174 replies to this topic

#76 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

if Chud leaves, are we absolutely sure Norv Turner is the best replacement? and if not him, then who? say what you want about his frustrating qualities (and I am right there with you), who brings a similar flexibility and innovative approach to coordinating an offense?

If Chud left and we were not able to get Norv Turner, i feel that current QB Coach Mike Shula might have a shot at the position. Regardless of what happens, my belief is that Shula is a talent on his way up,if not here,then elsewhere.

#77 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,071 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Do you guys think Norv would want to come here? I know Rivera is here and all but wouldn't the job security scare him?

There's also this young guy named Scott on staff that he knows kind of well.

He might be a little interested in working with that guy (perhaps even molding into a successor).

#78 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,609 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

If Chud left and we were not able to get Norv Turner, i feel that current QB Coach Mike Shula might have a shot at the position. Regardless of what happens, my belief is that Shula is a talent on his way up,if not here,then elsewhere.

Why do you feel this way?

#79 broseidon

broseidon

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationYour daughters dorm room

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Norv > Chud

#80 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Despite getting way too crazy and experimental with out offense during the first half of the season Chud is still a really good young OC. Our offensive has never been so good the last two years.

I was happy with the fact he was staying. Cam in year 3 with the same system and same guy is a positive. The only way I want Chud to leave is if we can get Norv and the reason I say that is Norv's head coaching experience and vast experience in the same system we run now. I'm a Ron Rivera supporter but we really could benefit from of previous head coaching experience and more experience staff members (the real reason I think we let go of some of our coaches).

Say we lose Chud and don't get Norv. Then what? After you get past maybe Whisenhunt who's out there you want more than Chud?

I think many of you need to refresh your memories with Jeff Davidson or Dan, draw play, Hennig. Chud's play calling is light years better than any of our past OC.

#81 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Why do you feel this way?

This was discussed on the radio today...feeling that if Chud leaves, the OC position could be considered as less than stable (if Rivera is let go next year) therefore making the position here less attractive to outside candidates.

#82 pilot2011

pilot2011

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Last time I checked, Chud isn't the reason Nakamura can only jump 3 inches off the ground.

He isn't the reason Cam decided to throw the ball into the dirt against Seattle.

need I go on?.. yea we know his read option sucks now, but I'm pretty sure he knows that too. The running game will be fixed or they know they will be fired. I like Chud as the OC and I hope he is here for a while.

#83 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Turner is probably a shoe in then.

#84 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,071 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Turner is probably a shoe in then.

Wouldn't call him a shoo-in, but he and Scott are said to be close so I'd have to think that's a draw for him, quite possibly a bigger draw than working with an old friend like Rivera.

And it would give the staff someone with HC experience.

#85 Johnny Rockets

Johnny Rockets

Mayor of Awesomeville

• HUDDLER
  • 6,160 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Funny how everyone was so scared he was leaving last year and this year people want to see him gone. He really is no different this year than last except that now he might be a little wiser.

I don't get it either...last year he was a God around here and the offense really seemes to start clicking towards the end of this year no?

I was listening to Mark Schlereth referencing the Carolina offense today and it made some sense. He was saying that in the beginning of the year their goal was to run an offense that protected their franchise QB (Cam) a bit more while hopefully putting up points. When they found out that wasn't going to work they opened it up and the results came around but it was too little too late. I don't know if he was just speculating or if there is actual truth behind it.

I am just some schlub that lays on the couch with my girlfriend on Sundays and watches the Panthers game while nursing Saturday nights hangover but maybe one of you game tape nerds that watches over and over again can elaborate a bit more. Did the offense change as the season went on? Maybe it wasn't all on Chud...maybe he was doing what he was told to do in the beginning of the year? Or maybe I should just post in the Lounge and stay out of Panther football discussions? These questions need answers.

#86 il Malocchio

il Malocchio

formerly j2sgam...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,015 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Does this mean we will need a new backup QB? Chud & DA are a "proven" good combination.. And what will happen to the Jimmyz?

Im not sold on the idea of Norv. Should he become OC, the should Rivera lose his job next season, I DO NOT want Norv to be considered for the HC position.. I realize that is a lot of 'what if', but I am scared to even consider the possibility...

#87 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,071 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I don't get it either...last year he was a God around here and the offense really seemes to start clicking towards the end of this year no?

I was listening to Mark Schlereth referencing the Carolina offense today and it made some sense. He was saying that in the beginning of the year their goal was to run an offense that protected their franchise QB (Cam) a bit more while hopefully putting up points. When they found out that wasn't going to work they opened it up and the results came around but it was too little too late. I don't know if he was just speculating or if there is actual truth behind it.

I am just some schlub that lays on the couch with my girlfriend on Sundays and watches the Panthers game while nursing Saturday nights hangover but maybe one of you game tape nerds that watches over and over again can elaborate a bit more. Did the offense change as the season went on? Maybe it wasn't all on Chud...maybe he was doing what he was told to do in the beginning of the year? Or maybe I just just post in the Lounge and stay out of Panther football discussions? These questions need answers.

As the year went on, they gradually moved away from the read-option and ran more plays with Newton under center. It was indeed more effective.

#88 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,071 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Does this mean we will need a new backup QB? Chud & DA are a "proven" good combination.. And what will happen to the Jimmyz?

Don't think he'd take Clausen (Jimmy belongs on a WCO team).

Anderson's an interesting question though. I forget if he's a free agent.

Also gotta wonder if he'd want to trade for one of our runningbacks.

#89 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

You watch with our luck he's gonna go to the browns and make the playoffs and were gonna be stuck with Shula and miss him more than ever this year as much as we were afraid of him leaving last year.

#90 il Malocchio

il Malocchio

formerly j2sgam...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,015 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Don't think he'd take Clausen (Jimmy belongs on a WCO team).

Anderson's an interesting question though. I forget if he's a free agent.

Also gotta wonder if he'd want to trade for one of our runningbacks.

The Clausen remark was completely facetious..

I did wonder about the DA bit though...

They can have A.Smith for a 3rd....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com