#31 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,498 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hello Mr Scot - Can you just briefly explain to me what the key jobs are for a GM? There are lots of different roles within an organisation and i'm not entirely sure who does what.

I'll give you what I know.

The GM's primary job is personnel evaluation, deciding who's worth drafting, who's worth signing in free agency, which players currently on the team deserve contract extensions (for how long and how much)...essentially acquiring the "groceries" as Bill Parcells put it that the head coach uses to set his roster.

Most GMs these days oversee the cap as well, though often it's with the assistance of a cap manager (someone with strong accounting skills). It's tough to find one guy who's great at both scouting and accounting, so generally the GM sits down with the cap guy to work things out. The GM might say what he thinks a certain player is worth, to which the cap guy replies with what the team can afford.

Although the general structure might vary somewhat from team to team, in most cases the GM's desk is where the proverbial buck stops. He oversees everything related to the football side of things, including stuff like the hiring and firing of front office people (and sometimes coaches) and oversight of the scouting departments, the ones responsible for gathering the information that the GM uses to make his player decisions.

So yeah, overall it's a really big (and extremely difficult) job.

Hope that helps.

#32 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Props to the op for posting this.

We dont all live in the confines of Charlotte .

I live in Southern California, but you're welcome.

#33 jgraham

jgraham

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'll give you what I know.

The GM's primary job is personnel evaluation, deciding who's worth drafting, who's worth signing in free agency, which players currently on the team deserve contract extensions (for how long and how much)...essentially acquiring the "groceries" as Bill Parcells put it that the head coach uses to set his roster.

Most GMs these days oversee the cap as well, though often it's with the assistance of a cap manager (someone with strong accounting skills). It's tough to find one guy who's great at both scouting and accounting, so generally the GM sits down with the cap guy to work things out. The GM might say what he thinks a certain player is worth, to which the cap guy replies with what the team can afford.

Although the general structure might vary somewhat from team to team, in most cases the GM's desk is where the proverbial buck stops. He oversees everything related to the football side of things, including stuff like the hiring and firing of front office people (and sometimes coaches) and oversight of the scouting departments, the ones responsible for gathering the information that the GM uses to make his player decisions.

So yeah, overall it's a really big (and extremely difficult) job.

Hope that helps.

It does - Thank you. I did wonder when the Hurney guy got the boot what effect that would have at the time because I couldn't see what impact it had if any on the current on field performance.

I think the grocery shopping analogy makes perfect sense - he does the shopping and leaves the coaches to make the best out of what they are given.

My background is football (soccer) and ruby league so for me Its a case of having one man calling the shots when it comes to pretty much every aspect of the club - transfers, selection, coaching so getting my head around an NFL setup is a bit tricky!

#34 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I want Gettleman.

He has a pedigree and knows what it takes to be in the big game across a couple different eras.

#35 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,294 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm being interviewed tomorrow

#36 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,447 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

The fuging Beane...

#37 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,447 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I live in Southern California, but you're welcome.

#38 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • 2,044 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

im sure no one on the huddle ever goes to the charlotte observer website, like ever.

I don't any more, not since they want $$ to read the rag. We don't all have the extra bucks for such things.

I'm counting on the Huddle to come through with news.

Thank you, Bwood!

#39 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ross is young, but not inexperienced.

Of the candidates we have, he's tied for the second most NFL scouting experience (16 years, same as Paton, behind only Gettleman who's been at it for 25 years).

My ideal situation would be to hire Gettleman for the job now but also hire his eventual successor at the same time, putting him in a position like Director of Player Personnel or some such (something we don't have right now).

Have said before that I'd absolutely love to get both Gettleman as the GM of the present and Ross as his heir apparent, but that's a pipe dream.

IMO, that's the position Beane's really interviewing for...whether he realizes it or not.

#40 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,635 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I'm being interviewed tomorrow

i was interviewed last week.

and by interviewed i mean i sent in my application for the job 37 times (or probably twice that amount, tbh) and they sent team security to my house to talk to me and ask/tazer me to not do it anymore.

i think they're just playing hardball in the negotiation game so i've stepped up what i'm doing. i'm sure it will work. don't worry, the team will be safe in my hands. i've got over 20k posts in here and i'm pretty sure that makes me among the most qualified.

#41 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,498 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

i was interviewed last week.

and by interviewed i mean i sent in my application for the job 37 times (or probably twice that amount, tbh) and they sent team security to my house to talk to me and ask/tazer me to not do it anymore.

i think they're just playing hardball in the negotiation game so i've stepped up what i'm doing. i'm sure it will work. don't worry, the team will be safe in my hands. i've got over 20k posts in here and i'm pretty sure that makes me among the most qualified.

Good strategy.

Best of luck. If you get the job, remember I was always your friend.

#42 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,289 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm almost at the point where I don't even care who gets hired as long as it isn't Beane.

#43 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,635 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Good strategy.

Best of luck. If you get the job, remember I was always your friend.

Posted Image

#44 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Posted Image

is that Traphik

#45 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,676 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

1a Ross
1b Gettleman

Any others I haven't researched so if they pick them I'll be a Falcons fan instead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com