Photo
- - - - -

So wait, im confused (cap space related.)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,753 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Signing bonus is divided over the first 5 years of the contract. Base salary does not, so you can have a big contract but a low cap hit in some years.. Next

You can pro-rate it different ways, if you choose to pro-rate.

#17 klumme

klumme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

You can pro-rate it different ways, if you choose to pro-rate.

The signing bonus is always pro-rated over the the length of the contract (though max 5 years)

#18 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

PantherTrain, just curious...

Have you ever, even once in your life, used Google?

#19 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,375 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Don't listen to those clowns...

Hurney magic was real. It was actually magic.

#20 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

PantherTrain, just curious...

Have you ever, even once in your life, used Google?

i think he used it once. brought him here. yay.

#21 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,351 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

"So wait, I'm confused" an autobiography by PantherTrain84

#22 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,742 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I may be wrong, but contractually there are several different options that allow that sort of strange flexibility. In some contracts the GM decides to "front load" a contract so they pay less and less after each year....which is the best way to build a team if your patient over time. Conversely a contract might be "back loaded" so it can be contained below the salary cap for that season. The down side to this is, it just pretty much delays the inevitable and decreases cap flexibility over a period of time. Our time is up. Hurney was fired pretty much because he back loaded too many contracts with either underachieving players or positional redundancy and a lot of backloaded contracts have escalated simultaneously.

#23 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I may be wrong, but contractually there are several different options that allow that sort of strange flexibility. In some contracts the GM decides to "front load" a contract so they pay less and less after each year....which is the best way to build a team if your patient over time. Conversely a contract might be "back loaded" so it can be contained below the salary cap for that season. The down side to this is, it just pretty much delays the inevitable and decreases cap flexibility over a period of time. Our time is up. Hurney was fired pretty much because he back loaded too many contracts with either underachieving players or positional redundancy and a lot of backloaded contracts have escalated simultaneously.

He hasn't backloaded any more than most teams (the recent Stewart contract is an exception), he just paid people too much, be it for their level of skill or for the value of their position.

#24 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Don't listen to those clowns...

Hurney magic was real. It was actually magic.

Literally LOL'd! Perfect placement as well.

You guys are wrong for trying to confuse this poor guy (op)

#25 beckersteen

beckersteen

Nihilum

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • LocationConcord

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

carolinahuddle: damn you for not knowing how contracts and caps work in the nfl! damn yooooou!

#26 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,742 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

He hasn't backloaded any more than most teams (the recent Stewart contract is an exception), he just paid people too much, be it for their level of skill or for the value of their position.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Gross's contract is back loaded and so is Williams, Kalil's, Gamble's and Beason's right? I thought this was why we're squeezed cap wise and we're going to be forced to cut some vets this year, rely on the draft, and hire a gm who has had a lot of positive results scouting in the past.

#27 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Dear Mods,

Is there any way possible we can ban PT from at least creating any more Dumb threads??

#28 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but Gross's contract is back loaded and so is Williams, Kalil's, Gamble's and Beason's right? I thought this was why we're squeezed cap wise and we're going to be forced to cut some vets this year, rely on the draft, and hire a gm who has had a lot of positive results scouting in the past.

The majority of big NFL contracts have higher numbers in the final years than the initial years (backloaded). Some of this has historically been due to expectations of an increasing cap, and the ego of players and agents. The reason I mention ego is because all the stars want to have the biggest contract ever, blah, blah, blah, so GMs throw a big, non-guaranteed, salary into the later years to make it look like a bigger deal. Once those years approach, the players either renegotiate or are cut.

But some are more obvious than others. Stewart's salary was basically nothing this year (and next if I remember right), but he got the big signing bonus and has guaranteed salary in the middle years of the deal, making it hard to get out of.

Beason's, DWill's, Gamble's and Kalil's were all contracts in which the player was paid more than market value for their position and contribution. It is more glaring in Beason's case because of the injuries.

Once we signed DWill to that big deal, we never should have signed Stewart to a big deal as well. Beason, TD, and Anderson all got big contracts. Most teams might have one high paid LB, but to pay all 3 more than market value was a killer, even without the injuries. Most teams do not believe centers should get a huge salary, as it is often considered the least important o-line position, as evidenced by how few are drafted in the 1st round.

So long story short, our problems go beyond backloading. Way beyond.

#29 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

You said you were becoming a rams fan, why don't you already? LEAVE!

#30 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

Maybe this will help?

Carolina's nightmare cap situation

http://espn.go.com/b...e-cap-situation

We took a look at the New Orleans Saints’ salary-cap situation. It’s far from ideal, but at least the Saints have some obvious ways to free up cap space.

But I’m now looking at the numbers for the Carolina Panthers, and it sure looks like they’re in a much worse situation than the Saints. There simply aren’t a lot of easy escape routes for the Panthers.

--------------
The Panthers would lose cap space if they released Smith, Stewart or Godfrey. They’d basically break even on Anderson.

Beason and Williams could be candidates for release, but only if the Panthers designated them as June 1 cuts and spread their cap hit over two years, instead of one.

The Panthers currently have $136 million committed toward a 2013 salary cap that is expected to be slightly more than $120 million. Let’s look at some guys who could be on the cap bubble.
-------------

The bottom line here is the Panthers are in a brutal spot. They're not going to be able to do much of anything to improve themselves in free agency. They're going to be subtracting from their roster, and the only viable way to add to it will be through the draft.

And someone wants to step into, litterally, this kaka as a GM for the Panthers? Jerry "Jones" Richardson better have some deep pockets.

Same way with a HC. You better hope if the Panthers have to spin off Vets in favor of Rookie Draft pics. That Rivera has a Chuck Pagano/Bruce Arians clone somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com