94 replies to this topic

#1 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

I had an opportunity to interview Szoke over the phone for my podcast today. We discussed several different things going on with the Panthers, GM, Coach, Cam, player acquisition etc. the man is an incredible interview and knows more about the panthers than any one man should but ill give you the gist of what he told me.

On the GM search:

He said he believes the organization is playing this one close to the vest and is really going all out to find the best possible candidate that A: is ok with Rivera having one more year and B: is comfortable with Cam as the QB for the foreseeable future.

On the Coach:

As I just said He believes Rivera will have one more year since the team was trending up at the end of the season per JR's request. Also he believes that Rivera will have success clauses for next year. Baisically Playoffs or bust. Then the new GM will have the right to hire anyone that he chooses.

On players/roster:

Said LT, WR, CB look to be the biggest needs going into either free agency or the draft. He didn't say anything about players being cut or restructured.

On Cam:

Said he took the losing streak really hard but matured seemingly overnight and saw that his attitude could indeed effect the team negatively.

On the offense changing midway through the season:

Said the coaches changed their approach to a quicker more pro set because of the olines inability to block as long as they needed to. Which he said wasn't a knock on the guys but that it was a lot to ask of any o line to block for that long that often. He did however mention the o line as a need in the offseason.

As a disclaimer these were his personal feelings on the subject and these notes are paraphrased at best. They in no way represent the panthers organization. As soon as I finish editing the interview into my podcast and get it posted I will give the link if you care to listen.

There isn't anything groundbreaking here but it was fun for me and I thought I would share with the huddle!

#2 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,570 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

InB4 "What the hell is a Jim Szoke"

#3 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

What the hell is a Jim Szoke

#4 ncguy2184

ncguy2184

Mmmm BoJangles......

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach S.C

Gawd I hope he is wrong about rivera.

#5 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,586 posts
  • LocationGalveston

If Rivera was going to be fired, it would have been done already.

#6 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

InB4 "What the hell is a Jim Szoke"

Ok I'll play, he's that guy who has covered every single panther game in franchise history, the host of the pre and post game shows, preseason play-by-play analyst, co host of Panther Talk, basically the color analyst for the panthers. That help?

#7 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

So we upgrade the online then keep Chud as he goes back to read option as a base to see if it works this time =\

#8 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Gawd I hope he is wrong about rivera.

I wasn't thrilled about that part but Rivera did meet the upward trend at the end of the season requirement. And it's been a week already. He's probably safe.

#9 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,570 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Ok I'll play, he's that guy who has covered every single panther game in franchise history, the host of the pre and post game shows, preseason play-by-play analyst, co host of Panther Talk, basically the color analyst for the panthers. That help?

Mick Mixon scoffs lol, jk.

#10 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

So we upgrade the online then keep Chud as he goes back to read option as a base to see if it works this time =\

You know that sounds pretty fuggin scary and possible at the same time.

#11 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,643 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

If LT and corner are 2 of our biggest needs it could mean we are looking to cut Gross. It could mean we cut Gamble or are referring to the number 2 corner. Wide receiver suggests we are serious about finding a replacement for Smith for down the road.

I doesn't surprise me that Rivera could be kept. A 4 game win streak even in" meaningless games" is a big deal especially when they include Atlanta (who Richardson reportedly doesn't like) and New Orleans in the dome. Division rivals are a big deal.

#12 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Mick Mixon scoffs lol, jk.

I met him at training camp and ran in to him in New Orleans at a game. He's a super friendly guy and even remembered my name and what I did for a living.

#13 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Not to mention that regardless of competition, it's the first four game win streak since '08. Baby steps y'all.

#14 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,297 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

I want a link soon. Please for me to believe you

#15 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I want a link soon. Please for me to believe you

No worries, we just recorded tonight. I'll get back up to the studio the first of next week to put the finishing touches on the show. I wouldn't have posted this so soon but like I said I was just a little giddy. He was our first real interview.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com