What's Wrong With Kids Today

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,551 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

The two boys are 7 years old and in the first grade at H.W. Longfellow Elementary School on Milwaukee's near south side.

On Thursday, when classes resumed after the holidays, David and Exavier overheard another boy saying he received no gifts for Christmas.

"He didn't have a Christmas tree, so Santa didn't bring him nothing," David said.
There's a kid's logic to that explanation. No tree, so no gifts to go underneath. It's easier than pondering poverty and whatever else was happening at that home.

After school at basketball practice, David and Exavier talked about it and decided what they would do.

David went home and picked a book from his shelf about the talking race car from the movie "Cars."

"I wrapped it. I did by myself," he said.

Exavier took a piece of construction paper and some colored pencils and drew a picture of Longfellow's holiday student play, which the other boy had been in. "I messed up a little bit. I tried to draw everybody," he said. This would be his gift.

On Friday, Exavier quietly tucked the picture inside the desk of the boy skipped by Santa. The boy found it and was happily surprised. Then David handed the wrapped book to the classmate.
It was then that the two teachers in Room 117 realized what was happening. Melony Bukosky and Jodi Hockerman had not orchestrated any of this or discussed it in class. They were witnessing what Bukosky would later describe in a letter to Principal Wendell Smith as "the most amazing random act of kindness by first-graders."

"I was crying my eyes out," said Bukosky, who shared the story with me.

The boy who received the gifts cried, too, and said it felt good to get presents. You hear a lot about bullying at school. This would be its polar opposite. Bukosky told David and Exavier that their gesture had filled her heart with warmth and happiness.

http://www.jsonline....-186084331.html

Whatever. Kids are awesome, you old farts.

#2 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,388 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

That's awesome but who's saying something is wrong with kids?

#3 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,648 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

That's awesome but who's saying something is wrong with kids?

Lazy parents who let tv and video games babysit their kids.

#4 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,785 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Awesome story and their parents should be very proud

#5 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,401 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Maybe the recipient was Muslim or Jewish or a Jehovah's witness and didn't know how to explain that to his classmates?

Either way...it is pretty awesome that kids take the initiative sometimes and surprise the heck out of you.

#6 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,264 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

At some schools the kid would get in trouble for that.

True story

#7 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,648 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

At some schools the kid would get in trouble for that.

True story

I was expecting to see that at the end of the article...

#8 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,298 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

very good to see.

#9 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Signs this country is officially going to poo

#10 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,344 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

This is precisely how you create and entitlement society. This loser kid had a chance to learn a valuable lesson, life isn't fair, having lazy parents equals no Christmas present for you! That experience would have inspired him to work hard and become somebody. Instead, he is now aware that others have more than he does and if he makes them feel guilty, he might get some stuff for free. Bet these do-gooder kids won't feel so great in twenty years when their hard earned tax dollars are going to support this unemployed, disability drawing, reproducing like a rabbit, high as a kite, ward of the state.

#11 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

This is precisely how you create and entitlement society. This loser kid had a chance to learn a valuable lesson, life isn't fair, having lazy parents equals no Christmas present for you! That experience would have inspired him to work hard and become somebody. Instead, he is now aware that others have more than he does and if he makes them feel guilty, he might get some stuff for free. Bet these do-gooder kids won't feel so great in twenty years when their hard earned tax dollars are going to support this unemployed, disability drawing, reproducing like a rabbit, high as a kite, ward of the state.

he definitely missed out on the valuable lesson that rich kids get more for christmas because they are inherently better (see: http://en.wikipedia....perity_theology)

#12 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,388 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Lol

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,981 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

I agree with Hatter, those boys should be applauded for their act of kindness.

#14 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I agree with Hatter, those boys should be applauded for their act of kindness.

I don't

Speaking for old people I think we should keep constantly denigrating younger generations for everything they do out of sheer youth envy

#15 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

You're an idiot.

The problem with this country is rich assholes who are never satisfied with what they have. Sharing and kindness is something that this country needs a little bit more of. But I guess you would have rather have a rich kid take the poor kid's only GI Joe or some poo because that's how it goes in real life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com