32 replies to this topic

#1 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Maybe he was just fishing for a new contract... I doubt it.
He gave every indication, both verbally and through his actions, to demonstrate his desire to come to the NFL.

I believe he felt that there was only one team that could run his offense successfully or rather that there was one QB that could run it!! When the Carolina job didnt come available he decided to not risk his good name by going to another organization. Either way it is gonna be very interesting to see who becomes the next big name to get some interviews.

#2 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,912 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Well, his offers were for the Brandon Weeden Browns and the Brokendown Vick Eagles....why move away from your machine to a NFL team without a QB

#3 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Waiting on Panthers job to open up??

;)

#4 Rocky

Rocky

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

I think the nfl turned down chip kelly

#5 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,380 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

That's 2 years in a row that he's walked away from the NFL.

I doubt that is going to win him any friends in front offices around the league.

#6 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,455 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Dont blame him one bit..

#7 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,455 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

turtle power

#8 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Based on what LaCanfora said, he probably didn't get the combo he wanted of money and control.

The Browns seemed willing to give him the control he wanted, but the Eagles may have offered more money.

May well have tried to leverage one against the other only to have both balk.

#9 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,182 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

He's just waiting for the right opportunity. He wanted Cam and the Panthers, lol.

#10 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

It's awfully homertastic to think that he went back to Oregon specifically because he didn't get our job.

Far more likely that he had more than one place in mind, accepted interviews to drive up demand in case any of those places contacted him, and none did so he went back to the NCAA where he can continue to make himself look better.

Same scenario and all...sorta...but without the homerism.

As far as winning friends in front offices? Meh. If he keeps it up in college he won't need people to like him that much. He'll continue to get interviews (or offers for interviews) for NFL jobs that open up. The man is clearly an intelligent man and he knows his way around an offense. His propensity for punking NFL teams won't prevent people from trying to get him to make the jump.

#11 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,545 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Well, his offers were for the Brandon Weeden Browns and the Brokendown Vick Eagles....why move away from your machine to a NFL team without a QB

guess he would have to start by showing off his drafting ability............

since I heard he wanted to run the entire show

#12 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Based on what LaCanfora said, he probably didn't get the combo he wanted of money and control.

The Browns seemed willing to give him the control he wanted, but the Eagles may have offered more money.

You can keep the pie, Im half sleep and I wanted to click "quote"

Anyways, I think that what LaCanfora said strengthens my argument. Carolina would have been the spot on ideal scenario for what he was asking for. No Gm so there was room for a HC/GM combo title, a highly mobile, durable star QB and an aging potentially desperate owner. I dont know if Chip Kelly would have been better than Ron though. Im just saying. The timing of the Rivera announcement and this announcement is intriguing.

#13 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

It's awfully homertastic to think that he went back to Oregon specifically because he didn't get our job.

Far more likely that he had more than one place in mind, accepted interviews to drive up demand in case any of those places contacted him, and none did so he went back to the NCAA where he can continue to make himself look better.

Same scenario and all...sorta...but without the homerism.

As far as winning friends in front offices? Meh. If he keeps it up in college he won't need people to like him that much. He'll continue to get interviews (or offers for interviews) for NFL jobs that open up. The man is clearly an intelligent man and he knows his way around an offense. His propensity for punking NFL teams won't prevent people from trying to get him to make the jump.

I seriously doubt he has a particular team in mind. It's very homeriffic to think "he just wants us".

There are 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the league. I highly doubt any coach wanting to coach in the NFL would narrow himself to only one place. And most have enough ego to think that the only thing the worst team in the league needs to become champions is...them.

On the topic of ego though, if he's got enough of one to turn down NFL offers two years in a row because they won't give him what he wants, then if I'm a front office guy I stay faaaarrr away from him in the future.

#14 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

I don't blame him. Get stuck in a bad situation, have a couple mediocre years, and you soon go from being the next big thing to the latest retread.

#15 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

He might have looked at the Browns and decided he didn't want any part of coaching there. Holmgren basically did when he declined to install himself as coach and suddenly wasn't sure he was done coaching after he left Cleveland.

Not that anyone knows for sure but I kinda felt like Haslam is not shy about throwing money around and they were preparing to back the trucks up. At least that's what the Browns local guys seemed to be indicating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.