• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,580 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Rivera is staying because the team was headed in the right direction after two years not because some two bit reporter thinks JR is too cheap to fire him.

Based on what Richardson has said and done in the past I'd say that JR is too cheap as his #1 priority is his stock holders.

#17 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Rivera is staying because the team was headed in the right direction after two years not because some two bit reporter thinks JR is too cheap to fire him.

good grief... i guess some people will believe anything, provided it's what they want to believe

#18 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,561 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Isn't Rivera making like $700k a year. I don't buy the Jerry is cheap angle.

#19 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

What do these guys know anyway?

#20 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Those of you indignant about the reporter's comments about JR not wanting to pay 2 coaches are pissed at the wrong person. If you are going to be mad at someone, you should be upset with JR. He brought this all on himself when he publicly announced he didn't want to pay 2 staffs, and for that reason kept Fox longer than he really wanted to.

Why do you think it wasn't a factor this time given JR's past?

#21 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,843 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I think Gettlemen would be a good choice. He has been apart of a very successful organization for some time, that is never a bad thing.

#22 iampantherman

iampantherman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

This I love:

"(Gettlemen) is not a self-promoter like too many of these (candidates). He’s a meat-and-potatoes, salt-of-the-earth kind of guy. He’ll clean it up fast, and he can work with anyone. You don’t see his name out there a lot or hear about him because he just goes about his business and gets the job done."

#23 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 5,162 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Isn't PFW where that article was published about how Cam was a total fake and would be a big bust?

That was more on Nolan Nawrocki, who is a PFW editor, but a few of his colleagues disagreed with him.

#24 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 5,162 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Guys, I brought up this note to point out the good info on Gettleman, not so we can rehash the vagaries of why JR kept Rivera.

#25 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,561 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Wasn't Fox making 3-5m a year? That's a much bigger commitment that $700k. Also the franchise isn't in mail it in mode. I hope.

#26 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,662 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Get 'er done!

#27 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Wasn't Fox making 3-5m a year? That's a much bigger commitment that $700k. Also the franchise isn't in mail it in mode. I hope.

Rivera's on a 4 year deal with a value of $11 million plus. That's a whole lot more than $700,000 a year.

#28 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

I don't think the 2 years on the contract was THE factor, but it was a major factor. JR was on the fence, and the idea of paying two coaches is what pushed him over to the "Keep Ronnie" side.

IMO Keeping Rivera will hurt us more down the road rather than next year. I think a headset wearing monkey could get us into the playoffs next year with Cam starting to peak. The problem is Rivera will not be able to take advantage of that peaking team leading to early exits in the playoffs rather than deep runs. We won't be able to take advantage of that window of opportunity.

#29 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,172 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Guys, I brought up this note to point out the good info on Gettleman, not so we can rehash the vagaries of why JR kept Rivera.

I'll take the reporters opinion with a grain of salt on Richardson being cheap, but it isn't that far fetched.

I don't feel like Gettleman is a bad candidate but it also could point to Richardson wanting more of a yes man who keeps his head down and does what he is told.

Gettleman is a quality candidate IMO but I don't want his hiring to be based off the fact that Richardson doesn't want to leave the fate of the HC to a new GM(one who may want to bring in his own guy).

Ross > Rivera/Gettleman IMO.
There are a lot of things we don't know I'm just saying I don't want to miss out on a Ross(for example) because of decisions Richardson already made.

#30 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Again these are direct anonymous quotes from NFL scouts and execs. There's no reporter involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.