Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PFW Note On Carolina GM Spot

47 posts in this topic

Posted

Wasn't Fox making 3-5m a year? That's a much bigger commitment that $700k. Also the franchise isn't in mail it in mode. I hope.

Posted

Get 'er done!

Posted

Wasn't Fox making 3-5m a year? That's a much bigger commitment that $700k. Also the franchise isn't in mail it in mode. I hope.

Rivera's on a 4 year deal with a value of $11 million plus. That's a whole lot more than $700,000 a year.

Posted

I don't think the 2 years on the contract was THE factor, but it was a major factor. JR was on the fence, and the idea of paying two coaches is what pushed him over to the "Keep Ronnie" side.

IMO Keeping Rivera will hurt us more down the road rather than next year. I think a headset wearing monkey could get us into the playoffs next year with Cam starting to peak. The problem is Rivera will not be able to take advantage of that peaking team leading to early exits in the playoffs rather than deep runs. We won't be able to take advantage of that window of opportunity.

1 person likes this

Posted

Guys, I brought up this note to point out the good info on Gettleman, not so we can rehash the vagaries of why JR kept Rivera.

I'll take the reporters opinion with a grain of salt on Richardson being cheap, but it isn't that far fetched.

I don't feel like Gettleman is a bad candidate but it also could point to Richardson wanting more of a yes man who keeps his head down and does what he is told.

Gettleman is a quality candidate IMO but I don't want his hiring to be based off the fact that Richardson doesn't want to leave the fate of the HC to a new GM(one who may want to bring in his own guy).

Ross > Rivera/Gettleman IMO.

There are a lot of things we don't know I'm just saying I don't want to miss out on a Ross(for example) because of decisions Richardson already made.

Posted

Again these are direct anonymous quotes from NFL scouts and execs. There's no reporter involved.

1 person likes this

Posted

Rivera will make close to $3m next year

Posted

Richardson didn't want to eat 2 years of Rivera's contract but he isn't cheap? Makes sense

That's really just dot connecting on their part. One of the reasons Richardson didn't fire fox after 2009 was not wanting to pay the third highest salary to a guy not working.

Rivera is working for peanuts comparably and if they hadn't gone on a late season tear he'd be gone, contract be damned.

Posted

PFW with your weekly personality profile... You go girl!

Posted

The Big Cat must think that he is immortal for him to take anything into account except winning now if this theory is true, and unless he knows he had two of the nine lives left that cats have, I just have a hard time believing the suggestive nature of the comments.

Posted

Wasn't that a reason for not firing Fox and having Hurney without a contract? Dont see how it's far-fetched

Posted

I dont buy this we are eliminating GM options with retaining Rivera. Every situation and circumstance has its own characteristics and with this one, I dont think Rivera is given some long leash. Any new GM can see the situation of coming in, start working their majic with the roster, contracts ,etc and they have a coach in place who as it stands right now is probably going to put this team in a better position than a cooridinator or college HC. I prefer a RR next season over the latter. This team BETTER NOT start poorly next season,,, thats all I got to say.