Photo
- - - - -

Are the Panthers attractive to a GM prospect?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#76 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,948 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

You can continue to believe that there's some super secret sneakiness going on if you want to, but there's really nothing to support it.

You're making some pretty strong assumptions and the only point I've been illustrating is nobody knows anything except what JR wants them to know.

I have a hard time understanding why you're so intent on everything being public knowledge, when in reality there is more talking, texting and phone calls going on than you think. Just because every little tidbit isn't out there on some internet message board doesn't mean it's not happening. The ostrich taught us that.

My better half is a COO running a multi-million dollar corporation and has been contacted over the past 12 years by a few dozen companies desiring her leadership. She's declined interviews out of hand and accepted others. But she hasn't necessarily reported every interview she declined to the Board of Directors or anyone else outside of myself for that matter. What purpose does that serve, besides making it appear as though 1) you either don't like it here and you're looking elsewhere or 2) you're trying to wrangle a new contract.

I understand there's probably a world of difference in the 2, but business is business and most savvy business people don't publicly discuss every move they make.

#77 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,982 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

the GM Ernie hired Coughin and won a super bowl. why would Reese come in and fire a super bowl winning coach?how did Cowher get into the convo, besides the guy who replaced him won a super bowl and was hired by the team that consist of the GM. my point is in those organization the GM is apart of the team that fires and hires most coaches. not just the owner.

Your years are off.

Ernie left after the 2006 season.

Reese inherited Couglin for the 2007 season. Couglhin had been on the hot seat. They won the Superbowl in 2007 which was Reese's first year as GM.

Cowher was an example of a coach put on a GM. He wasn't a Superbowl coach then...

Those were just examples involving coaches put on GMs who won Superbowls. Many examples though in general. point is simply, it isn't just a Jerry Jones type move. Yes, GMs often hire coaches....put plenty of times owners put the coach in place and force a new GM to first ride it out with a HC they don't hire.

#78 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 41,533 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

You're making some pretty strong assumptions and the only point I've been illustrating is nobody knows anything except what JR wants them to know.

I have a hard time understanding why you're so intent on everything being public knowledge, when in reality there is more talking, texting and phone calls going on than you think. Just because every little tidbit isn't out there on some internet message board doesn't mean it's not happening. The ostrich taught us that.

Does your better half have an agent?

Richardson isn't the mob boss / illuminati / master manipulator that some make him out to be. People act like he has complete control over what all the press outlets say about the Panthers. He may have some influence in Charlotte, but not much nationally. Heck, even here at home he gets criticized plenty by local guys.

And to be clear, Richardson had zero control over what agents say. Agents are very free with information when it comes to their clients. They tend to be the guys that tip the press when their clients are up for something (if the team doesn't do it themselves).

You might also want to consider that some of the people reporting these things (guys like Albert Breer, Ian Rapoport, etc) work for the NFL. Richardson doesn't have the authority to tell league reporters not to talk about something.

Bottom Line: He likes to keep things quiet, but so do some other teams. Big deal.

#79 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,948 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Does your better half have an agent?
In her particular business, she has the equivalent of an agent, so yes.

With respect to who says what to whom and your other comments, I'll always respect and value your opinions. However, in this case, we'll just have to agree to disagree. My opinions on how JR commands the ship simply differ from yours.

#80 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,644 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Your years are off.

Ernie left after the 2006 season.

Reese inherited Couglin for the 2007 season. Couglhin had been on the hot seat. They won the Superbowl in 2007 which was Reese's first year as GM.

Cowher was an example of a coach put on a GM. He wasn't a Superbowl coach then...

Those were just examples involving coaches put on GMs who won Superbowls. Many examples though in general. point is simply, it isn't just a Jerry Jones type move. Yes, GMs often hire coaches....put plenty of times owners put the coach in place and force a new GM to first ride it out with a HC they don't hire.

and again one of my orginal questions was how many have been successful?not many, just the giants. you said this happens quite a lot but it does not. most of the time it is a team of execs that lead to find the next HC. normally the owner and GM is apart of that team.

#81 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,982 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

and again one of my orginal questions was how many have been successful?not many, just the giants. you said this happens quite a lot but it does not. most of the time it is a team of execs that lead to find the next HC. normally the owner and GM is apart of that team.

My only point was it isn't a Jerry Jones thing....organizations don't do it every time they hire a new GM but it isn't really that unusual of a thing. It isn't something just bad organizations have done.

Depends on how you choose to define a lot. It happens. Normally when teams hire a new GM they do it after a 2010 type season....then I think you legitmately clean house.

