Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PFW Note On Carolina GM Spot

47 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/01/06/insider-brandon-makes-great-hire-in-marrone

[quote]Whoever comes in (as GM) in Carolina is going to want their own head coach. The owner (Jerry Richardson) didn’t want to eat two years on (Ron Rivera‘s) contract. … From everything I hear, (Giants senior pro personnel analyst) Dave Gettlemen is (consultant) Ernie Accorsi‘s guy. Accorsi recommended him for the job in Cleveland when Mike Holmgren took over. (Gettlemen) is not a self-promoter like too many of these (candidates). He’s a meat-and-potatoes, salt-of-the-earth kind of guy. He’ll clean it up fast, and he can work with anyone. You don’t see his name out there a lot or hear about him because he just goes about his business and gets the job done. He’s been a big part of the fabric in the Giants’ front office for a long time. He deserves a shot.[/quote]

Posted · Report post

we obviously need someone who's ego isn't so big he can deal with not picking his own coach. sigh

Posted · Report post

I hope Gettlemen gets his shot here.

Posted · Report post

The more I hear, the more I like Gettleman.
6 people like this

Posted · Report post

Richardson didn't want to eat 2 years of Rivera's contract but he isn't cheap? Makes sense
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Fox007' timestamp='1357576211' post='2082481']
Richardson didn't want to eat 2 years of Rivera's contract but he isn't cheap? Makes sense
[/quote]

It does.

We're setting a situation up to fire him if things don't work out next year and then give Gettleman an opportunity to bring in who he sees fit.

I don't really have a problem with what we're doing. Not an ideal direction but I'm cool with it.

Posted · Report post

guess it took him a full week to count all his pennies to figure out if he could afford to fire rivera or not

Posted · Report post

My guess is that is the writer's opinion on Rivera's contract and Richardson not wanting to eat the last 2 years... To my knowledge Richardson hasn't spoken to anyone in the media regarding not wanting to eat the salary... And I don't know this guy's sources... or even who this guy is...
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Take the not wanting to eat the contract with a grain of salt, since it is an outsider's opinion on what Richardson wanted to do. We all know Richardson hasn't told a damn soul his reasons for anything.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Fox007' timestamp='1357576211' post='2082481']
[/quote]

I hope that was a very small part of the decision making process or he deserves all the criticism he gets.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Are GM candidates starting their interviews in Charlotte today? I thought I read somewhere that Ross and Gettlemen were interviewing with Jerry and co. today.

Posted · Report post

Sports reports are the worst. I wonder who gave him the inside info that JR didn't want to eat Rivera's contract. I love the speculation. I guess giving Rivera one more shot isn't an option.