Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2012 The Hottest Year on Record...

62 posts in this topic

Posted

please read your articles. then, explain what you think they mean

Re-read previous long post. Already summarized.

I can explain it to you. I can't understand it for you.

Posted

Come on guys, quit arguing! Don't you know there will be half a billion climate refugees by 2010, and Arctic summers will be ice free by 2012? We don't have time for bickering.

Posted

Re-read previous long post. Already summarized.

I can explain it to you. I can't understand it for you.

This is the evidence in its totality. What has been spoon fed to us over the past 2 decades is that we are killing ourselves due to our collective carbon footprint.

When I dare to crtically think and research the issue, it stands to reason that such a conclusion is FAR from a slam dunk like it has been claimed. No one is disputing that that the earth is warming. The dispute (and a reasonable one at that) is whether people have the significant effect that the current craze is claiming. Looking at the big picture, our existence is barely a blip, and it is frankly quite arrogant to attribute such powers in the face of relatively small windows of relative time.

Take a look at what the scientific community KNEW a hundred years ago and see how that stacks up to today. Turns out, we weren't as right as we thought we were. I expect that our track record will continue with what we "know" today.

The scientific method works because the methodology is predicated upon an experiment bearing out results. We formulate an understanding according to the paradigm and then test it. When we find enough anomalies to refute it, the paradigm shifts to something else that works for us. It doesn't necessarily mean that we understand anything better... we just know more about our environment and how to manipulate it to the ends that we seek.

That said, there is better evidence that global climate is affected by solar activity, oceanic activity, and volcanic activity than what mankind has created in the totality of its history. Just because Tom Brokaw says that New York City will be underwater by 2010 on the authority of the leading voices of the global alarmist community doesn't mean that it's true.

i have highlighted your "summary" of the literature on "solar variation." as you will see, nothing is highlighted.

if you had actually read some of those articles (aside from the ones that are incredibly dated), you would have found that the vast majority of climate change cannot be attributed to "solar variation." here are some studies that were actually performed this century which i'm assuming you already plan to ignore:

http://thingsbreak.f...rgy-balance.pdf

The individual contributions to the observed temperature

increase of about 0:55 C since the 1950s are illustrated in Fig. 3c.

Our total estimate of 0:51 C (0:450:57 C) is close to the

observed temperature change. The largest positive contribution

of 0:85 C (0:571:13 C) is from greenhouse gases and compares

well with the values estimated by optimal fingerprint studies5,6,20

(see Supplementary Information). Expressed as a fraction of

the total warming, greenhouse gases contributed 166% (120

215%). The net cooling from the direct and indirect aerosol

forcing is

Posted

All_palaeotemps.png

Sorry I couldn't get one drawn by hand.

Posted

GS..... Apparently you are comfortable with willful ignorance. Your case is terminal.

Del.... Great use of a logarithmic scale to visually skew your graph. You'd have done better with something hand drawn for a truthful representation if that was your actual aim

Posted

Here's another one... remember how we used to claim how we were destroying the ozone? What happened with that?

How about losing all of our breathable air due to deforestation of the Brazilian rainforest? It's pratically gone compared to what it was... we have WAY more people... yet we still have air. How did that happen?

Remember "part of this balanced breakfast" with eggs, bacon, buttered toast, cereal, and whole milk? We then said eggs, bacon, whole milk, and butter were bad... then we recanted... all within two decades. How did that happen?

Remember the scare of global cooling in the 70s? Eugenics? Early iterations of natural selection? Inability of man to fly? Breaking the sound barrier? Space travel? Bilious humours?

All of these within a couple of centuries, and all wrong.

Nevermind those of us that choose to look at the totality of evidence... carry on with the latest fashions of what qualifies as knowledge as you see fit. Regardless of your rationalizations, it doesn't change what is. You'll have to find a way to dealing with being wrong... you should be comfortable enough with it as you embrace it so much.

Posted

About that conspiracy theory forum someone suggested awhile back...

Posted

About that conspiracy theory forum someone suggested awhile back...

Have we already gotten to the part where we try to derail a reasoned response with a snarky remark? Same ole', same ole'....

Jeez, I feel myself getting dumber every time I look at these posts. I'm doing the first intelligent thing since visting the Tinderbox by simply leaving you wood nymphs to your own mutual masturbations.

Posted

You all just wait until the oceans get warm enough for the frozen methane at the bottom to start melting and bubbling up to the atmosphere. Then things will get real fun. Methane is about 20 times more effective as a greenhouse gas than CO2

Posted

Here's another one... remember how we used to claim how we were destroying the ozone? What happened with that?

How about losing all of our breathable air due to deforestation of the Brazilian rainforest?

Still there... Still there.

In fact the ozone hole is still widening due to pollution from the 70s.

Posted

You all just wait until the oceans get warm enough for the frozen methane at the bottom to start melting and bubbling up to the atmosphere. Then things will get real fun. Methane is about 20 times more effective as a greenhouse gas than CO2

I'm already building a beach house in Antarctica.

Posted

Companies and governments greatly reduced the amount of CFCs they produced and the ozone layer started to repair itself. The ozone hole still exists over Antarctica though. Pretty cool how changes in our behavior can have an effect on the environment.