Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flags and stuff

80 posts in this topic

Posted

The entire continental army, signers of the deceleration of independence and their supporters were traitors as well.

But that's cool.....

Posted

America is really a country of traitors.

Posted

All of my direct relatives who fought, fought for the CSA.

That being said, the Confederacy was a dark part of our history, and nothing to be proud of. We ignorantly fought to preserve a way of life that involved the systematic enslavement, torture, and rape of an entire group of human beings. There are people who will try and deny for the same reason people deny the Holocaust or the Rape of Nanking, but there's too much evidence otherwise. To deny it is revisionist history.

We, as Southerners, should be able to look honestly at our past. Was the North some great white horse riding in to save black people? No, of course not. Were the majority of Southern ground troops fighting directly for slavery? Not directly, no. But at the end of the day, our reason for war was terrible, and is nothing to be celebrated.

Posted

All of my direct relatives who fought, fought for the CSA.

That being said, the Confederacy was a dark part of our history, and nothing to be proud of. We ignorantly fought to preserve a way of life that involved the systematic enslavement, torture, and rape of an entire group of human beings. There are people who will try and deny for the same reason people deny the Holocaust or the Rape of Nanking, but there's too much evidence otherwise. To deny it is revisionist history.

We, as Southerners, should be able to look honestly at our past. Was the North some great white horse riding in to save black people? No, of course not. Were the majority of Southern ground troops fighting directly for slavery? Not directly, no. But at the end of the day, our reason for war was terrible, and is nothing to be celebrated.

But you have no problem being a modern American knowing we forced an entire population and race of indigenous people into small little tracts of land and took everything else they had?

Yeah man I see how you're so much better...

Posted

Where did I say I had a problem being a modern Southerner?

Posted

Also do not forget the systematic genocide of the Vampires at the hands of Lincoln...

Posted

Where did I say I had a problem being a modern Southerner?

I just don't see the validity of the argument about how Southerners were so bad back then while not taking today's standards into account and affirming the same observations.

Basically, the crux of the argument here boils down to "the South was sucky, they lost, and you suck if you fly their flag" vs. a desire to explore the multitude of reasons why said statements may or may not be true.

Posted

The US never said "We are declaring Independence so we can continue to kill Indians".

While bad things were done under the US flag to further US interests, that country/flag wasn't formed expressly to do these bad things. The Confederate Flag/Nation was created to ensure the existence of slavery . We know this because, well, they actually came out and said so, there's no "gray area" here.

If you can't see a difference between those two things, well, ok.

Posted

The US never said "We are declaring Independence so we can continue to kill Indians".

While bad things were done under the US flag to further US interests, that country/flag wasn't formed expressly to do these bad things. The Confederate Flag/Nation was created to ensure the existence of slavery . We know this because, well, they actually came out and said so, there's no "gray area" here.

If you can't see a difference between those two things, well, ok.

I still maintain that NC did not.

They were responding to Northern aggression because they had no other choice.

Posted

so can i be disgusted by people who fly nazi flags or should i respect their heritage or whatever because none of these replies really cleared that part up for me

Posted

Flags Schamgs

It is not so much a southern thing as a human nature thing. Again, money had a lot to do with it. It is not like the almighty federal government did the red man any favors either. But, they saw money and overrode any sort of moral high ground and made the dough at the detriment of the Indian nations.

Posted

The head of the NC Succession Committees were all slave owners, but sure.