• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#151 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

For the sake of space, I didn't quote your entire post, but I endorse and agree with every word you wrote. Very well stated.

Thanks man. I've gotten a lot of practice saying that to my friends this year ha

#152 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

No we didn't start winning games because we stopped running the read option because he ran is all year long. we started winning games because we started to run it well like against the eagles, falcons and the bucs. So it's not like he stopped running it week 10 because we ran it just as much. look at the first two touchdowns against the eagles they were both play action read option. Chud didn't change week 10 the defense did and the offensive line did. Panthers vs Chargers 31 to 7 panthers won.. Chud vs Norv ..Chud won.

The amount of times we ran it is what you are ignoring. We're talking 3-5 times a game toward the end as opposed to 12 - 20 times early on. And in some of those early games we would only run it 12 or 14 times total(again a big problem). To me the read option is like playaction. You need to establish a power running game for it to work, because if the other team knows it's coming they are not waiting to bite on the fake. They will crash down and get to the back while he's standing still.
Cam became a better passer when they started running plays under center, Deangelo started looking like himself again when we ran prostyle runs, and then the read option worked because it was a wrinkle when we were already passing and running well. There's really no argument here because the proof is in the wins and our star players performances once he changed it. I think Chud can do well but Rivera better be ready to reign him in more and faster this year because it is hard to trust him. Our record in closing out games late is closely related to his playcalling.

#153 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

That's just not true.

We ran the read option much more early in the year than late in the year. Hell, in the last game against NO, we only ran it 3 times. Compare that to the 21 times we ran it against Atlanta early in the year, or 11 times vs Seattle, or 14 times against Dallas.

The 3 games you just listed are all games we could have won but the defense let get away

#154 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

The 3 games you just listed are all games we could have won but the defense let get away

I picked those games only because I happened to have that data handy. It doesn't change the point that our offense did, in fact, change dramatically from week 1 to week 17.

As the year went on, we ran more under center plays. We ran less read option. We utilized 2 TE sets much more than early in the year, and in general, kept more people in to block to assist the offensive line, giving our running backs room to run and giving Cam time to complete passes.

#155 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,865 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

For 5 mil I'll just take him out.

You need my Paypal info?

I was talking about team money but sure man pm me that poo

#156 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

That's just not true.

We ran the read option much more early in the year than late in the year. Hell, in the last game against NO, we only ran it 3 times. Compare that to the 21 times we ran it against Atlanta early in the year, or 11 times vs Seattle, or 14 times against Dallas.

Where are those read option numbers from?

The read option did die late....but that probably had something to do with the fact Newton and Williams literally fought over the ball. I do question the chemistry between those two...

When Stewart was still in the lineup the usage of the read option seemed to change based on opponent. For example, disappeared against Chicago and returned the next week against the Skins

#157 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Where are those read option numbers from?

The read option did die late....but that probably had something to do with the fact Newton and Williams literally fought over the ball. I do question the chemistry between those two...

When Stewart was still in the lineup the usage of the read option seemed to change based on opponent. For example, disappeared against Chicago and returned the next week against the Skins

Early in the year, it seemed to me our offense had changed quite a bit from last year. So I went back and started reviewing games from last year and this year with pen and paper in hand. I charted things like formation, run or pass, shotgun or under center, type of run play (i.e. I form, read option, traditional shotgun handoff, etc), play fake or no, etc.

Going through that exercise made it glaring that we had indeed changed our offense from last year. And there is no doubt whatsoever that it changed again later this year. But yeah, those numbers are some of the data still around from when I charted plays.

#158 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Early in the year, it seemed to me our offense had changed quite a bit from last year. So I went back and started reviewing games from last year and this year with pen and paper in hand. I charted things like formation, run or pass, shotgun or under center, type of run play (i.e. I form, read option, traditional shotgun handoff, etc), play fake or no, etc.

Going through that exercise made it glaring that we had indeed changed our offense from last year. And there is no doubt whatsoever that it changed again later this year. But yeah, those numbers are some of the data still around from when I charted plays.

Well, I am still a big believer the read option didn't work well bc we changed the personel we used when running it early. We ran it using 2 TE sets last year and late this year. Makes a difference IMO.

I do think we ran to too much but it is a good play overall

#159 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,710 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

According to The Canton Repository (really? there's a newspaper called The Canton Repository?) the Browns are expected to wrap up their head coaching search this weekend.

They've had Ken Whisenhunt in for a second interview already.

#160 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

According to The Canton Repository (really? there's a newspaper called The Canton Repository?) the Browns are expected to wrap up their head coaching search this weekend.

They've had Ken Whisenhunt in for a second interview already.

Damn! That doesn't sound good.

#161 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,958 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Defense held Seattle to 16 pts that afternoon. And the offense managed only 12 pts and Cam threw a potential game winning 3 yd TD pass into the ground ...missing a wide open TE.

Laughable that you would try and hang that loss on the defense. That was totally on the offense.

#162 Panthers4lyfe

Panthers4lyfe

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot
In addition to #Browns interviewing Ken Whisenhunt for a 2nd time today, they still really like #Panthers OC Rob Chudzinski.

theres still a chance boys! Gettleman, Norv & toub would be a heck of a start to the offseason! 1/3 so far. come on brownies

#163 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Well, I am still a big believer the read option didn't work well bc we changed the personel we used when running it early. We ran it using 2 TE sets last year and late this year. Makes a difference IMO.

I do think we ran to too much but it is a good play overall

That's a good point. I think not using 2 TE's hurt our passing and running game. I'm not opposed to using the read option at all, just think when it's too much it becomes easy to defend. When it was used more sparingly it was way more effective. Us going with so many spread formations in general(no TE's or RB's in) seems like a bad idea with the Oline we have.

#164 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,873 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Defense held Seattle to 16 pts that afternoon. And the offense managed only 12 pts and Cam threw a potential game winning 3 yd TD pass into the ground ...missing a wide open TE.

Laughable that you would try and hang that loss on the defense. That was totally on the offense.

Didn't help that our best WR was busier trying to show up a CB than pay attention to our offense...

#165 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

it's gonna be Zimmer or Wisenhunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.