Photo
- - - - -

Are the Panthers attractive to a GM prospect?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#46 coralreefer_1

coralreefer_1

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Personally, I think this is a great opportunity for a new GM.

Its kind of weak to take a GM job of a team that is ALREADY successful and ALREADY proven. Sure, doing so might be great for his bank account assuming he can maintain the status quo.

But the mark of a TRULY good manager is one that can rise a business up. In this case, that manager can take on the challenge of a team with financial resources (not talking about cap space) and a talented young QB with a handful of up and coming stars (Luke, Hardy, LaFell) that has been performing at a sub-par level and rise it up to something greater.

I dont get much into the GM hunt, names, etc...but I hope we can attract a GM who chooses us based on what they perceive as potential to make a name for themselves, a GM that can get poo done...to rev the car from 40mph to 100mph, rather than a GM that is content to cruise at 70mph. I dont want a GM that makes their decision based on the "safe bet", but one that is willing to challenge this team and themselves to something beyond what we are now.

#47 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,447 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

beane our guy?

shut your ***** mouth.

I think Zod's trolling a little with that last line.

As to the topic, I'll go jeopardy style and answer in the form of a question (two questions, actually).

One: Do we have solid candidates lined up to interview for the job?

The answer to that is yes. Four good candidates confirmed so far, two of whom I'd consider very good, and a few other possibles in John Dorsey and Jim Popp.

Two: Has anyone declined to interview thus far?

The answer to that one is no. That's something the Jets can't say right now. Likewise, Tom Gamble was offered a second interview with the Jags and said "no thanks".

I'd add that by accounts, most of the other GM openings are pretty close to settled (only the Browns are still wide open, if memory serves). So yeah, we're almost the only gig in town right now.

#48 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

"...and in New York you're stuck with Ryan..."

and what, exactly is the difference between Jets owner Woody Johnson announcing Ryan is staying and Panthers owner Jerry Richardson saying Rivera is staying? None...absolutely no difference. Big difference in personalities and possibly a big difference in ownership philosophies, but the bottom line is the same- the owners made a GM-type decision before hiring their next GM.

And what happens if the Jets are willing to pay $2M a year more for a GM than Richardson will? Is someone going to tell me the Panthers job is still more attractive?

Woddy Johnson brought in The Golden Calf of Bristol.. lol

#49 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,341 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

"Gets to keep him if he is successful or can him and bring in another guy when he is ready to make wholesale changes."
Really? Seems to me the owner is making the coaching decisions on this team... at least he's done so with the last 2 coaches.

"Richardson has always let the GM manage the money and players."
And how do you know this to be fact?

"Woddy Johnson brought in The Golden Calf of Bristol.. lol"
How do you know this wasn't the Mike Tannebaum move that got him fired?

Two: Has anyone declined to interview thus far?
The answer to that one is no. That's something the Jets can't say right now. Likewise, Tom Gamble was offered a second interview with the Jags and said "no thanks".
But with this statement comes the biggest disclaimer known to man..."according to sources..."
Nobody knew dick about Rivera's situation until JR issued the press release. What makes you think anything regarding a GM is any different?

#50 Alverez

Alverez

Hold my beer, and check this out!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

If the organization is in the business of only making money and not caring about wins... they they are not good business people.

You have to spend money, to make money, and you have to win to get the followers and get the money from tickets, and merchandise.

Here's hope'n that the puzzle that is putting together an NFL Franchise with staying power comes sooner than later for the Panthers. but saying that JR is only in it to make money... at his age, and health... I see no reasoning behind that.

#51 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,447 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

But with this statement comes the biggest disclaimer known to man..."according to sources..."
Nobody knew dick about Rivera's situation until JR issued the press release. What makes you think anything regarding a GM is any different?

Candidates are reportedly set to start interviewing Monday, likely Gettleman first, then Ross.

The other names have only recently come out, but had they declined, yes we would have heard.

#52 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

we have Cam so yes

#53 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

"Woddy Johnson brought in The Golden Calf of Bristol.. lol"
How do you know this wasn't the Mike Tannebaum move that got him fired?

because playing devil's advocate doesn't disprove the owner had a major say in bringing in a joke for ticket sales...

#54 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,447 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Reports out of New York are that Woody Johnson kept Rex Ryan not because of his ability to win, but because he likes Ryan's bravado, the way he talks to the press, etc.

This is the same owner who said a while back that he'd rather see the presidential election go the way he wanted it to than to see his team win the Super Bowl.

What Panther fans believe Jerry Richardson to be, Woody Johnson actually is.

#55 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,244 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

and how successful has that fanchise been?again the owner should have some say, but so should the GM.

Well, many of the recent Superbowl champs have had GMs who didn't hire the HCs.

#56 CamNewton316

CamNewton316

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

did u ever think since jerry richardson been out of town all this week maybe he whent ask the people he was interviewing if they wanted to keep ron rivera for another year or fire and maybe ask other gm to and based on there answer he decided

#57 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Beane being a secondary prospect and already in house gives him the edge. See loyalty above. All things point to him being our guy.

I agreed with everything you said, except this. However, the reasons I disagree come from assumptions formed beyond the scope of your argument, so the validity of facts that formed my bias are acknowledged to be questionable.

The word on the street: Panthers want a guy with a strong scouting background.
Triple negative: Not hiring Beane does not mean that they are not being loyal to him.
Extensive list of interviews being scheduled: Would we have so many names on our list of candidates to interview and would we have hired Ernie Occorsi (sp?) to retain Beane?
Experience matters: We have a coach with 2 year of experience, young coordinators. Heck, our team President has limited experience in the NFL. Do we really need a rookie GM from Norwood with limited experience in player personnel to be evaluating talent, brokering trades, and working with the cap?
Beane learned what he knows from Marty Hurney, who was fired in October.
Beane scares me to death.

#58 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,516 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Well, many of the recent Superbowl champs have had GMs who didn't hire the HCs.

which ones? Giants, Packers, Steelers, and Saints HC where all hired by teams consisting of the owner but as well as the GM.

#59 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,341 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

"The other names have only recently come out, but had they declined, yes we would have heard."
Knowing this organization as well as you do, how can you say this with any certainty?

Please remember that the only legitimate source for any information is the same guy who claimed not to know who Harbaugh was a couple years ago during the same presser he drew us the pie chart.

Scenario:
JR to Morrison: "Call this guy, this guy, this guy and this guy. See if they'd be interested in a GM job."
Morrison to JR: "Okay, three of the 4 are interested in talking."
JR: "Call 'em back, see when we can get together."

Released: "We're interviewing this guy and this guy."

Bottom line: It serves no purpose to say anything about anyone who declined an interview, and I don't think the front office would do so unless JR told them to. And why would he do that when all it may accomplish is plant a seed of doubt in someone's mind who may be on the interview list. You don't think all these GMs play golf together and talk?

#60 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,244 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

which ones? Giants, Packers, Steelers, and Saints HC where all hired by teams consisting of the owner but as well as the GM.

Those GMs were given a HC. They didn't hire their own guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.