148 replies to this topic

#16 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Don't blame us blame Richard Foul.

I think Richard has fouled out of one game this year so far. He had 1 foul last night thru about 30 mins while playing against two monster big men. Last year we blew a 20pt lead in part because the refs got ticky tack. You can't deny it...so well see what happens but the refs need to let these teams play down low and of you're going to be ticky tack they better be that way on both ends. Because everyone knows Duke plays D by reaching in.

#17 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Ryan Kelly guarding most any 3 in D1 is bad news and rarely ever happens. Wood flat out sucks outside of shooting the ball...but watching Kelly chase him through ball screens would be laughable.

#18 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Ryan Kelly guarding most any 3 in D1 is bad news and rarely ever happens. Wood flat out sucks outside of shooting the ball...but watching Kelly chase him through ball screens would be laughable.

Actually Duke switches on most screens and Kelly can hold his own against 3's especially 3's that have Scott Wood's skill set.

#19 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

I think Richard has fouled out of one game this year so far. He had 1 foul last night thru about 30 mins while playing against two monster big men. Last year we blew a 20pt lead in part because the refs got ticky tack. You can't deny it...so well see what happens but the refs need to let these teams play down low and of you're going to be ticky tack they better be that way on both ends. Because everyone knows Duke plays D by reaching in.

That's funny since the second half of the game last year State was called for 14 fouls and Duke was called for 12, and keep in mind two of those State fouls were intentional in the last minute to stop the clock and hopefully get the ball back. I do agree to letting the teams play, the officials in the unc/Miami game last night let both teams play and it made for an enjoyable game to watch unlike a free throw shooting contest.

#20 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Actually Duke switches on most screens and Kelly can hold his own against 3's especially 3's that have Scott Wood's skill set.

Every team switches on screens?...it's what you do on defense and why people run screens, to create mismatches.

I grew up a Duke fan/still watch every game, I know what kind of player Kelly is. The double screens and reverses Wood runs along the baseline...6-11, slow ass Ryan Kelly cannot keep up with. The 3's from GT the other night obviously couldn't, and Kelly sure as hell won't. Sheed, Murphy, Amile, and even Curry will be on Wood more than Kelly ever will.

I mean, essentially with your original assumption of Kelly guarding Wood...you're having who exactly guard Leslie at the 4? Mason? Then Sheed guard Howell? Your original assumption was laughable...now with your "Duke switches on screens" comment...it's getting sadder.

#21 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

That's funny since the second half of the game last year State was called for 14 fouls and Duke was called for 12, and keep in mind two of those State fouls were intentional in the last minute to stop the clock and hopefully get the ball back. I do agree to letting the teams play, the officials in the unc/Miami game last night let both teams play and it made for an enjoyable game to watch unlike a free throw shooting contest.

Right but what you aren't taking into account is that Duke basically hacked the crap out of our guys in the post while Seth Curry and Austin Rivers dribbled around 15 feet from the bucket the whole game and still drew fouls. The foul disparity shouldn't have even been close considering the style of play by both teams. But because Duke gets away with reaching against everyone and their guards shoulder into the defender to create contact 15 feet from the bucket (which technically isn't a foul on the defender)...the fouls were close.

Watch the game and you will see that Duke's "aggressive" style of defense on the perimeter will rarely get called for a reach in and their opponent will get called every time for the same style of play.

#22 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Every team switches on screens?...it's what you do on defense and why people run screens, to create mismatches.

I grew up a Duke fan/still watch every game, I know what kind of player Kelly is. The double screens and reverses Wood runs along the baseline...6-11, slow ass Ryan Kelly cannot keep up with. The 3's from GT the other night obviously couldn't, and Kelly sure as hell won't. Sheed, Murphy, Amile, and even Curry will be on Wood more than Kelly ever will.

I mean, essentially with your original assumption of Kelly guarding Wood...you're having who exactly guard Leslie at the 4? Mason? Then Sheed guard Howell? Your original assumption was laughable...now with your "Duke switches on screens" comment...it's getting sadder.

Not every team plans to switch on screens some teams try and fight through. Have you ever heard of Switching M2M vs. M2M straight up? M2M straight up is where you fight through the screen to stay with your man compared to Switching M2M which means you switch off the player you are guarding when the screen is set. Come on son that is middle school basketball knowledge.

