Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how much stock should you put into the combine?

31 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Vontaze Burfict ran a 5+ 40 yard dash

he led the Bengals in tackles and graded very well for several weeks according to PFF

that's how much stock you should put into the combine

Posted · Report post

I just want a player created by science to play NT that's 7'6", 550 lbs, runs a 4.1 and benches 120 reps. I want him to also have tape where he just picks up O-lineman and throws them into the QB every play.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mister Love' timestamp='1357453498' post='2080037']
Vontaze Burfict ran a 5+ 40 yard dash

he led the Bengals in tackles and graded very well for several weeks according to PFF

that's how much stock you should put into the combine
[/quote]

Well Burfict was a highly regarded prospect coming out. He was called the next coming of Ray Lewis. It wasnt until like that last couple weeks where Mike Mayock called out Burfict that he wouldnt draft him. And off the field issues hurted him a lot. Though, the kid showed he could play during his time at ASU.

Posted · Report post

very little

Posted · Report post

As a fan I put more stock into it that most NFL teams.

It's my only real chance to see these players on a level playing field. I don't have access to their practices, their interviews, the coaches' film or their pro days. I think you can tell a lot by how fluid players are in their position drills.

That said film should be the prominent factor in the evaluation of a prospect. I quite like the Senior Bowl too - especially the practices.

If a player doesn't show up on film and he blows up the Combine he's only considered in the 6th/7th round in my opinion. You can always use athletes, but not at the expense of football players.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Julio Jones. The combine skyrocketed him and it should've. You have to match on field production with combine numbers. Without gameday production the workouts are nothing (Terrell McClain). If a player is extremely productive on field but has bad combine numbers lean on game footage. Dwayne Jarretts 4.7 however trumps all

Posted · Report post

I took a wonderlic once. Made a 39. (out of 40)

fyi

Posted · Report post

Lets just not blow up the huddle again if a player has a Dontari Poe combine at a position of need

Posted · Report post

The combine and pro days are for players to show improvement in areas of concern. Not just athletic performance, but personality with all of the interviews and whatnot. Also a chance to see other measurables that aren't recorded during the season like the 40, come drills, route running, broad, vertical, etc.

Posted · Report post

Only thing I really put stock into is the drills designed to test a players quickness, speed, agility, etc...

Those are three characteristics of a great football player so usually when you see good numbers at those designated drills it tends to mean you have a pretty good ball player on your hand (i.e. Kuechly, Newton, Beason, Williams, Smith, Davis etc).

I'm sure other drills are important to other people, but to me; these guys already know how to play football so just show me something extra (the wow factor) to make me a believer (i.e. 40 time).

Posted · Report post

We see the drills and get all charged up.

What is not seen, but probably carries the most weight are the interviews.

Posted · Report post

does everybody realize that Dontari Poe went 11 overall and is the starting NT for a decent chiefs defense after killing the combine with bad tape. if the skill is there, and the athlete has the drive the coaching will get the most out of the player.