Superbowl HCs (first 2 yrs)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'll save you time. A large majority of coaches who started out with back to back losing seasons didn't go on to to post winning records, much less a Super Bowl. They just ended up being failures.

A large a majority of all coaches (winning seasons, losing seasons, whatever criteria you pick) don't win rings.....overwhelming majority of all coaches are fired and deemed failures.

#32 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,958 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

So you're saying just by the numbers, Ron Rivera's coaching acumen can only be matched by none other than Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin?

#33 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Is there a particular reason Rivera was canned right after the game?

Word in Chicago was.....Lovie felt uncomfortable his team got to a Superbowl on the back of Rivera's D and Hester. Rivera was becoming a threat.

#34 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

A large a majority of all coaches (winning seasons, losing seasons, whatever criteria you pick) don't win rings.....overwhelming majority of all coaches are fired and deemed failures.

Uh. Yes. Most coaches fail. The point being that the deck is stacked even more when they start out as poorly as Rivera has.

#35 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,766 posts
  • LocationNC

Is there a particular reason Rivera was canned right after the game?

lol, weres mike martz and lovie smith now? What's your point? There's a fall guy to every story.

#36 Sloth

Sloth

idk

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,624 posts

Word in Chicago was.....Lovie felt uncomfortable his team got to a Superbowl on the back of Rivera's D and Hester. Rivera was becoming a threat.

Or the fact that Rivera was foisted onto him and Smith didn't need him to build a good defense.

#37 TopCat

TopCat

Swerve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

So Rivera is the next Belichick, minus the cheater. Cool.

#38 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

So you're saying just by the numbers, Ron Rivera's coaching acumen can only be matched by none other than Bill Belichick and Tom Coughlin?

No, saying by the numbers.....coaches grow and develop like players.

Bill Belichick wasn't the same coach year 2 as 10. DeAngelo Williams wasn't the same player year 2 as 3.

Simply pointing out.....2 years doesn't define someone. That is the point. Not comparing RR really to anyone. Moving on too soon....sometimes hurts you and rewards others.

#39 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Or the fact that Rivera was foisted onto him and Smith didn't need him to build a good defense.

Well, he never went back to the Superbowl on the back of his D or had a D that good....

#40 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

this logic is fuging stupid

#41 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,958 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

No, saying by the numbers.....coaches grow and develop like players.

Bill Belichick wasn't the same coach year 2 as 10. DeAngelo Williams wasn't the same player year 2 as 3.

Simply pointing out.....2 years doesn't define someone. That is the point. Not comparing RR really to anyone. Moving on too soon....sometimes hurts you and rewards others.

It could be, but my problem is all of Rivera's wins have come against teams with little to play for or losing records. Too many times our team has come out looking unprepared and that is unacceptable. He's made too many questionable decisions and quotes for me to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he's not who he has appeared to be thus far.

But, my opinion is of little consequence. I'm just a fan and have to accept the decision that has been made for us and hope for the best, but I fear it was the wrong one yet again...

#42 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

this logic is fuging stupid

The everything doesn't happen overnight logic is stupid?

That is one reason Rivera should stay.

being handicapped by a fired GM is another reason he deserved another year.

#43 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,652 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

i can just see it now...in two more years after we finally have a winning record but no playoffs people saying "rome wasn't built in a day."

meh....

wasn't calling for a superbowl. just a winning record. is that too much to ask? apparently it is. bar is obviously set way too high there.

#44 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

It could be, but my problem is all of Rivera's wins have come against teams with little to play for or losing records. Too many times our team has come out looking unprepared and that is unacceptable. He's made too many questionable decisions and quotes for me to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he's not who he has appeared to be thus far.

But, my opinion is of little consequence. I'm just a fan and have to accept the decision that has been made for us and hope for the best, but I fear it was the wrong one yet again...

Under RR we have literally been in all 32 games but maybe 4. That is with what is now a 2nd year QB who had comically few college starts vs the norm. I wouldn't say that is the sign of an unprepared team.

It is disappointing. Bc the difference between us being what we have been.....and a MUCH better record under RR is actually just a play a game.

I think the difference between Rivera being good and what he has been.....is really just him making a very small step.

#45 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,958 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

My biggest problem is, in all of the years I've watched, followed, and studied football, I've never seen a coach make some of the mistakes Rivera has... "Inexperienced" head coach or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com