Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rayzor

darin gantt "Panthers keep finding scapegoats, bigger problem remains"

142 posts in this topic

You have to wonder with all these lower level firings why the guy that hired them to begin with isnt getting canned as well.

Thought about it last night - JR is holding on to Rivera for one reason - to save himself money. Its the only thing that makes any sort of sense.

Do you really think a NFL coach in his first stint as a HC....hires 20 coaches and they all mesh?

Some of our coaches are guys Rivera settled for as it would be impossible for him to build the staff he wanted immediately.

That isn't a RR thing. If RR was looking to make a scapegoat he would fire Chud. These aren't "scapegoats".

You have to wonder with all these lower level firings why the guy that hired them to begin with isnt getting canned as well.

Thought about it last night - JR is holding on to Rivera for one reason - to save himself money. Its the only thing that makes any sort of sense. Pitiful way to run a sports team and completely unfair to the fans of that team.

Money.

Exactly.

I read the article on Cowher today and wanted to just cry.

The people on here who wanted the college coach du jour just astound me.

Of course few of those are coughing up money each year for seats either.

No disrespect to anyone meant with that comment...its just when a person invests that kinda of money when money is a tight commodity, I need something more than 'but he shows other coaches how to run their offense'.

Cowher would be smart enough, and his reptuation good enough, that his staff would be quite special.

i don't have anything to add to this and i don't even agree with a lot of it. i just thought it should appear again.

Do you really think a NFL coach in his first stint as a HC....hires 20 coaches and they all mesh?

Some of our coaches are guys Rivera settled for as it would be impossible for him to build the staff he wanted immediately.

That isn't a RR thing. If RR was looking to make a scapegoat he would fire Chud. These aren't "scapegoats".

i think to an extent it is. rivera's got to make the boss happy and look like changes are gonna be made.

CRA, if they're not scapegoats then please tell me how much of an impact position coaches have on games on a week to week basis.

You do realize Rivera has been here with these guys for 2 full years? Why now?

I agree with you. At this point Rivera isn't replacing people to appease anyone or scapegoat anyone, IMO. He has essentially been given 1 year to get to the playoffs and he is doing everything he can to accomplish that. He thinks apparently that McDermott and Chud are keepers and frankly I agree.

Yeah Chud did not give Newton enough credit or leeway early on to do his thing but given the freedom he had later in the year and the change to more of a pro style offense, it hardly makes sense to change things that were working at the end of the year. Our offense was very good the last 5 or 6 games. That didn't happen by change or luck. After all the years when scoring 20 points was a real issue, you would think fans would be happy to have a top offense particularly when we got our act together. Sure we struggled early but how long has it been since we had a team that scored over 22 points a game in consecutive seasons. Yeah that would be 2004-2005. Even the Superbowl year in 2003 we averaged only 20 points a game.

As for McDermott, I think most folks are pretty okay with the defense at this point.

So who are left?? Yeah, Position folks. Who can tell me that making a change on special teams wasn't a good thing?? Who can tell me that canning Meeks wasn't a good thing if you want to go away from a cover 2 soft defense to a more aggressive man defense.

As for the current changes, who says that the running backs coach is doing a good job? I can't point to where he has done a good job, can you?? Have our wide receivers ever been all that great outside of Smith? Where are our Victor Cruzs? And who says that our linebacker play was great outside of Kuechly and Davis? If Rivera's job is on the line he surely should decide who he wants to live and die with instead of being second guessed because he made changes. As for sitting back and complaining about Hurney getting fired, who would do that in the position he was at at the time sitting at 2-8. Your team is doing lousy, your boss get fired, and you support him and say you think he should be kept??? A sure fire plan to find yourself out on the street kicking stones along with him.

Gantt is off base on this one. Sometimes he is spot on but not this time. As for him holding a grudge, I think there must have been some bad blood as to why he was canned from covering the Panthers and it is showing......

CRA, if they're not scapegoats then please tell me how much of an impact position coaches have on games on a week to week basis.

Who do you think spends all day every day in practice with them getting ready for the games. Practice is where you learn the skills you use on game day. Most players are much tighter with the position coaches than the coordinators and the head coach. They do all the dirty work to make the coordinators and head coaches look good on game day.

You do realize Rivera has been here with these guys for 2 full years? Why now?

He thought 2012 was going to be good, everyone did. Why make wholesale changes on a team going to the playoffs. Now his back is against the wall and he is looking to do everything he can to turn things around. So he has reevaluated things and is making changes. I think it is a good idea........

Who do you think spends all day every day in practice with them getting ready for the games. Practice is where you learn the skills you use on game day. Most players are much tighter with the position coaches than the coordinators and the head coach. They do all the dirty work to make the coordinators and head coaches look good on game day.

I'm aware of their duties.

My point was, how much of our problems were technique versus gameday decisions? Position coaches don't make those.