79 replies to this topic

#1 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

so i've spent some time in rural nc over the past few weeks and i've encountered relics of the past that appear to be displays of explicit support for a foreign government guilty of perpetuating a hateful institution. however, some people are quick to say that flying the flag of a hateful regime is really a display of "heritage," rather than "hate"; that it is a nod to one's forefathers, rather than the countless lives destroyed. my question is as follows: is it reasonable to display a nazi flag while distancing oneself from the atrocities commonly associated with nazism?

Posted Image

oh and i guess you can talk about the confederacy too

#2 SZ James

SZ James

1 888 CAM PAIN

• HUDDLER
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

usually waved around by idiots that are attention whoring more than anything. it basically means PLEASE DEBATE ME OVER STUPID SHÏT. subtle racism is some kind of cute game to them.

inb4ihaveblackfriends
inb4thewarwasn'taboutslavery

#3 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,332 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Posted Image

Far many atrocities have been committed in the name of this flag.

#4 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,604 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

Couldn't have bumped this?

http://www.carolinah.../page__hl__flag

or this?

http://www.carolinah...uthern-culture/

and I believe cat has already made the point for you...

http://www.carolinah...20#entry1808760

#5 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

usually waved around by idiots that are attention whoring more than anything. it basically means PLEASE DEBATE ME OVER STUPID SHÏT. subtle racism is some kind of cute game to them.

inb4ihaveblackfriends

Therein lies the sole purpose of the tinderbox.

#6 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,554 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

I still maintain that arguing over symbols and how much hate is or isn't magically contained therein has to be one of the dumbest ways to spend one's time.

#7 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

I have to admit that I have never seen anyone in any part of rural nc displaying a Nazi flag.

I'm not saying that there isn't someone out there doing it, just that I haven't seen it.

If this is really just a half assed attempt at equating the Confederacy to racism, then I just have to say I expect better from you, homey.

I'm more offended by the Tea Party adopting the Gadsden flag than I am anyone flying the stars and bars. If you want to have a flag symbolism discussion, we could start there.

Like CoW said, the US flag symbolizes a lot more negative than the Confederate one.

#8 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,762 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I still maintain that arguing over symbols and how much hate is or isn't magically contained therein has to be one of the dumbest ways to spend one's time.

then you vastly underestimate the power of nuanced interpretive symbolism in today's image-driven society

#9 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,554 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

it is powerful, but completely manufactured.

It's logically null.

#10 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,336 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Well.....

#11 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Back when the Southern states wrote their Declarations of Succession, the word "Slavery" actually meant "States Rights". The meaning has changed since.

That's why even though they expressly wrote that they were succeeding to preserve Slavery, they really were talking about States Rights.

You just need to learn your history.

#12 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,390 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

A thread dedicated to country folk who aren't literate enough to join the debate and give their side?

Wait Sheikh Zula already did

#13 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

NC secession was not due to slavery, and I've demonstrated that in the past threads biscuit posted under other monikers...

Therefore, if I ever have the desire to purchase and fly a stars and bars flag in honor of my non-slaveholding NC confederate soldier ancestors, then I feel no remorse in doing so...

#14 Cage

Cage

Killer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationHustlin' in the streets

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Well.....

Seriously? Have you read any of the Declarations of Secession? They all mention the god given right for Whites to own Africans. The Civil War was about preserving an institution that the South was economically dependent on. After the war the same institution essentially continued in the form of sharecropping. The "Stars and Bars" can and should be compared to the Nazi flag because people who supported both destroyed the lives of millions. It is no accident that in the present day the "rebel flag" is one of the flags often used by white power groups....one other flags they like are all variations of some sort of Nazi flag.

*I was wrong about how all the declarations of secession mentioned slavery, but anybody who honestly thinks that the Civil War was not about money (ie the South protecting an institution that kept powerful southerners rich and comfortable) is an idiot. Your ancestors were scum (scum that lost); Get over it and stop romanticizing it.

#15 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,197 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Seriously? Have you read any of the Declarations of Secession? They all mention the god given right for Whites to own Africans. The Civil War was about preserving an institution that the South was economically dependent on. After the war the same institution essentially continued in the form of sharecropping. The "Stars and Bars" can and should be compared to the Nazi flag because people who supported both destroyed the lives of millions. It is no accident that in the present day the "rebel flag" is one of the flags often used by white power groups....one other flags they like are all variations of some sort of Nazi flag.

Many people who bring "God" into a conversation and tout they he gave them certain rights, will certainly be surprised someday. In general, they have copped out and cannot sustain a normal logical argumement and have to fall on the God given thing.

My take on the whole slavery thing was that the South valued money/commerce way more than the morals they espoused. You would have to sear your conscience repeatedly to desensitize yourself to the cruelty. God, in my opinion, is not in that business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.