Numbers also say, new HC brings in "his" QB with in 3 yrs if he doesn't inhert a Superbowl champ. JR doesn't want to burn this Cam thing down yet IMO

#82 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 41,533 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

In her particular business, she has the equivalent of an agent, so yes.

With respect to who says what to whom and your other comments, I'll always respect and value your opinions. However, in this case, we'll just have to agree to disagree. My opinions on how JR commands the ship simply differ from yours.

Which is fine.

I've had my fair share of issues with how Richardson has run the Panthers. I just think people put way too much stock into his ability to control what the media says. Outside of possibly some of the lesser media in Charlotte, he doesn't really have all that much.

#83 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 17,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

No GM worth a damn wants to work with a meddling owner who despite not being a "football guy" makes critical football based decisions.

We cant draw a quality GM for the same reasons the Cowgirls cant and the Raiders couldnt when Al was alive.

Unlike the few you mentioned, Dan Snyder seems to have learned his lesson.

#84 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 17,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Beane being a secondary prospect and already in house gives him the edge. See loyalty above. All things point to him being our guy.

So continuing to be a second tier franchise and mediocrity is in our future.

#85 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,764 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

If Beane is the GM just hang me please. What was the point of letting Marty go?

#86 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

All GM jobs are attractive for front office employees who aspire to run an NFL team... Some more attractive than others, but those jobs are (for the most part) generally taken by GMs who are currently doing an adequate job... GM opportunities come along at the rate of about 2 (maybe 3) a year, typically to a team in need of fixing...

I'll believe the GM position is unattractive when potential candidates start declining interviews...

As for not wanting to sign FAs, well, we used to be one of the more active teams in Free Agency (see Sean Gilbert, Kevin Greene, Chuck Smith, etc see: History of Carolina Panthers FA Signings) with mixed results... Much of that philosophy changed when Hurney took over... So, I tend to feel it was more a Hurney philosophy as opposed to a Panthers philosophy (or a Richardson philosophy to be specific)... I personally feel Hurney was given a long leash, and chose to attempt to build through the draft, and retain those he deemed as vital... Again, with mixed results...

This year, along with Carolina, NY, Jacksonville, Cleveland, San Diego and Arizona are all looking for GMs... Arguably, none of those teams are in better shape than Carolina currently is...

Carolina's cap situation is disconcerting, yes... However, it's likely that the release or restructure of a handful of players get the team into position to sign draft picks and/or a supporting cast of free agents (no huge splashes this year, sorry)... Gamble, Williams and Beason are all likely to be released/traded/restructured (but we all know this)... Losing those 3 (2 of which did not contribute significantly in any way this season) would not be the kiss of death for this team, and would get the team into position to meet the cap requirements... We all know there will need to be some tough decisions made, but the incoming GM is by no means going to need to blow things up and start over...

So, yes the new GM will have work to do, but I don't believe it's a complete reconstruction project, and certainly not enough to make potential candidates take a pass...

#87 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Richardson played what? 4 years? 4 decades ago? He's much more knowledgeable in foods. I guess Michael Jordan is a bball guy since he is the GOAT. Nevermind he makes horrible decisions and has brought in real execs who understand bball like Brown and Cho. No one thinks Jordan is this great bball exec even despite playing.He's swallowed his pride and removed himself from all bball related decisions. JR isnt smart enough to do this. He thinks he's Rooney, but our results say otherwise. He needs REAL football people in his organization not his old drinking buddies. As a football guy, JR gets you 7-9 at best.

Weren't you Bob Johnson's biggest supporter?

#88 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Weren't you Bob Johnson's biggest supporter?

Very much so. And I still stand by what I said years ago that made you guys gasp. Jerry Richardson is the worst pro owner in Charlotte history. Worse than Shinn, and worse than Bob. Those guys despite their flaws wanted to win and werent in the business of selling losing to their fans. JR has been given a pass for some reason 18 years to do just that.

Building a communications/real estate empire >>>>>>> Building an empire from Hardees

#89 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

What was the bobcats record under Johnson and was that a losing product?

#90 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

What was the bobcats record under Johnson and was that a losing product?

It was, just like the Panthers. The only difference being, Bob was never "comfortable" there. He never tried to justify 30 win seasons or hire people merely to be scapegoats for his ineptitude. He actually hired a HALL OF FAME COACH and gave him complete control of basketball. He hired MJ and gave him complete control of basketball. When he left town, despite all the hate thrown his way, the Bobcats were a playoff team with QUALITY players that have since left town and had more success elsewhere. When JR leaves town/this earth will the Panthers be a playoff team? They dont look like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com