Photo
- - - - -

Would you hire this guy as your head coach and pay him huge bucks?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Interesting, didn't know that.

Either way, it's a terrible argument to be making in the first place.

It is a great argument. No one I can think of has ever gone from college to the pros with no playing experience or NFL experience with success. Good luck on the players buying into your system when they know you never played or coaches at this level. These aren't impressionable 18 year olds but men.

#17 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

It is a great argument. No one I can think of has ever gone from college to the pros with no playing experience or NFL experience with success. Good luck on the players buying into your system when they know you never played or coaches at this level. These aren't impressionable 18 year olds but men.

Jimmy Johnson says hello.

#18 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,566 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

So if I told you that a very successful college coach had never played in the NFL or even in college, had no experience as a coordinator or position coach in the NFL and prior to his current job coached at John Hopkins, Columbia, and New Hampshire. Would you be in a sure fire to hire him?

I wouldn't. People are so crazy about the read option and uptempo offense of Oregon that they forget that their coach has no NFL experience of any kind and has coached a good D-1 program for 4 years.

Name me one successful college coach who didn't play in college or in the pros with no NFL experience who was instantly successful in the NFL as a head coach.

Posted Image

Is 3 rings considered successful?

#19 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hiring Josh McDaniels worked out real good for the Broncos didn't it?

What does that have to do with anything. Prove that guys with college playing experience and tons of coordinator work can fail in the NFL? I know that.

Now what about a guy with no playing experience and no NFL experience.

Exactly............

#20 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,223 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

The Patriots sure thought he was worth studying

There is a BIG difference in studying some aspects of what he does on offense and turning the keys to the car over to him to implement that full offense.

#21 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Posted Image

Is 3 rings considered successful?

Do you not read or what??

Johnson played college ball for the lengendary Frank Broyles in Arkansas and was a SWC defensive linemen. One of his teammates was Jerry Jones.

Fail again. The criteria was never played college football or in the pros and had no NFL experience.

#22 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Jimmy Johnson says hello.

Jimmy Johnson says he played college ball at Arkansas under the legend Frank Broyles who taught him a ton about coaching.

fail again...........................

#23 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

So if I told you that a very successful college coach had never played in the NFL or even in college, had no experience as a coordinator or position coach in the NFL and prior to his current job coached at John Hopkins, Columbia, and New Hampshire. Would you be in a sure fire to hire him?

I wouldn't. People are so crazy about the read option and uptempo offense of Oregon that they forget that their coach has no NFL experience of any kind and has coached a good D-1 program for 4 years.

Name me one successful college coach who didn't play in college or in the pros with no NFL experience who was instantly successful in the NFL as a head coach.

I can name you one NFL head coach who had all those prerequisites that you mentioned and has failed to have success in 2 seasons.....

I am not qualified enough to know for sure if this guy can translate his success to the NFL level, but 1 thing he does have that Rivera does not is a successful track record of being a head coach, albeit at the college level vs the pro's.

Also if Rivera was fired tommorow, I bet he does not get 1 team inquiring about him for their head coaching job, meanwhile Kelly has had several teams very interested in him and even 1 who thought they had him hired last year.

#24 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,566 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Uh oh. Somebody forgot to wipe p55.

#25 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Personally I say we stick to our head coach that can't crack .500 even with a QB that's set records for 2 years now. 7-9 isn't awful, why take a risk?

#26 CarolinaVeins

CarolinaVeins

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

rayzor is right. This does sound like the same arguments against Cam and his transition to the NFL

#27 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,566 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Kurb and I were discussing ol' Kelly on the Twitters last night, and I said that I'd prefer for him to come in as an OC first, but if somebody is willing to pay you, you take the money.

He is certainly capable of adjusting to the NFL, but I'm not sure how fast he can transition. He may need to transition one step at a time, but a coach like that wouldn't (and shouldn't) think he should have to.

