Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Questions about Marc Ross

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#25 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Right, but im sure his scouting reports heavily influence the Giant's draft (if they don't then it seems the Giants don't trust him or respect his opinion... so why should we) and the giants just have too many guys taken in rounds 2-4 who contribute nothing or get cut in a year or two. These are the rounds that we need to capitalize on.

I'd rather have a guy that influences the drafts of say the Packers, Steelers or Ravens.

but still the bucks stop with the GM, he has the final say so.we really dont know who he pushed for or not good or bad.

#26 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

One point that ought to be made regarding Ross, specifically about his youth.

While he is indeed the youngest candidate for the Panthers GM job, he's actually tied for the second most experience working as a scout.

Dave Gettleman - 25 years scouting experience
Marc Ross - 16 years scouting experience
George Paton - 16 years scouting experience
Lake Dawson - 12 years scouting experience

Dawson is actually a few years older than Ross, but hasn't been in the scouting game for quite as long.

The two main criteria the Panthers were said to be looking for in a new GM were someone "up and coming" (i.e. no retreads) and someone with a strong scouting background. Out of that group, only Dave Gettleman has more experience than Ross.

Youth doesn't necessarily equal inexperience.

#27 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

but still the bucks stop with the GM, he has the final say so.we really dont know who he pushed for or not good or bad.

this is true. it is possible Ross suggested players that turned out to be stellar and the GM ignored his recommendation. i won't be displeased with getting Ross as our GM I'd just feel a lot more comfortable with a guy who has shown the ability to build depth throughout a team. We don't need star power, we are littered with enough playmakers - we need guys who are NOT liabilities when we put them on the field.

#28 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Dave Gettleman - 25 years scouting experience
Marc Ross - 16 years scouting experience
George Paton - 16 years scouting experience
Lake Dawson - 12 years scouting experience

Brandon Beane - 0 years scouting experience
12 years Hotels.com booking

#29 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

that is why i just cannot understand how, or why this team would put him into this position.it makes 0 sense.

#30 chknwing

chknwing

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

It might just be me, but wouldnt the best canidate for gm come from a winning team?

#31 MtnJax

MtnJax

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

that is why i just cannot understand how, or why this team would put him into this position.it makes 0 sense.

courtesy interview imo

#32 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

:lol:

In fairness, he did go to that bowl game a couple of weeks ago.

I don't know that they are.

So far all we've really seen is media speculation. The fact that they're bringing in at least four, and possibly six (if you count John Dorsey and Jim Popp) candidates to interview doesn't exactly speak well for his chances.

#33 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

It might just be me, but wouldnt the best canidate for gm come from a winning team?

and why would you even think about promoting from within an organization that has only had 3 winning seasons in the last 12 years and no winning seasons in the last 4 years?

#34 chknwing

chknwing

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

and why would you even think about promoting from within an organization that has only had 3 winning seasons in the last 12 years and no winning seasons in the last 4 years?

are you agreeing or disputing, cant tell

#35 Carolina Mike

Carolina Mike

It's a Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Someone with better understanding of how Front Offices work I have a question.

Would it be to far off to believe that if you get a GM without being a "Cap Guy" we simply go out and find a great "Cap Guy" to go along with the GM? Maybe that is not how it works but seems like would be a good idea. If that is true, who are the best "Cap Guys" out there that would not be a GM and welling to work for the GM candidates we have heard of so far?

#36 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, I don't think we have a realistic shot at Dorsey. Doubt I'll even profile him unless that changes.

Gettleman is still my first choice based on experience, but I'd definitely be happy with Ross.

Whomever winds up as GM, it's vital that we get a good cap guy in to work with them. Our current crop of candidates is all guys with little to no experience at managing the cap.

Given the draft history of Ross, what exactly makes you be 'definitely happy' with him?