brought in rip scherer to try and make him more technically efficient and all that happened was jake's brain was cluttered with TMI and couldn't play instinctively like he used to and at that point he had more than enough problems. they tried scaling back the "coaching" and tried to let him play looser, but i think it was too little too late. jake was a naturally talented player. it wasn't pretty, but it worked a lot. bret favre was the same way and you could go through a whole lot of QBs who were good, but weren't technicians and were, in fact, just ugly.

cam is a very natural player as well and he's done a lot of improving technically, which is good, but i don't want to push it or force the issue because i don't want to change who cam is.

#18 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

i remember that when mccoy was fired for basically doing nothing with jake we brought in rip scherer to try and make him more technically efficient and all that happened was jake's brain was cluttered with TMI and couldn't play instinctively like he used to and at that point he had more than enough problems. they tried scaling back the "coaching" and tried to let him play looser, but i think it was too little too late. jake was a naturally talented player. it wasn't pretty, but it worked a lot. bret favre was the same way and you could go through a whole lot of QBs who were good, but weren't technicians and were, in fact, just ugly.

cam is a very natural player as well and he's done a lot of improving technically, which is good, but i don't want to push it or force the issue because i don't want to change who cam is.

Yep, Delhomme was a gambling gunslinger....was kind of silly to "fix" him with the QB coach change. Those type guys don't need to over think

To a degree, you gotta let Cam play playground ball

#19 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I don't want just a playmaker at QB, I want a surgeon. I want Cam to be a play-making surgeon. So yes, he needs to work on his footwork, and learn to throw with anticipation. He needs to know where all his guys are on the field, and manipulate defenses. Then and only then will Cam be the best QB in the league. A bigger and faster version of Aaron Rodgers.

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I don't want just a playmaker at QB, I want a surgeon. I want Cam to be a play-making surgeon. So yes, he needs to work on his footwork, and learn to throw with anticipation. He needs to know where all his guys are on the field, and manipulate defenses. Then and only then will Cam be the best QB in the league. A bigger and faster version of Aaron Rodgers.

Attempts to change a quarterback into a different kind of quarterback pretty much never work. The better approach is to recognize what he is (a mobile gunslinger) and just make him the best version of that he can be.

And as others have said in this thread, Shula's developing him just fine. The O-Line needs improvement which will help Newton a lot, but no, Shula isn't failing him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users