93 replies to this topic

#76 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

The QB shouldn't have showed him up like that, though. Bad move and a leader shouldn't be doing stuff like that.

Jones is probably the #1 leader on that freight train of a team.

McCarron is a pretty boy who just is allowed to sit in the engineers seat and drive that freight train. Let any merely adequate QB sit in that seat and Bama is just fine.

Bama dominates because of all those hosses (Warmack, Jones, Williams, etc) in the trenches.

#77 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yeah this shouldn't be a news flash to anyone. You win games in the trenches.

#78 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,068 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Jones is a stud and have experience playing LT. But I don't want a "6'4" OT. Theres better OTs in the 1st, why reach for a short OT in Jones. Jones will be drafted as a C/OG, not OT.

It wouldn't be fun watching a short OT vs a 6'8 Peppers

I agree that he will likely be drafted as a G/C. What improves his value is his ability to play T at a very high level.

That type if versatile OL is very valuable.

#79 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,204 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I hope you realize that Jordan Gross is "only" 6'4.

You're right. But in this new form of the NFL, this breed of players are changing at a way that no one has ever seen before. Prospects today are coming out bigger and stronger than 10 yrs ago. Players are coming in ready to impact the game in a whole different way.

Just go back in look at the last previous drafts. OTs are coming out no less than 6'5-6'6. This is a new breed of players playing the position. "You'll never be able to find another 6'4 OT draft in the top 10 again". I gurantee it. High school prospects that come in being around 6'4 will most and certainty be convert into a Center or Guard in college. Jordan Gross is the last of the small OT you'll find in today NFL. Just look at the QB and WR position. The kind of QB everyone is dying for these days are that 6'5-6'6 QB (Cam); not every team has one but that's the type of QB a top5 team is looking to pick. Every GM wants that 6'3 receiver nowadays. Today's pass rushers are standing tall that you got to have these 6'5" up guys blocking them.

The top3 OTs: Jockel 6'6", Lewan 6'8", Fisher 6'8". This tell you exactly how the game has change in just a decade.

#80 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

With a franchise QB in place and given all the injuries on the OL this past season...if the Panthers don't draft offensive line in the 1st and/or 2nd round, I'd be shocked. You've gotta protect the QB.

I like the idea of trading back and grabbing a guard, getting back a 3rd rounder. But hey, in 2007, trading back from 14 netted the Panthers a 2nd so...we'll see.

#81 jungleking

jungleking

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

He's had three separate foot/ankle injuries in his time at Bama. For all his intelligence and technique, he can't make an impact if he can't stay on the field.

#82 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,204 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

He's had three separate foot/ankle injuries in his time at Bama. For all his intelligence and technique, he can't make an impact if he can't stay on the field.

Well he played through his time at college. What makes you think he can't play through it in the pros. It's not going to be a major issue.

#83 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,345 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Meh

#84 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,128 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

You're right. But in this new form of the NFL, this breed of players are changing at a way that no one has ever seen before. Prospects today are coming out bigger and stronger than 10 yrs ago. Players are coming in ready to impact the game in a whole different way.

Just go back in look at the last previous drafts. OTs are coming out no less than 6'5-6'6. This is a new breed of players playing the position. "You'll never be able to find another 6'4 OT draft in the top 10 again". I gurantee it. High school prospects that come in being around 6'4 will most and certainty be convert into a Center or Guard in college. Jordan Gross is the last of the small OT you'll find in today NFL. Just look at the QB and WR position. The kind of QB everyone is dying for these days are that 6'5-6'6 QB (Cam); not every team has one but that's the type of QB a top5 team is looking to pick. Every GM wants that 6'3 receiver nowadays. Today's pass rushers are standing tall that you got to have these 6'5" up guys blocking them.

The top3 OTs: Jockel 6'6", Lewan 6'8", Fisher 6'8".

jason peters is 6'4...but yeah you are right most lt are 6'6 and up.

#85 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Warmack then Fluker, that'll be a powerful right side of the line

#86 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,204 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

jason peters is 6'4...but yeah you are right most lt are 6'6 and up.

Yea but Peters was drafted in 04' and Gross in 03'. You can google up and theres probably more guys then just Gross and Peters. What I'm saying is with this new breed of players coming into College and the NFL, the game has been taking to another level of competition. I don't think you'll ever find another 6'4 OT being a top 5-10 pick anymore.

Guys are bigger now and you have college DEs standing 6'4+. College teams are looking for taller OTs to compete with those guys. 6'4 OTs are getting move inside to G or C now in college.

#87 jungleking

jungleking

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Well he played through his time at college. What makes you think he can't play through it in the pros. It's not going to be a major issue.

What makes me think that a 300 pound man with a history of foot and ankle problems might have trouble staying healthy for ten years in the pros? Come on, now.

#88 DoubleTrouble34

DoubleTrouble34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Barrett Jones is nothing more than a position blocker. He will be average at best in the nfl.

#89 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Warmack then Fluker, that'll be a powerful right side of the line

i could get behind this....

and score a TD myself.

not a fan of drafting OG in the first. not loving the idea of drafting two OL in the first couple rounds. not a fan of how it would look to have so much inexperience on the OL for another year.

but this idea does make me think it might be worth it.

#90 jungleking

jungleking

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

i could get behind this....

and score a TD myself.

not a fan of drafting OG in the first. not loving the idea of drafting two OL in the first couple rounds. not a fan of how it would look to have so much inexperience on the OL for another year.

but this idea does make me think it might be worth it.

More and more, succeeding in the NFL is about building an identity. The parity is so great that building a dominant team is a pipe dream, and teams are looking to define themselves by one aspect or another.

The problem with Warmack, though, is that you don't win a Super Bowl in today's NFL by investing heavily in a QB and his interior linemen. That would be 2 firsts and 2 seconds spent on those four positions. Does that make sense?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.