#23 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Right but what you aren't taking into account is that Duke basically hacked the crap out of our guys in the post while Seth Curry and Austin Rivers dribbled around 15 feet from the bucket the whole game and still drew fouls. The foul disparity shouldn't have even been close considering the style of play by both teams. But because Duke gets away with reaching against everyone and their guards shoulder into the defender to create contact 15 feet from the bucket (which technically isn't a foul on the defender)...the fouls were close.

Watch the game and you will see that Duke's "aggressive" style of defense on the perimeter will rarely get called for a reach in and their opponent will get called every time for the same style of play.

Damn that is a lot of crying/bitching/moaning. Richard Howell fouled out of 5 games last year and had 14 games with 4 fouls so the guy was a fouling machine. I mean the difference in the game was how much better we shot the ball from 3 in the second half, 40% compared to 14% in the first half. Plus we only turned the ball over twice in the second half.

#24 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Not every team plans to switch on screens some teams try and fight through. Have you ever heard of Switching M2M vs. M2M straight up? M2M straight up is where you fight through the screen to stay with your man compared to Switching M2M which means you switch off the player you are guarding when the screen is set. Come on son that is middle school basketball knowledge.

No poo you fight through screens in M2M. Everyone tries to fight through screens and everyone switches depending on the situations...it's all a part of M2M/Basketball in general. But again, and as you ignored this post, you also thought Kelly would be matched up on Wood. And you're questioning my knowledge? Lulz.

#25 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

No poo you fight through screens in M2M. Everyone tries to fight through screens and everyone switches depending on the situations...it's all a part of M2M/Basketball in general. But again, and as you ignored this post, you also thought Kelly would be matched up on Wood. And you're questioning my knowledge? Lulz.

No they don't, you really need to google the difference between the two because you don't know what you are talking about. Like I said Straight up M2M you as the defender fight through the screen, if you are running a Switching M2M when the screen is set you switch off, they are two different defenses that a team can run. Yes the defense that Duke runs there would be times that Kelly would guard Wood especially if Wood was getting his shot off over our smaller guards.

#26 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Sweet Jesus...Yes, teams can do that. But if teams constantly knew Duke would do this (switch and not fight through screens)...why would State not come down the court every single time and set a screen for Lorenzo to get matched up on Mason/Howell to get matched up on Cook? Teams switch, yes. Teams also fight through screens...as my post said. It said both of those, because both happen.

If you don't see a Duke player fight through a screen during tomorrows game, let me know.

And you went from Kelly guarding Wood to now it's only certain times or when we was getting his shot off. So now Kelly is going to play the 3 while Hairston/Amile play the 4 against Leslie? Just, no.

#27 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Damn that is a lot of crying/bitching/moaning. Richard Howell fouled out of 5 games last year and had 14 games with 4 fouls so the guy was a fouling machine. I mean the difference in the game was how much better we shot the ball from 3 in the second half, 40% compared to 14% in the first half. Plus we only turned the ball over twice in the second half.

It also helped that CJL fouled out with 15 mins left in the game and Howell fouled out not long after I believe. But well see what happens Saturday...hopefully it won't be a foul fest but I doubt it.

#28 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Sweet Jesus...Yes, teams can do that. But if teams constantly knew Duke would do this (switch and not fight through screens)...why would State not come down the court every single time and set a screen for Lorenzo to get matched up on Mason/Howell to get matched up on Cook? Teams switch, yes. Teams also fight through screens...as my post said. It said both of those, because both happen.

If you don't see a Duke player fight through a screen during tomorrows game, let me know.

And you went from Kelly guarding Wood to now it's only certain times or when we was getting his shot off. So now Kelly is going to play the 3 while Hairston/Amile play the 4 against Leslie? Just, no.

Sorry but you just don't get it. Watch the game and we can discuss it afterwards.

#29 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Saturday 12.00 pm can't get here fast enough

#30 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Yes, I am the one who clearly doesn't get it, despite you thinking Kelly would guard Wood, etc.

Enjoy the game.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: duke, nc state, basketball, ALL THOSE JIMMIES, ALL THAT RUSTLIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.