Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would be wrong with "smart gun" legislation?

32 posts in this topic

Posted

As a libertarian I don't like government restrictions on guns.

But what about legislation that would require all guns sold in the US to have smart gun technology. This technology would only allow the gun to be shot by the intended user or users via computer chip. The gun could also be remotely disabled.

Would gun proponents have a problem with this?

Posted

Uh yeah. First of computers fail. Secondly who is in charge of remotely disabling them, the government? I'll pass.

Posted

Uh yeah. First of computers fail. Secondly who is in charge of remotely disabling them, the government? I'll pass.

You would need reliable technology but that shouldn't be an issue. We have it in other devices.

No the government would not be in charge.

Posted

I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to control when a firearm operates. One executive order and all guns are useless.

Posted

Such tech would be way to finicky and open to hacking.

Posted

Hint: Anything other than "let CatofWar have any gun he wants whenever he wants it without restriction" will be systematically shot down.

Posted

Hint: delhommey is a troll.

Posted

Such tech would be way to finicky and open to hacking.

We have versions of this technology in other items. There is no reason you couldn't have reliable technology in guns.

My question isn't whether we can design the technology, my question is assuming we can what would be the downside to requiring it.

Posted

I'll pass, thanks.

The key here is deeper background checks into the buyer/owners of the guns, not the guns themselves.

Posted

We have versions of this technology in other items. There is no reason you couldn't have reliable technology in guns.

My question isn't whether we can design the technology, my question is assuming we can what would be the downside to requiring it.

Then my second reason would be giving power to my firearms to another source.

If it's in my hand and I need to pull the trigger that should be the end of it.

IMO, it would hinder my control of the weapon.

Now if you are talking about some fancy fingerprint activation system, I might could get on board for that. I would fear, however, that it would price many out of the ability to purchase even a basic firearm.

Posted

If it makes it more safe for everyone, who cares about the price?

Posted

Now if you are talking about some fancy fingerprint activation system, I might could get on board for that. I would fear, however, that it would price many out of the ability to purchase even a basic firearm.

So if it was not price prohibitive you would be OK with it?

The issue gun rights folks have is that it could ruin the secondary market/ private gun shows.