Photo
- - - - -

Are the Panthers attractive to a GM prospect?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

If I am a high level executive looking at prospective employers, no matter the industry, I am first going to look at the task at hand. What will my responsibilities be, what will I need to fix or improve. Will I be given the support from the owner or board to fix those issues? Or am I being set up to fail?

Surely these are the same things any GM will be asking.

When I see the Panthers, I see a team with a couple extremely talented young players, but also a good number of cap heavy older non producers. I also see ownership that isn't exactly eager to aggressively seek out free agents to fill holes unless left no other option.

So, I would line up the pros and cons...

Pros
An owner that is loyal. Previous GM had longevity through losing seasons.
2 potential young all pro players at key positions, QB and MLB
3rd year coach with system in place, not starting over
Team seemed to rally late in the year, being 6-2

Cons
A complete mess of a cap
Major cuts needed right away to long term vets, leadership and chemistry will take a hit
Ownership is not exactly eager to sign free agents or trades to fill holes unless last resort
3rd year coach who can't seem to win games against quality teams
An overall tradition of losing.

The way I see it, the Carolina GM job isn't extremely attractive, but it isn't terrible either. It's somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Top notch GM candidates will have better opportunities and take them. Secondary prospects will see the Panthers as an opportunity to impress.

Beane being a secondary prospect and already in house gives him the edge. See loyalty above. All things point to him being our guy.

#2 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Stadium that needs renovation factor into the decision? At one time, it was touted as a tool to attract quality free agents, now it's old and stale.

I know plans are in the works, but is its current state a factor?

I would also add in a little too much interference from ownership in how he assembles his coaching staff and roster as a big negative.

#3 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,529 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

JR pretty much let Hurney do his thing. I dont think owner interference etc will be an issue. I think potential GM's see carolina as a good opportunity I think the sticking point is going to be how much JR will want to pay them.

#4 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,314 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

We've all heard it before in the Huddle and this post, in some respects, is no different.

As far as I'm concerned, a prospective GM is interviewing the owner as much as vice versa to answer some of the very questions you posed:
1. An owner that is loyal. Where does that loyalty lie? Is it with the ownership group that cares about little else except the bottom line or is there any loyalty toward the fan base, without whom your stadium would not have been built?

2. 3rd year coach with system in place, not starting over. What system? 6-10 to 7-9 with an offense that clearly regressed the first 9 weeks of the season and had a second year QB playing worse than he did the third week of his rookie season without the benefit of training camp? So, what exactly is the system and what is the vision?

3. Ownership is not exactly eager to sign free agents or trades to fill holes unless last resort. Sometimes it is a necessity to sign a talented free agent if for no other reason than a stop-gap measure until someone is developed enough to start.

4. 3rd year coach who can't seem to win games against quality teams. An overall tradition of losing. I combined these two as I think they both relate back to the first question on the list. This is the most important conversation any prospective GM can have with the owner because, as blasphemous as it may sound, there are owners out there who couldn't care less about the team's performance as long as the bottom line is black, and JR may be one of those- and I promise you nobody on this board knows for certain.

#5 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

Stadium that needs renovation factor into the decision? At one time, it was touted as a tool to attract quality free agents, now it's old and stale.

I don't believe so for a GM. If it was Danny Morrison's job, then yes.

#6 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

I don't believe so for a GM. If it was Danny Morrison's job, then yes.

I kind of figured, but what is the current state of the things we don't see? Training facilities, etc.? That's what I'm thinking of here, but I have no idea how they compare to others.

#7 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

No GM worth a damn wants to work with a meddling owner who despite not being a "football guy" makes critical football based decisions.

We cant draw a quality GM for the same reasons the Cowgirls cant and the Raiders couldnt when Al was alive.

#8 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,549 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Like EVERY season the cap situation is being blown out of proportion.

I do think this is an appealing option for a myriad of reasons.

Dream job? Maybe not, but I don't think it would deter many people just because its Carolina.

#9 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

The tradition of losing thing I'm wonder to some extent if its not more of a angry fans fantasy then a reality.

For example teams that we've had more success then over the last 10 years then.

Browns
Jags
Dolphins
Bucs
Falcons
Cowboys
Redskins
Jets - close but we've been to a Super Bowl and they haven't
Bills
Texans
Titans
Broncos
Bengals
Vikings
Raiders
Rams
49ers - sucked till Jim got there
Cardinals - only 1 really good season

Every one of those teams an argument can be made that we have been better then and that's just off the top of my head.

Now if you are talking about just in the last 3-4 years then yes, but I think that could be easily remedied with cutting a few of our over paid vets.

#10 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,821 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

beane our guy?

shut your ***** mouth.

#11 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,140 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

cam newton

luke keuchly

we are one of the most attractive prospects from a personnel perspective based on those two alone.

#12 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I've been thinking that it will either be Arcosi (the guy we brought in to help us find a new GM) or Beane... Perhaps even a combination of the two honestly...

I just find it odd that Arcosi was brought in to consult and has done so for what.. Like 13 weeks now? Who knows the organization better than he and Beane at this point? Arcosi has GM experience... Just a thought

#13 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,452 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

There are only 32 of these jobs in the league. We have a franchise QB in place and an owner that was extremely patient with the previous GM. Some of you guys are such self loathers it's embarrassing. Of course we have a lot to offer GM candidates. Every team that fires a GM is in a state of chaos, that is why they fired their GM. I think other factors come into play here... prospects of winning, quality of life, taxes, and pay. The only legitimate concern is ole JR low balling our guy with a short term deal.

#14 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

No GM worth a damn wants to work with a meddling owner who despite not being a "football guy"

Again, posting these type of things shows your true ignorance!

#15 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I would say it is somewhere in the middle based on appeal. There two major positives are that previous GMs have been given lots of opportunity to suceed and, more importantly, there is a young centerpiece on both sides of the ball to build around. There is a mess with some of the contracts and there are certainly better jobs out there, but it is hardly one that nobody would want.

As far as "an overall tradition of losing" I would have to disagree. We have had a tough couple of years but the franchise has just as many ten win seasons as it has ten loss seasons. Most years are 7-9 or 8-8. I would say we have an overall tradition of mediocrity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.