Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flags and stuff

80 posts in this topic

Posted

so i've spent some time in rural nc over the past few weeks and i've encountered relics of the past that appear to be displays of explicit support for a foreign government guilty of perpetuating a hateful institution. however, some people are quick to say that flying the flag of a hateful regime is really a display of "heritage," rather than "hate"; that it is a nod to one's forefathers, rather than the countless lives destroyed. my question is as follows: is it reasonable to display a nazi flag while distancing oneself from the atrocities commonly associated with nazism?

tyXgF.jpg

oh and i guess you can talk about the confederacy too

Posted

usually waved around by idiots that are attention whoring more than anything. it basically means PLEASE DEBATE ME OVER STUPID SHÏT. subtle racism is some kind of cute game to them.

inb4ihaveblackfriends

inb4thewarwasn'taboutslavery

Posted

flag-american-3x5-nylon.jpg

Far many atrocities have been committed in the name of this flag.

1 person likes this

Posted

Couldn't have bumped this?

or this?

and I believe cat has already made the point for you...

Posted

usually waved around by idiots that are attention whoring more than anything. it basically means PLEASE DEBATE ME OVER STUPID SHÏT. subtle racism is some kind of cute game to them.

inb4ihaveblackfriends

Therein lies the sole purpose of the tinderbox.

1 person likes this

Posted

I still maintain that arguing over symbols and how much hate is or isn't magically contained therein has to be one of the dumbest ways to spend one's time.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have to admit that I have never seen anyone in any part of rural nc displaying a Nazi flag.

I'm not saying that there isn't someone out there doing it, just that I haven't seen it.

If this is really just a half assed attempt at equating the Confederacy to racism, then I just have to say I expect better from you, homey.

I'm more offended by the Tea Party adopting the Gadsden flag than I am anyone flying the stars and bars. If you want to have a flag symbolism discussion, we could start there.

Like CoW said, the US flag symbolizes a lot more negative than the Confederate one.

Posted

I still maintain that arguing over symbols and how much hate is or isn't magically contained therein has to be one of the dumbest ways to spend one's time.

then you vastly underestimate the power of nuanced interpretive symbolism in today's image-driven society

Posted

it is powerful, but completely manufactured.

It's logically null.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well.....

Posted

Back when the Southern states wrote their Declarations of Succession, the word "Slavery" actually meant "States Rights". The meaning has changed since.

That's why even though they expressly wrote that they were succeeding to preserve Slavery, they really were talking about States Rights.

You just need to learn your history.

Posted

A thread dedicated to country folk who aren't literate enough to join the debate and give their side?

Wait Sheikh Zula already did