79 replies to this topic

#31 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Where did I say I had a problem being a modern Southerner?

I just don't see the validity of the argument about how Southerners were so bad back then while not taking today's standards into account and affirming the same observations.

Basically, the crux of the argument here boils down to "the South was sucky, they lost, and you suck if you fly their flag" vs. a desire to explore the multitude of reasons why said statements may or may not be true.

#32 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

The US never said "We are declaring Independence so we can continue to kill Indians".

While bad things were done under the US flag to further US interests, that country/flag wasn't formed expressly to do these bad things. The Confederate Flag/Nation was created to ensure the existence of slavery . We know this because, well, they actually came out and said so, there's no "gray area" here.

If you can't see a difference between those two things, well, ok.

#33 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

The US never said "We are declaring Independence so we can continue to kill Indians".

While bad things were done under the US flag to further US interests, that country/flag wasn't formed expressly to do these bad things. The Confederate Flag/Nation was created to ensure the existence of slavery . We know this because, well, they actually came out and said so, there's no "gray area" here.

If you can't see a difference between those two things, well, ok.

I still maintain that NC did not.

They were responding to Northern aggression because they had no other choice.

#34 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

so can i be disgusted by people who fly nazi flags or should i respect their heritage or whatever because none of these replies really cleared that part up for me

#35 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Flags Schamgs

It is not so much a southern thing as a human nature thing. Again, money had a lot to do with it. It is not like the almighty federal government did the red man any favors either. But, they saw money and overrode any sort of moral high ground and made the dough at the detriment of the Indian nations.

#36 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

The head of the NC Succession Committees were all slave owners, but sure.

#37 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

so can i be disgusted by people who fly nazi flags or should i respect their heritage or whatever because none of these replies really cleared that part up for me

I'd love to actually see someone try it and get away with it very long...

Feel free to be disgusted all you want, but it really is just a piece of cloth. They stole the swastika anyways.

I can't really say I know anyone who celebrates Nazi heritage in the US.

People use the symbolism for other things, sure. But a celebration of heritage? Meh, that would take some convincing.

#38 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,481 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

God hates flags.

#39 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

The head of the NC Succession Committees were all slave owners, but sure.

Don't make me call Jase on you to correct that...

But yeah, it would make sense that people pushing hard for secession were slave owners...

The trouble with the argument you're making is that they were in the vast majority in their views until NC was basically surrounded by states detached from the union... What else were they to do other than remove themselves from the republic also?

#40 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

There were those in Western NC that were more Pro Union much like in West Virginia. so if you're referring to those guys, sure. Their presence in state made it a little more hesitant to secede (where as in Virginia, the West just made themselves into a new state), but that doesn't mean that those in the center and east who gained from slavery weren't just as keen to keep slavery up and running as those in other states.

#41 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

People use the symbolism for other things, sure. But a celebration of heritage? Meh, that would take some convincing.

why?

#42 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

React however you see fit. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that most flag flyers fly their flags because they know it pisses people off. if you think people who fly the flags are edumacated enough to know it's meaning, then you're giving them far too much credit.

#43 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

why?

Really because I don't really know how to define a modern celebration of Nazi culture, other than the obvious open racism/feeling of racial superiority and far far right views.

I don't consider racism/feeling racially superior and having one-sided views a heritage.

#44 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Really because I don't really know how to define a modern celebration of Nazi culture, other than the obvious open racism/feeling of racial superiority and far far right views.

I don't consider racism/feeling racially superior and having one-sided views a heritage.

Really because I don't really know how to define a modern celebration of Nazi Confederate culture, other than the obvious open racism/feeling of racial superiority and far far right views.

#45 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Really because I don't really know how to define a modern celebration of Nazi Confederate culture, other than the obvious open racism/feeling of racial superiority and far far right views.

lol okay...

I didn't know Confederates were responsible for the systematic genocide of millions upon millions of people based solely on their race... but nice try...

Somehow I knew you were going to go there, and you're being terribly naive... or at the very least, ignorant...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com