Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ESPN's Pat Yasinskas believes the Panthers will "almost have to cut" LCB Chris Gamble this offseason.

76 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

ESPN's Pat Yasinskas believes the Panthers will "almost have to cut" LCB Chris Gamble this offseason.
The reasoning? Carolina currently has $136 million committed toward the 2013 salary cap that is expected to be just over $120 million. Gamble carries a $10.9 million cap hit for 2013, and the team could save $7.9 million by slashing him from the payroll. The problem is that Gamble is easily the team's best corner, and there isn't a whole lot of solid depth behind him. Gamble, 30 in March, played in just four games in 2012 before landing on injured reserve with a shoulder injury. Jan 3 - 8:51 PM
Source: ESPN.com

Posted · Report post

With the way our young CBs played, it may be the smart move. Gamble is a damn good CB, but he's getting up there in age, injuries are starting to become an issue, and he has a huge cap hit on a cap strapped team. All of that adds up to him very possibly being a cap casualty.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[b][color=#3399ff]Is there a restructure possibility here?[/color][/b]

Posted · Report post

just wow if it comes to this..... though we can do without and i don't mean let the scrubs come forth!

Posted · Report post

jesus christ lol

he's going to go to a team just one starter away from a SB run and have like 6 interceptions next season

Panthers!

Posted · Report post

Already a thread on this, this is just an excerpt from Pat Y that was in this thread.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/82343-our-cap-isnt-in-good-shape-for-2013/

Posted · Report post

You may want to edit the title.

The article says a reporter "believes" it might happen, not that it is for certain.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

even tho i think this is just another attempt at yas tossing something at a wall to see if it sticks...i can see it happening.

Posted · Report post

fuging THREAD TITLE HOMIE!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Also I'd update your title. No where does it say the Panthers will cut Gamble, Pay Y suggests it and Pat Y is about as reliable as bag of rusty screws.

This would be a foolish move when the secondary is what needs the most work. The Panthers need to find a competent GM that is really good with the cap that also understands our team needs.

Posted · Report post

I think this is a bot guys

Posted · Report post

thread title needs changed by someone with better reading comprehension skills.

Posted · Report post

lol I almost started texting people about this, glad I read the thread first.

as much as cutting our best corner sounds absurd, it's worth noting that our defense rose to a top ten squad after his injury. he's an asset but we are by no means hamstrung without him. cutting him might actually be a legitimately wise move, as much as logic seems to scream the opposite.

Posted · Report post

Yasinskas..lol. Yea lets cut our best corner at a position that is already one of our weak spots on the team.

Posted · Report post

thanks for the title change.

Posted · Report post

Thread title aside, I think this is a no-brainer.

Posted · Report post

Next man up.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Marguide' timestamp='1357271236' post='2075911']
Thread title aside, I think this is a no-brainer.
[/quote]
the thing is that our team really doesn't have the depth for this kind of philosophy

Hurney magic

Posted · Report post

Not a fan of cutting Gamble

The only person I want gone to help the cap is Gross and D.Will

And any other useless player

Posted · Report post

Gamble turns 30 in March and has some good years left but he makes too much damn money. We have to cut his ass.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='beastson' timestamp='1357271504' post='2075920']
Not a fan of cutting Gamble

The only person I want gone to help the cap is Gross and D.Will

And any other useless player
[/quote]

We save 7.9 million by cutting Gamble, what would we save cutting those two?

DWill's 2013 cap number is 4.75 million, there would be a massive cap hit if the signing bonus all went to next year:

7/29/2011: Signed a five-year, $43 million contract. The deal contains $21 million guaranteed, including a $16 million signing bonus and $5 million of Williams' second-year base salary. 2012: $5.25 million, 2013: $4.75 million, 2014: $5.75 million, 2015: $6.75 million, 2016: Free Agent

Gross, I dont know what's guaranteed..

2/19/2009: Signed a six-year, $60 million contract. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus. 2012: $8.5 million, 2013: $8.7 million, 2014: $6.7 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent

Then there's Stewart's contract:

8/11/2012: Signed a six-year, $37.811 million contract. The deal contains $22.5 million guaranteed, including a $9 million signing bonus. Another $6 million is available through incentives based on 1,200-yard rushing seasons and 1,600 all-purpose yard seasons. 2012: $811,250, 2013: $1 million, 2014: $1.5 million (+ $9 million option bonus), 2015: $4.25 million, 2016: $5 million, 2017: $5.5 million, 2018: Free Agent

Posted · Report post

Better players have been cap casualties. Go for it.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Growl' timestamp='1357271503' post='2075919']
the thing is that our team really doesn't have the depth for this kind of philosophy

Hurney magic
[/quote]

Why not?

Did our CB's get toasted repeatedly the 2nd half of the year (Norman excluded). How much more could Chris have done than Thomas?

I'm not saying Chris isn't good, because he is, but we have to make some decisions this offseason to get our cap in order, and Chris is definitely low hanging fruit.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kevin Greene' timestamp='1357271971' post='2075931']
We save 7.9 million by cutting Gamble, what would we save cutting those two?

DWill's 2013 cap number is 4.75 million, there would be a massive cap hit if the signing bonus all went to next year:

7/29/2011: Signed a five-year, $43 million contract. The deal contains $21 million guaranteed, including a $16 million signing bonus and $5 million of Williams' second-year base salary. 2012: $5.25 million, 2013: $4.75 million, 2014: $5.75 million, 2015: $6.75 million, 2016: Free Agent

Gross, I dont know what's guaranteed..

2/19/2009: Signed a six-year, $60 million contract. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus. 2012: $8.5 million, 2013: $8.7 million, 2014: $6.7 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent
[/quote]

Im not sure about cap

I'm going purely off production

Only issue about Gross is our o-line is already terrible

Posted · Report post

[quote name='beastson' timestamp='1357272340' post='2075938']

Im not sure about cap

I'm going purely off production

Only issue about Gross is our o-line is already terrible
[/quote]

Only problem is releasing DWill and Gross I think would increase our Cap figure which we will be desperate to get under do to Hurney incompetence.
Sadly at 8.7 million for 2013 I'd go with drafting OT with our 1st pick and letting the Rookie/Gross sort out the LT/RT position between themselves.
More Hurney magic.