• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,977 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

Last night was yet another reason why the BCS-money-making system only hurts the game. I was actually pulling for the Irish last night, as I've always been a ND fan to some degree, but what happened was exactly what I feared would happen.

Without a playoff, there is no way to truly gauge whether a team is worthy of being in the national championship game or not. That was embarrassing for college football.

#2 sharkkiller

sharkkiller

Inconceivable

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationSanto Domingo

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

The only problem with a playoff in the current CFB climate, is that year after year, you would probably end up with a repeat of the SEC Championship for the National title.

It just seems that the SEC is that dominant right now.

#3 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,977 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

The only problem with a playoff in the current CFB climate, is that year after year, you would probably end up with a repeat of the SEC Championship for the National title.

Meh, if I understand the proposal right, I'm assuming that's not the case. In the playoff format, everything through the regular season would be the same. Conferences would play their championship games, then the bowl season starts. I think they said it would be the top 4 ranked teams in a playoff. So, if that happened, you get a team like Oregon in there that could at least challenge the SEC teams athletically.

ND may get the athletes to do so in years to come, but last night, NO.

It's likely you could get 2 SEC teams in the 4 team playoff, but I'll gladly deal with that if the other two teams are any challenge to them.

#4 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,444 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Notre Dame simply put on display just how, once again, overrated they were. The reality is they should have lost to Stanford had the referees even reviewed the final play of the game when Stanford crossed the plane and scored and they had to go to overtime to win a couple other close ones.

Florida, Oregon and possibly even Texas A&M would have been better games than last night, which I turned off at halftime and went to bed.

#5 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

The SEC is not that dominate. They are the second or third best conference right now.

A dominate conference does not continuously struggle from top to bottom to beat Sun Belt and WAC teams.

PAC-12 is a better conference and the Big 12 may not be as good up top but is a much deeper conference.

#6 sharkkiller

sharkkiller

Inconceivable

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationSanto Domingo

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

The SEC is not that dominate. They are the second or third best conference right now.

A dominate conference does not continuously struggle from top to bottom to beat Sun Belt and WAC teams.

PAC-12 is a better conference and the Big 12 may not be as good up top but is a much deeper conference.

I agree that top to bottom the SEC is not as strong as it has been in the past, but I think the issue is that the teams at the top really are that dominant. Alabama year in and year out, Georgia, and LSU are typically strong (although LSU ran into a buzz saw in an angry Clemson team), and now even South Carolina are all strong enough to beat pretty much any team in the country.

If you have 4 teams, and there are 2 SEC teams, which there would have been this year, and they do not play each other.....I would think they would be playing for the National Championship.

#7 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Oregon would not have challenged Alabama. They are much to small up front. Just look what happened when they played the most physical defense they faced all year (Stanford). Would have gotten pushed all over the place....

#8 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

I agree that top to bottom the SEC is not as strong as it has been in the past, but I think the issue is that the teams at the top really are that dominant. Alabama year in and year out, Georgia, and LSU are typically strong (although LSU ran into a buzz saw in an angry Clemson team), and now even South Carolina are all strong enough to beat pretty much any team in the country.

If you have 4 teams, and there are 2 SEC teams, which there would have been this year, and they do not play each other.....I would think they would be playing for the National Championship.

:lol:

#9 sharkkiller

sharkkiller

Inconceivable

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationSanto Domingo

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

:lol:

The point is, in a playoff, you only have to be concerned with the top teams. How weak the bottom teams are is irrelevant. And the top teams in the SEC are better than the top teams in the other conferences.

#10 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,199 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

The point is, in a playoff, you only have to be concerned with the top teams. How weak the bottom teams are is irrelevant. And the top teams in the SEC are better than the top teams in the other conferences.

The laugh was for the idea that South Carolina is a strong enough team to beat "pretty much any team in the country"....

#11 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Oregon would not have challenged Alabama. They are much to small up front. Just look what happened when they played the most physical defense they faced all year (Stanford). Would have gotten pushed all over the place....

I don't really disagree with you but it is all about match ups. Last year was an even better example.

I was convinced that LSU would have beaten OK State but lost to Stanford if they played last year. Same deal last year, I thought the Big 12 and Pac-12 were better overall conferences than the SEC last year also.

#12 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

No matter how you look at it, i'd put ga, tex a & m, or bama up against anybody in the nation. If notre dame wants to challenge an sec team, better start with kentucky and move your way up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com