Football Programs and Rape

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,547 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

First Steubenville (who were it not for the Internet, they probably would have walked scott free).:

Watch the video if you can stand it:

One of coaches comment on the whole affair?

"The rape was just an excuse, I think ...What else are you going to tell your parents when you come home drunk like that and after a night like that? She had to make up something. Now people are trying to blow up our football program because of it."

And then two UT players in San Antonio:

We have received a copy of the redacted report made to San Antonio police at 2:49 a.m. today by a 21-year-old woman who says she was raped. The suspects have been identified as a 20-year-old black man who stands 6-2, 235, and a 21-year-old white man who is 6-0, 180. On UT's football website, Hicks is listed at 6-2, 235, but McCoy is listed at 6-2, 200. Both are juniors.

http://deadspin.com/...dium=socialflow

Is it the nature of the sport or a sense of entitlement?

#2 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,437 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's not the sport.

It's a combination of athletes being treated like gods who are entitled to whatever they want and piss poor attitudes about how to treat women.

#3 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,629 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Regarding the two UT players, how do you prove there was a rape? The young lady is probably telling the truth, but there have certainly been false rape accusations before (the duke lacrosse case for example). And probably isn't enough to convict someone of a crime.

The one thing I will tell my son when he is old enough is to never have sex with a girl who is drunk. And if you have to ask if she is to drunk for sex, then she is to drunk for sex.

#4 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Regarding the two UT players, how do you prove there was a rape? The young lady is probably telling the truth, but there have certainly been false rape accusations before (the duke lacrosse case for example). And probably isn't enough to convict someone of a crime.

The one thing I will tell my son when he is old enough is to never have sex with a girl who is drunk. And if you have to ask if she is to drunk for sex, then she is to drunk for sex.

good luck with that one.

#5 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Might be better to tell him to be in a relationship if he is going to have sex with a girl. Should fix that issue.

#6 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,629 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Might be better to tell him to be in a relationship if he is going to have sex with a girl. Should fix that issue.

I knew a guy who got accused of raping a girl he was in relationship with. She accused him of taking advantage of her when she was passed out. He swore they were both a little drunk, and when they had sex, she got on top. He was a pretty decent guy who has now been married and happy for about 15 years. She has since made similar accusations against other guys and is on her 4th divorce, so I tend to believe him in this case. But my point is that even being a relationship doesn't mean you are completely safe.

I might tell him to ensure he is in a relationship with a sane girl or woman. :)

#7 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

It's not the sport, it's predominantly male organizations of many types who protect each other, 'good ole boys clubs.' Nearly half of women in the US military are raped as well.

#8 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

It's not the sport, it's predominantly male organizations of many types who protect each other, 'good ole boys clubs.' Nearly half of women in the US military are raped as well.

My daughter once told me that she was thinking of joining the Army, and I freaked out a little bit, thinking of the reports of sexual abuse of women in the military (she's only a freshman in HS and has since changed her mind). So I know it happens, and its frequently ignored or brushed off. Do you have a source for your statistic? (in case she changes her mind again)

#9 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,668 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

My daughter once told me that she was thinking of joining the Army, and I freaked out a little bit, thinking of the reports of sexual abuse of women in the military (she's only a freshman in HS and has since changed her mind). So I know it happens, and its frequently ignored or brushed off. Do you have a source for your statistic? (in case she changes her mind again)

Yeah, I'll link some sources. I think the number is 40-45% of women report being raped, and those are just the ones who actually report it. The Pentagon estimates about 19,000 rapes per year, and based on that number .5% of military rapists are convicted.

I have a good friend who barely made it into the Army before being severely beaten and raped by a group of men, and now lives with pretty bad PTSD which borders on agorophobia after having grown up doing theatre.

Sources:

http://articles.cnn....ervice?_s=PM:US

http://technorati.co...ary-then-raped/

#10 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,449 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

#11 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,161 posts
  • Location704

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

did yall ever hear about Prince Shembo (Ardrey Kell HS in Charlotte) and what happened his freshmen year at Notre Dame?

what about Georgia QB Christian LeMay and his "youthful infraction" while at Butler HS a couple years ago?

#12 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

did yall ever hear about Prince Shembo (Ardrey Kell HS in Charlotte) and what happened his freshmen year at Notre Dame?

what about Georgia QB Christian LeMay and his "youthful infraction" while at Butler HS a couple years ago?

Shembo yes, LeMay no,

#13 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HUDDLER
  • 9,783 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Shembo yes, LeMay no,

trying to find information about lemay right now

"undisclosed violation" over and over again

#14 Bama Panther

Bama Panther

USAF JAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

The numbers you posted are sexual assault, not rape. Under the UCMJ, a butt slap/squeeze is considered sexual assault. Things in the military are very geared towards curbing any sexual assault now, but those numbers, especially those in the documentary The Invisible War, are vastly skewed by not stating that sexual assault does not equal rape
d

Yeah, I'll link some sources. I think the number is 40-45% of women report being raped, and those are just the ones who actually report it. The Pentagon estimates about 19,000 rapes per year, and based on that number .5% of military rapists are convicted.

I have a good friend who barely made it into the Army before being severely beaten and raped by a group of men, and now lives with pretty bad PTSD which borders on agorophobia after having grown up doing theatre.

Sources:

http://articles.cnn....ervice?_s=PM:US

http://technorati.co...ary-then-raped/

#15 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,219 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...34407--spt.html

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio (AP) — Two Ohio high school football players who were found guilty of raping a drunken 16-year-old girl have been sentenced to at least one year in juvenile jail.

Steubenville High School students Trent Mays and Ma'Lik Richmond were found guilty Sunday of attacking the girl after an alcohol-fueled party last August. The case roiled the small city and stirred reaction from activists online.

The judge sentenced them both to at least one year in juvenile jail and said both can be held until they're 21. Mays, who's 17, was sentenced to an additional year in jail on a charge of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material, to be served after his rape sentence is completed.

Both Mays and the 16-year-old Richmond have been ordered to avoid contact with the victim until they're 21.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com