I do know he's got two things that Ronnie lacks:

Posted Image

#28 FastNFurious

FastNFurious

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

History never lies.... it repeats itself sometimes...but it never lies

#29 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,295 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

first, i'd consider the notion that he has no playing experience or experience in the NFL, but i wouldn't base my decision to hire or not on it. it would be something i would have to weigh everything else around, though, and how i handled him. i think it matters, esp. when there are pretty much no examples of something like that happening, but just because something hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't be. most of the time it results in failure, but that has never stopped the innovators and visionaries from trying and when success happens, it's big time.

it's a risk for sure, but so is hiring a DC or an OC or any assistant to take over the helm of a full team. it's dumb to hire someone without experience doing a job without having someone with them with experience.

i've said all along that the only way i'd hire him was if he was surrounded by NFL experienced coaches and, in fact, i would hire a DC with HC experience and name him an assistant head coach. every key position on his staff would have NFL experienced coaches. it's essential for the transition to be made.

now that seems like an awful lot of trouble, but it's not inconsistent with the way i would handle any HC with no previous NFL HC experience. it would also be done only if i thought it was worth the effort, and by doing that i would look at the whole picture and not just that part that says "he's just a college coach".

i'd look at the way he's running his program...not just his offense, but the whole program. i'd look most certainly at the way he runs his practices and how he runs his meetings. how do they get the players as a whole prepared for what they are going to do on game day? i'd look at the level of discipline. i'd look at the way he treated his players...if he treated them like a baby sitter would little kids or does he treat them like a man leading other men?

i'd look at his coaching philosophy and his knowledge of the game and see if it's transferable. i'd look to see if what he's doing is being done at the level i'm expecting. i'm looking to see what's different than what is being done and what is similar (and there's more similar than people realize in this case). i'd look to see the impact that he's having on not just coaching at his level, but at other levels, esp. at the pro level as well as who it was that was looking to him and what they were able to do with it. i'd look at his success rate, if the guy knows how to win. i'd look at the amount of time he spends on improving his team and if he's able to sell that to the rest of his team.

i'd also look to see if we had players that fit what he did, esp. at key positions. we do. it's a run heavy program and we've got stud ball carriers. we have a QB that played in very much the same type offense and team at auburn. we have an RB that played with him before. we have a very young team with a lot of energy that would be able to carry out what he wants to do. aside from the OL (which is in need of an overhaul or at the very least needs a lot of help anyway) we have most the pieces he needs. but, yeah....i'd like to see how much of a change in personnel would be needed to fit his program.

there's so much that would go into that decision, regardless of where he came from.

as i said in that other thread talking about pretty much the same thing...i'd also make sure that i was protected against his failure. i'd try and make the contract as incentive based as possible. you succeed, i'll make you a king. you fail, we'll part ways...but i'll give you time and rope to do it. i'll give you a probationary period at first with reasonable qualifiers along the way. first year has to be better than the year before you took over. after that, a winning season...bare minimum. after that winning season, then two winning seasons in a row and the playoffs. to do it i'll make sure you have a GM that will get you the players you feel you need for your program.

there would have to be a balance in the way i managed him, but all of it would hinge on this one thing, just as it would with any coach....can we win with him?

some coaches, just like some quarterbacks, come with a higher risk, but a higher ceiling. is it worth it? was it worth it to draft cam first overall? supposedly he had no experience in a "pro system". he had been with no team more than one year and he only had one year experience starting in a D1 school. he had a track record that wasn't exactly stellar. he wasn't beloved by many and wasn't believed by many within the pro ranks to have what it took. and it was the most important position on the team. it was a risk. sure, it was a bit measured because of the rookie cap, but even that brings a legit question...would cam, with the "obvious" questions and concerns be worth the size contract that previous early pick QBs had gotten?

some times you've got to take risks if you feel the end result could be spectacular and, just like with cam, the end result with chip could be just that.

of course all that doesn't really matter because i don't think we have an owner that will go out on a limb for kelly. reaching out for newton was hard enough, i'm sure. there'd have to be one incredible sales pitch made on JR to even get him to notice kelly because he's part of the closed and exclusive NFL club, which is unfortunate.

#30 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

^^^^^^^ /thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com