Photo
- - - - -

Do you think the new GM signing will get this franchise beyond 2nd place?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#31 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,758 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

And to answer the question of the thread, let me see who gets the job. Then I'll get back to you.

#32 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,590 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

seriously this "well other teams tolerated losing so why can't we" is the dumbest poo i've ever heard

#33 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,590 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

hey mr. belding let us know when the team has failed enough years and it's time to start winning when you're 70

that is if your brain hasn't succumbed to dementia yet

#34 Luuuuuuuuuuke59

Luuuuuuuuuuke59

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Talk poo about my mother,
Talk poo about my wife,
Talk poo about my dog,
Talk poo about my quarterback,

But please... dont ever talk poo about my pepsi or my krispy kreme... :thumbsd:

#35 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Do we know dates and times for the other GM interviews? What is our time table?

#36 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,758 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Do we know dates and times for the other GM interviews? What is our time table?

Person expects it to be concluded by week's end.

#37 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

A GM change affects long term health more than it does short term. Whoever it is will have to deal with a cap situation which will leave us short handed for a year or two. We essentially have the team that we will go forward with apart from our draft picks this year. Don't see us making a huge splash in FA.

Rivera and the coaching staff will have the brunt of responsibility to take us over the hump next year. If he doesn't, then the GM assumes responsibility to put in someone who he thinks can get us to the top. It will be a step-by-step process.

#38 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,371 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

seriously this "well other teams tolerated losing so why can't we" is the dumbest poo i've ever heard

Well I don't suggest reading your own posts.

To think, most people on the huddle want us to do exactly what caused our team to suck from 1997-2001: spend big on free agents, hire a "proven" coach, bring in WR after WR, etc

But yet saying we've been the most successful expansion team is stupid. Holy poo

#39 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,590 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

well if you want to hang your hat on being the arguably best expansion team but don't poo on what the team did from 1997-2001 because at least it looked like they were trying to be competitive

the franchise the last 7 years looks more like the guys who run it think we're going to backpedal into a superbowl win.

#40 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,590 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

if more teams decided not to pursue FAs because a few didn't work out then maybe they'd suck as bad as we have overall lately

#41 ickmule

ickmule

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Pepsi and Krispy Kreme are better than Coke and Dunkin Donuts.

DD has better coffee, but their donuts taste like ass compared to KK.

#42 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

This is my issue with this thread. People are basing the past on what will happen in the future and yet continue to ignore the bright spots.

Guess what? Despite how INCONSISTENT we were this year, we still finished 2nd in the division. We were still well in plenty of games this year against competitive opponents. How are we in any different shape than New Orleans was in 2009? Falcons were in 2008? We've had a couple of rough years but I like how people in this thread want to sit back and act as if that is a guarantee. We have a guy who looks like he'll be a 10 year starter for us barring injury and a damn good one at that at quarterback. We have some the pieces in place on defense (Kuechly, Johnson, Hardy all young and play important positions to allow us to build around them). And even despite all the injuries, we still fielded a very good albeit inconsistent defense. And offensively? Yeah, we know we can do better, but we have the talent in place and most of all, we have the quarterback.

Now could we suck for the next 10 years? Who knows, maybe Cam gets hurt and we just go into a downward spiral.

But the pessimistic attitude in this thread is not warranted. And this is coming from a guy who is far from a homer - I remember going at it with another poster who claimed before the season Cam > Romo. I'm not that guy. But it is completely ridiculous that people in this thread want to act like we're some franchise with no hope at all. We have a good amount of talent on this roster and finished 2nd in our division and despite what happened, the NFC South is still one of the toughest divisions and we still had one of the toughest schedules; just look at our first 9 or so games of the year!). I see no reason why we can't vault into the playoff hunt next year barring injury. Doesn't mean we will make it but I like how people are in here acting like we might not be competitive for the foreseeable future.

#43 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

we were one of three teams to finish 7-9 in the division and somehow managed to be considered 2nd in the division.

let's all hang our hats on being the best 7-9 losing team in the division.

#44 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

if more teams decided not to pursue FAs because a few didn't work out then maybe they'd suck as bad as we have overall lately

Oh yes, because Packers, Steelers, Ravens, Saints (and don't say Brees; a quarterback is pretty much an exception and even then, it took them awhile to get to the SB with Brees and them getting Sharper is no different than us bringing in Olsen), Giants, Seahawks, and 49ers are all known for picking up FAs nonstop. And before you mention "oh well 49ers signed manningham, moss alsd" those guys have hardly had much of an impact on their team and they did just fine without them. Even Falcons were built mostly through the draft. They were doing just fine before they traded for Samuels and them trading for Gonzalez isn't any different than us trading for Olsen, except Gonzalez was probably better (at the time, anyway).

You use FA to fill holes you may have after the draft, which we did (ala Dwan Edwards, trading for Greg Olsen, Ron Edwards, Hangartner even though he now sucks, Nakamura even though he sucks but it isn't like there was another safety out there and only DB we could have gotten was Samuels). But you build your team up through the draft. It isn't JR's fault Hurney was incapable of doing just that his final 3 years here (his '11 draft was horrific sans Cam).

But you are probably one of the ones who wanted to dump money for Mario Williams. He sure made that Bills squad better. Or maybe Aso? Yeah, Aso made Eagles better.

The huge issue with signing big name free agency players is, and Aso is a GREAT example, is due to the change of scheme. These guys were great but were great in one scheme. Sometimes you'll run into someone who flat out isn't a fit for the scheme you have already been implementing and Aso is a pure man corner, not someone who should be playing in zone. That is why a lot of FAs don't work out. And who says we won't be more active in FA with a different GM? Not big name guys but guys such as, say Pollard who isn't great but is solid? Guys like that.

This site though just seems to think if one thing happens here, it is guaranteed to happen again.

#45 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Many posters on this site feel if you don't have 10,000 posts of worthless crap then you don't know what you're talking about.

Still others feel that good posts can come from newbies or old posters. Crap comes in all shapes and sizes as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.