• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 Vagrant

Vagrant

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Gettis is by far the most overrated player on this message board. Yes, he caught 3 big balls way back in 2010....3 plays and in 2010 have people thinking we have AJ Green sitting on the sideline.

He caught more than 3 balls that year. And three big plays having Jimmy Clausen throwing the ball is like.... 10 from Cam. He was hands down better than LaFell at the start of their respective careers and since Rivera wasn't here to see it, it didn't happen. Louis Murphy is Legendu v2.

I would also like to add Gary Barnidge. I totally forgot about him and his non-existent usage.

#17 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,640 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Hurney wasn't a football guy. I think 2011 and 2012 where pretty much Rivera drafts. 2010 was Hurney's draft and everything else Fox.

I think the new GM is going to heavily hit Hurney's 2010 and Fox's boys.

#18 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,976 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I don't know what's overrated about seeing a rookie make the plays he did... There is proof he CAN play. Again, Simms said during our CBS broadcast this year that Gettis was explosive and would be a big contributor to our offense for years to come. Yet, Rivera publicly argued with him and he never saw the active list again thereafter.

You can't teach his size/speed combo, and he can get behind a defense. People want to downplay what he did as a rookie and compare him to Drew Carter... Well, Carter never made the type of plays Gettis did. EVER.

#19 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

I don't know what's overrated about seeing a rookie make the plays he did... There is proof he CAN play. Again, Simms said during our CBS broadcast this year that Gettis was explosive and would be a big contributor to our offense for years to come. Yet, Rivera publicly argued with him and he never saw the active list again thereafter.

You can't teach his size/speed combo, and he can get behind a defense. People want to downplay what he did as a rookie and compare him to Drew Carter... Well, Carter never made the type of plays Gettis did. EVER.

Plus his teammates say he's got the fastest wheels on the team. I think we should see what he can do based on his size and speed alone.

#20 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,640 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

He caught more than 3 balls that year. And three big plays having Jimmy Clausen throwing the ball is like.... 10 from Cam. He was hands down better than LaFell at the start of their respective careers and since Rivera wasn't here to see it, it didn't happen. Louis Murphy is Legendu v2.

I would also like to add Gary Barnidge. I totally forgot about him and his non-existent usage.

3 balls made the legend.

and Clausen didn't throw a single one of them.

and no, Gettis was a better vertical threat as a rookie but LaFell showed to have a more complete game as a rookie. People like the big plays....but LaFell was showing more all around skills.

#21 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,640 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Plus his teammates say he's got the fastest wheels on the team. I think we should see what he can do based on his size and speed alone.

They said that about Carter too.

#22 Panthers4lyfe

Panthers4lyfe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

dwill.. any chance we had of restructuring him and keeping him on the ball club just went out the window.. he will surely be cut or traded now which is a shame because i really like deangelo

#23 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,976 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Umm, no offense CRA, but LaFell struggled his rookie year and had a pretty high % of drops.

#24 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,640 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Umm, no offense CRA, but LaFell struggled his rookie year and had a pretty high % of drops.

Didn't say he didn't have his struggles.

He showed a more diverse game than Gettis. Gettis ran the deep vertical better than LaFell and slightly better hands.

The rest? LaFell looked better IMO. That's a lot of different routes, more athletic, better with the ball after the catch, more physical, blocking and used his body better.

Oh, and no offense taken. Board is only interesting when people respectfully disagree on issues we care about

#25 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,439 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

they're all safe.

why change? rome wasn't built in a day, right?

Rome's success wasn't built in a day.

Charlotte's disappointment took only 18 years.

#26 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

dwill.. any chance we had of restructuring him and keeping him on the ball club just went out the window.. he will surely be cut or traded now which is a shame because i really like deangelo

Rivera might have taken a new liking to DWill after that Saints** game performance. it very well might have saved Rivera's job.

#27 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,439 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Rivera might have taken a new liking to DWill after that Saints** game performance. it very well might have saved Rivera's job.

Right. Rivera's job was saved by winning meaningless games late in the season after any post-season hopes were crushed.

Why can't DeAngelo Williams keep his job after tearing it up in a meaningless game at the end of the season after any post-season hopes were crushed?

#28 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,640 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

Rivera essentially demoted him 2 consecutive years. He demoted him this year after his first nice showing against the worst D in NFL history

#29 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,493 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Unfortunately, it really doesn't matter. We are going to have to move one of our RB's, and Stewart's contract makes it pretty much impossible to move him.

#30 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I recall a bunch of Huddlers clamoring for Rivera to put Adams back on the field. Rivera should give the guy another chance, how can Rivera keep Adams inactive and activate Edwards, etc. Rivera finally put Adams back on the field and we all know what happened. Maybe, just maybe, the guys that aren't playing, aren't ready to play...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com