• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,811 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

You guys don't know if Beane is the right choice or not

We're not in the organization. We don't know

Here's what I do know.

If...

You put a guy who's never even worked as a low level scout in charge of your entire draft...

You put a guy who up till a few weeks ago was analyzing operations budgets and making travel arrangements in charge of managing your salary cap...

You pass over two guys with 15-20 years of experience building and managing rosters for a guy who's only done it for a matter of weeks (and even that with assistance from the head coach)...

...then you're most definitely not choosing the best candidate.

#137 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,584 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Rivera was good when he got a fire lit under his ass. It will still be lit game 1 of next year. Happy Rivera got the Job.

Maybe if we hire beane he will be Rivera's Puppet. Rivera pretty much makes personel decisions, and if he fails, he along with beane will be out.

i see no evidence supporting that.

#138 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,584 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Here's what I do know.

If...

You put a guy who's never even worked as a low level scout in charge of your entire draft...

You put a guy who up till a few weeks ago was analyzing operations budgets and making travel arrangements in charge of managing your salary cap...

You pass over two guys with 15-20 years of experience building and managing rosters for a guy who's only done it for a matter of weeks (and even that with assistance from the head coach)...

...then you're most definitely not choosing the best candidate.

what you are is showing who you are as an organization.

loyalty is more important that quality.

#139 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 10,821 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

http://blogs.charlot..._medium=twitter

Retaining Rivera good move by the wrong man

I like Ron Rivera. Think there were more reasons for the Carolina Panthers to retain him as head coach than to let him go. He was a much better coach in December than he was in September and October. He grew into the job. If the growth continues, the Panthers made a very good move.
But should owner Jerry Richardson have made the call, or should he have entrusted the decision to the general manager he hires?
Although Richardson knows Rivera better than any GM would, the GM should have at least helped make the decision.
If the Panthers are going to succeed, the general manager has to run the football operation. Owner as GM doesn't work, as the Dallas Cowboys will attest.
So: I like the decision to bring back Rivera.
I don't like that Richardson made it.

#140 Chaos

Chaos

A Star is born

• HUDDLER
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Wait. Someone tell me wtf makes Beane a qualified GM to manage a salary cap, scout players, evaluate talent, etc? I mean this is the guy who has been booking the Panthers team travel and related logistics. Where is the correlation?

#141 Newtons2ndLaw

Newtons2ndLaw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

With two years of HC experience, I think Rivera will lead us to a winning record next year. Is there a cut off point of Rivera haters whether he stays or goes?

But when has experience EVER made a HC successful? Look at Romeo Crennel, Mangini, Nolan, Singletary, etc. HC unlike players don't get better with experience. The good ones win out the gate, or maximum after their first season.

#142 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,584 posts

Did you type something? I don't see anything in your reply. Anyway, have great day!

lol that's the spirit!

Posted Image

#143 Car123

Car123

Newton's Law

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Can anyone name any new HCs that were not successful their first 2 seasons and turned it around? I just don't understand. In this day and age, only veteran HCs should get this level of commitment to right the ship, given their experience. These days rookie coaches are stepping up and winning out the gate, so why settle for less and more of the same that hasn't worked in the last 12 years? This has fail written all over it.

Jimmy Johnson
http://www.pro-footb...hes/JohnJi0.htm

Bill Walsh
Posted Image

Tom Landry

Posted Image

#144 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 10,821 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

But I think there’s at least a decent chance interim general manager Brandon Beane could become the permanent general manager, but that may come with some restructuring of the personnel department. The Panthers already have pro personnel director Mark Koncz, college scouting director Don Gregory and salary-cap manager Rob Rogers already in place and all are competent. But fans may not be very happy if the Panthers simply elevate Beane and stick with what they’ve got. I can see a situation in which Beane is promoted, but someone with a strong personnel background is brought in to oversee the personnel department.

However the Panthers structure things, they have to win in 2013 because Richardson isn't going to be patient any longer.

http://espn.go.com/b...013-on-hot-seat

Enter Mr. Gettleman as the personnel director.............

#145 ickmule

ickmule

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

http://blogs.charlot..._medium=twitter

How does one know that the actual candidates haven't already been asked about Rivera? I love so many people want to speculate what happened. Why waste so much energy on things we have no clue about?

#146 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• HUDDLER
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Jimmy Johnson
http://www.pro-footb...hes/JohnJi0.htm

Bill Walsh
Posted Image

Tom Landry

Posted Image

Care to weigh that against the coaches that didn't?

#147 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,584 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

But when has experience EVER made a HC successful? Look at Romeo Crennel, Mangini, Nolan, Singletary, etc. HC unlike players don't get better with experience. The good ones win out the gate, or maximum after their first season.

i've known lots of experienced failures.

i think it can take more time with some, but i haven't seen that in rivera. i see only a guy who can win when desperate to keep his job and who's players will only step it up when that job is in jeopardy.

not sure how much i like that.

but to your point, experience does not always equal growth. prisons are full of people with tons of experience.

#148 Lilsmitty09

Lilsmitty09

Nflpanthers07

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationWashington State

LOL at all of you shocked by this news. It's almost been a week and you expected us to just can him now and go out looking so late LOLLOLOL.

But for real, good for Rivera. Unlike last year, we didn't end on a 4 game win streak and now we dont have hurney!

#149 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Can anyone name any new HCs that were not successful their first 2 seasons and turned it around?

Bill Walsh. First two seasons with 49's were 2-14 and 6-10. Third year Superbowl.

#150 Car123

Car123

Newton's Law

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Care to weigh that against the coaches that didn't?

Most coaches aren't good their first couple years of coaching

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.