Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So wait, im confused (cap space related.)

46 posts in this topic

Posted

Simple answer to the op - its obama money

Posted

Don't see why this thread got bashed. Most PantherTrain threads I get the bashing, but this one, I just don't see the reason.

Every thread gets bashed here. You have to weed through all the "Clever" remarks before finding quality posts.

Posted

It's spread over over 5yrs duh.

You post too much without thinking

Posted

But that is the thing...

A lot of what the new GM isn't evaluating talent playing on the field....but look at Fox era guys and what we are paying them (age and roster depth).

Our cap isn't a mess bc of Rivera era players. They cost peanuts. Those are the young guys.

Alright so....I don't think we're going to be able to cut all the vets we need to cut because I would assume their would be very hefty cap penalties if there is one big unilateral cut. So who do we keep and who do we let go?

Gamble, Beason, Gross, DWill, Stewart, or Kalil?

Posted

Its all thanks to Obamacare

Posted

The fact he isn't emotionally invested with the players could be a good thing.

But personally I believe that since Rivera got one more yr that Beane gets a year and I see him not making the cuts we need

BTW, it could be a great thing.....as long as we hire the right person. This is probably one of the most important FO hiring decisions in Panthers history. Right now as an organization we're in purgatory between being a respected franchise and a poor one. So that's why this scares me (even if it's the right decision). This next GM really does need to hold the key to success because if he doesn't Cam is going to walk.

Posted

Alright so....I don't think we're going to be able to cut all the vets we need to cut because I would assume their would be very hefty cap penalties if there is one big unilateral cut. So who do we keep and who do we let go?

Strictly from a cap standpoint (not considering on field contribution), the easiest guys to cut with the biggest impact would be Gamble and Gross. DWill would save us some money if he were a June 1st cut, and I belive Beason's impact would be neutral if he were a June 1st cut.

Stewart appears uncuttable because he has tons of guaranteed money left on his contract. I'm not sure on Kalil as the site I use does not have data on players that are on IR.

As to who we keep and who we let go, it may depend on our draft strategy.

Posted

Strictly from a cap standpoint (not considering on field contribution), the easiest guys to cut with the biggest impact would be Gamble and Gross. DWill would save us some money if he were a June 1st cut, and I belive Beason's impact would be neutral if he were a June 1st cut.

Stewart appears uncuttable because he has tons of guaranteed money left on his contract. I'm not sure on Kalil as the site I use does not have data on players that are on IR.

As to who we keep and who we let go, it may depend on our draft strategy.

I guess that means we might need to draft another LB and RB maybe in the mid rounds. Because even though Thomas Davis had a full year with have 3 prior ACLs.....there will be a concern for the rest of his career. With Beason presumed gone we'll need more depth because our LBs never make it intact a full season together. Similar concern with the RBs considering each one of them miss a few game over the course of the season. So maybe draft OT,WR, CB, LB, S, RB, K.

Posted

He will have to start the cuts....can't do it all in a year.

Gamble and Williams seem like an easy calls to cut. Beason is probably one they will look at carefully. He might prefer a cut than a restructure leaving us little choice.

Kalil is safe IMO.

Posted

I guess that means we might need to draft another LB and RB maybe in the mid rounds. Because even though Thomas Davis had a full year with have 3 prior ACLs.....there will be a concern for the rest of his career. With Beason presumed gone we'll need more depth because our LBs never make it intact a full season together. Similar concern with the RBs considering each one of them miss a few game over the course of the season. So maybe draft OT,WR, CB, LB, S, RB, K.

RB's and LB's are easy to find and cheap, and we've got Armand Smith too.

I agree with you 100% though that OT and WR should be our first 2 picks, assuming the right players are there.