272 replies to this topic

#151 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,517 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Nice! Good hire. Maybe JR is finally starting to stop settling and start going for the best.

#152 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,369 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I'm curious as to the length and size of his contract.

#153 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

60 isn't really old for his position. I don't see why people are harping on that for. It just means that he's wiser and has more experience. From the very beginning I liked Gettleman the most. He has a proven track record of greatness that likely won't stop here. I also love that he's even recently been actively involved with scouting other teams. He seems like a true football guy who really understands the sport and how it works. I'm really excited for the hire.

#154 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Matt Harriss (yes, apparently that's how it's spelled) is listed on the Giants website as Director of Football Operations (no bio).

Amusingly enough, that's the same title Brandon Beane held before being named interim GM.

Hm?

Harriss is in his seventh season within the football operations department of the New York Giants. He joined the organization just prior to the 2006 NFL Draft. In his first year with the Giants, Harriss assisted former general manager Ernie Accorsi in his final season with the team. He has since worked with assistant general manager Kevin Abrams on all aspects of the salary cap, CBA compliance and player contract negotiations. Prior to joining the Giants, Harriss spent five seasons in the NFL League Office. He began as an intern in the Football Operations department in September 2001, and by December he became a player personnel analyst for the Management Council. His responsibilities included salary cap and free agency management, annual NFL draft eligibility, as well as being versed on all personnel rules in order to assist the 32 NFL teams. During his last three seasons in the league office, Harriss also worked with the officiating department as an instant replay booth communicator during games. Harriss graduated from Lafayette College in 2001 with a degree in history. A native of Bronxville, N.Y., he now resides in Manhattan.

http://www.giants.co...88-3bbeed0a95e8

#155 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Garofolo also says there's a guy named Matt Harris who works in the Giants FO that Gettleman might bring along as a possible "cap guy".

Edit: CPF96 beat me to it :lol:

Do you have a link good sir?

#156 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hm?

http://www.giants.co...88-3bbeed0a95e8

Went to the Giants "Front Office" page. His name is listed there but it doesn't have a link. His bio is apparently still on the site but the link from that page is disabled for some reason.

Guessing you direct searched. Probably what I should have done :lol:

Do you have a link good sir?

I didn't, but UNCR did (look above).

#157 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Went to the Giants "Front Office" page. His name is listed there but it doesn't have a link.

Guessing you direct searched. Probably what I should have done :lol:

Ha yep, the power of Google. Seeing as he assisted Accorsi and handles all of the salary cap/CBA compliance stuff, I could definitely see him following Gettleman here.

#158 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 12,486 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I don't mind older GMs with a lot of experience, as long as when it comes to coaching hires they understand that the NFL is evolving and isn't afraid to think outside the box a little bit.

#159 AceMan

AceMan

Chief Prosecutor

• HUDDLER
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Love it

#160 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,632 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Ha yep, the power of Google. Seeing as he assisted Accorsi and handles all of the salary cap/CBA compliance stuff, I could definitely see him following Gettleman here.

Five years working with the League Management Council on salary cap matters before joining the Giants in 2006 where he's been working with Assistant GM Kevin Abrams in "all aspects of the salary cap, CBA compliance and player contract negotiations."

Sounds like it'd be a great idea to bring him along as a cap manager.

#161 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Posted Image

#162 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

This is a really great hire. I'm happy for our organization. The guy was involved with the Bills, the Broncos and the Giants when they were winners. I'm sure he learned a lot and is ready to emulate some of the best that ever ran those teams

#163 iampantherman

iampantherman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

I'm so happy that JR has gone this route. Hopefully this is the dawn of a bright new day for Panthers' football and their fans!

#164 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Carolina Giants!!!!!!
The last time we hired a NYG guy, it turned out great. Lets do it all over again.
Gettleman is a great hire and will turn this bull$hit around quickly.

I can already see Kenny Phillips landing here and Hakeem Nicks real soon.

#165 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

______CYA_____

• HUDDLER
  • 15,977 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

I like it. Wonder who the HC will in 2014?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.