Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Cam just a bad read option QB?

68 posts in this topic

Posted

Washington runs theirs differently than we do.

Cam is more of a power threat and can score in the redzone and get first downs on 3rd and 4th and 1.

RG3 is more of a speed threat and gashes teams to the edge.

Just different styles.

Someone call me when RG3 powers past a big pile of doods for a goal line TD.

Posted

Cam Newton is a great read option QB. Best in the NFL.

Next question. He is the only one built to do it.

The RB play this year was more crap G play w/ no holes than anything in the read option as well as overusage of it.

Posted

I prefer Cam to be under center for at least 75% of the time anyway.

Posted

Our read option early in the year was different than what most other teams are running. The RB and QB were usually nearly standing still when the decision was made to keep or hand off. Other teams have the RB a bit further from the QB or in a pistol set (behind the QB) so they could get a running start. I think this limited it's effectiveness.

Posted

Just shut up on Cam and the read option okay please

Posted

Our read option early in the year was different than what most other teams are running. The RB and QB were usually nearly standing still when the decision was made to keep or hand off. Other teams have the RB a bit further from the QB or in a pistol set (behind the QB) so they could get a running start. I think this limited it's effectiveness.

I think it is more the G play than anything in 2012. A gimp or hurt Stewart factoring as well.

2011 - Read option was appropriately sprinkled in.Result? One of the greatest rush attacks in NFL history.

Posted

No

You're stupid.

Stop posting.

personal attack..

..warn yourself

Posted

personal attack..

..warn yourself

Done

2 people like this

Posted

Done

lmao

YouDaManJesus-thumb-500x435.jpg

Posted

the read option is nothing more than another running play, except instead of just handing the ball off to just one guy regardless of how the defense is set up or what they're doing, the QB reads the D and sees if he or the RB would have more success. thats it.

people make it out to be a bigger deal than what it is. it's not the read option thats the problem.

the reason it hasn't been working isn't because its a "college" play.

ask yourself why any running play doesn't work. predominantly there are two answers.

1) they know you're going to run it and/or

2) you don't have the ability to run it well

for some reason the panther run game has always taken nearly half the season to get going solid. it always takes several weeks for the OL to gel. the first half of this season when we ran the read option the most was during a period in the season that we don't run the ball well anyway. to make if worse, if you don't have an oline prepared or able to adjust quickly to block for who has the ball, you're in trouble. this OL just wasn't ready or able to block for it....just like every year. being a newer mindset/dimension to the blocking scheme didn't help at all.

then there's the predictability. chud didn't run it well. he tried marrying the coryell passing game with the read option run game. when you want to pass, get in one of the usual coryell formations. when you want to run, you get in one of the usual read option formations. see a problem? the defense knew what we were going to do by how we lined up. and we never adjusted. the spirit of jeff davidson possessed chud's body.

to correct it...for starters get the OL gelling and ready earlier. they take it way to easy in the offseason. they don't get nearly enough reps together as a unit because usually they're always dicking around with personnel shifts.

and then, frikkin mix up what you do. run the ball out of non- read option formations and rjn other plays out of read option formations....play action, bubble screens, etc. will all work out of it. and add i more pistol formations. quit drawing an obvious line between your running game and your passing game. try disguising what you do because you're sure not good enough to just impose your will on others even if they know what you're gonna do.

be prepared and be confusing. don't fear the read option. fear being unprepared and predictable.

This is your best thread and I completely agree. First time, lol.

Posted

I really don't care what kind of qb Cam is.... as long as we win games

Posted

Newton is a fine read-option QB.

The read-option is a bad system to run as your base offense in the NFL.

We have better results when we run Newton out of a base Coryell offense not because of problems with the quarterback, but issues with the system at the pro level.