Photo
- - - - -

Would you hire this guy as your head coach and pay him huge bucks?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,642 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

So if I told you that a very successful college coach had never played in the NFL or even in college, had no experience as a coordinator or position coach in the NFL and prior to his current job coached at John Hopkins, Columbia, and New Hampshire. Would you be in a sure fire to hire him?

I wouldn't. People are so crazy about the read option and uptempo offense of Oregon that they forget that their coach has no NFL experience of any kind and has coached a good D-1 program for 4 years.

Name me one successful college coach who didn't play in college or in the pros with no NFL experience who was instantly successful in the NFL as a head coach.

#2 Panths

Panths

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

but but that's the guy everyone wants, we have to get him!

#3 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,683 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I would ask you for more information about the guy you're describing before I said whether I wanted him or not.

You can't sum up a coach in a few paragraphs well enough to make a decision.

#4 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,642 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I would ask you for more information about the guy you're describing before I said whether I wanted him or not.

You can't sum up a coach in a few paragraphs well enough to make a decision.

Name me one college head coach with his type of resume who was successful in the NFL as a head coach right off the bat.

#5 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,454 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

The Patriots sure thought he was worth studying

#6 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

• HUDDLER
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

So if I told you that a very successful college coach had never played in the NFL or even in college, had no experience as a coordinator or position coach in the NFL and prior to his current job coached at John Hopkins, Columbia, and New Hampshire. Would you be in a sure fire to hire him?

I wouldn't. People are so crazy about the read option and uptempo offense of Oregon that they forget that their coach has no NFL experience of any kind and has coached a good D-1 program for 4 years.

Name me one successful college coach who didn't play in college or in the pros with no NFL experience who was instantly successful in the NFL as a head coach.

Saban, Harbaugh?

#7 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

logical fallacies at every turn, my god man this is not how you put together an argument

#8 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have my doubts about him too, but he does seem to be very well regarded in NFL circles (by coaches, GM's, etc.). That makes me take him a bit more seriously.

JR/new GM should probably at least talk to him to form their own impressions.

#9 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Saban, Harbaugh?

Harbaugh never played at Michigan or for the Bears, Colts, Ravens, Chargers, Lions and even the Panthers? What time dimension do you live in?

#10 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

• HUDDLER
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Harbaugh never played at Michigan or for the Bears, Colts, Ravens, Chargers, Lions and even the Panthers? What time dimension do you live in?

John Harbaugh?

#11 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

John Harbaugh?

Played at Miami Ohio.

Saban played at Kent State too. Both DB's.

#12 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,642 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

The Patriots sure thought he was worth studying

Looking at how he runs his practice is not the same thing as saying he would be great head coach. As I said, then hire his offensive coordinator as your coordinator. None of this means he will be a great HC. Rivera has a history of being a great defensive coordinator. People emulated his work but does it make him a great head coach??

#13 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

• HUDDLER
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Played at Miami Ohio.

Saban played at Kent State too. Both DB's.

Interesting, didn't know that.

Either way, it's a terrible argument to be making in the first place.

#14 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Looking at how he runs his practice is not the same thing as saying he would be great head coach. As I said, then hire his offensive coordinator as your coordinator. None of this means he will be a great HC. Rivera has a history of being a great defensive coordinator. People emulated his work but does it make him a great head coach??

Hiring Josh McDaniels worked out real good for the Broncos didn't it?

#15 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,642 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Again Saban (Oiler for one year as DB coach) and Harbaugh (Philly for 9 years) both coached in the NFL in other capacities prior to being a head coach. Kelly has never played or coached at any level besides college. And Saban was that successful in the NFL as a head coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com